U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM

4,853 posts, read 6,370,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Nice map find. The only club I would like to see relocate is Chivas. Maybe to San Diego?? I really don't see MLS working in Cleveland. And, Miami and Tampa have already failed once. Anyone remember when Rochester, NY was supposed to be the next big MLS city? Whatever happened with that?
Rochester tried to force the issue buy expanding their stadium. Not sure what happened after that but I don't think MLS ever wanted them to begin with.

Tampa and Miami failed when the league was struggling. Tampa and Orlando have serious cash behind them now. Money talks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
So what did the San Jose fans do? Just let it happen?
.... yeah.

The only fans that have ANY power over a team moving or not are the Green Bay Packers. The reason for this is because the Packers are actually owned by several stock holders/Packer fans, not one single owner or small group.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times
Can you imagine Seattle was gonna be moved, I doubt their fans would just sit back and watch.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
I didn't even realize Florida was devoid of a team, funny. Pretty much the whole Southeast is teamless. I'm going to do a little research on value of clubs, I haven't done that for the MLS, yet.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Can you imagine Seattle was gonna be moved, I doubt their fans would just sit back and watch.
Yeah, they would. They're not the owners.

You gotta understand, this sport is a bit different over here than it is in Europe.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
If you own a business, you have the ability to move it. Team's in England could technically relocate too. Not that it would happen, but it is a possibility.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM

What is this map based on? Cities do not get sports franchises. The ownership group is the main and by far, the most important component and most of the cities you list do not have an ownership group in place. NY is the exception to this rule as MLS is trying to force together something so they can get more money for future TV contracts.

Right now, the only cities in play for expansion in MLS are NY and Orlando. There have been murmurs of possible ownership groups in Miami, Atlanta, and Detroit but they are very far off from doing anything.

Sadly, St. Louis will probably never get an MLS team. Their ownership group proved to be unstable and didnt even have the financial stability to support a lower division team for a full season.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Orlando has plans and is backed by deep pockets and a British group is trying to make some waves in Tampa. There's been persisting rumors that Chivas USA will re-brand and move to San Diego.

Those arent rumors, those are MLS fans wishing it would happen. Chivas ownership has made it clear they are not rebranding or moving the team. They are working on getting their own stadium within the LA market.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What is this map based on? Cities do not get sports franchises. The ownership group is the main and by far, the most important component and most of the cities you list do not have an ownership group in place. NY is the exception to this rule as MLS is trying to force together something so they can get more money for future TV contracts.

Right now, the only cities in play for expansion in MLS are NY and Orlando. There have been murmurs of possible ownership groups in Miami, Atlanta, and Detroit but they are very far off from doing anything.

Sadly, St. Louis will probably never get an MLS team. Their ownership group proved to be unstable and didnt even have the financial stability to support a lower division team for a full season.
I believe this map is just based on cities that are or at least have been looked into for expansion (that's why I said "they left out El Paso") and I do question the possibility of a couple towns on this map, to be honest.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you own a business, you have the ability to move it. Team's in England could technically relocate too. Not that it would happen, but it is a possibility.
Look what happened to Wimbledon. They wanted to move them to Dublin as Dublin Dons, big protests and they ended up going to MK and being the MK Dons. Fans stood their ground and setup AFC Wimbledon or whatever it is called. I admire them a lot. Thats not possible in MLS though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer