U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I think a lot of MLS fans are world soccer fans. MLS is an opportunity to watch games live...that is how I started following the Chicago Fire. One reason I like the playoff system for MLS at this stage of development is there is no popular champions league, like in Europe. I view that as the playoffs. We have the Concacaf Champions league, but it is not that important right now.

I do worry about expanding the league too much, as I believe salaries for the MLS need to increase for mid level players. The reason, it will greatly increase the quality of the league...in my opinion.

I feel teams have a few really good players, but many teams get thin about 10 in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
They already have a cup but only Four teams compete The Three Canadian teams from MLS + FC Edmonton. I don't think they can make a Four team league work but Canada should have their own league because Ive never heard of two countries sharing a league
canada has enough major cities to have there own league. just look at the canadian football league. it only has canadian teams and they have 10 teams.a 10 team football league isn't bad denmark's league only has 10 teams and so does scotland. But the biggest advantage of all would be more development of the sport on both sides of the border.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
The CFL is expanding to 9 teams with the addition of an Ottawa franchise - an all canadian soccer league would fail on it's face .... not only would it have trouble getting exposure and generating revenue the costs associated would really hurt the teams in regards to travel, etc.

Works out best to have the major cities play in a league with the US major cities - which will increase exposure and revenue for both

As for expansion - it's needed to continue to open up markets and drive revenue ... without revenue there will never be a chance to escalate salaries and be more competative from that standpoint ..... it's a long run plan though and will have some test & adjust but capping the number of teams to some arbitrary # like 20 is just silly

Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,173,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I think MLS should kick the canadian teams out of the league. I know that in the other major sports the 2 countries share the league but for soccer I think each country should have their own league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
I don't think they can make a Four team league work but Canada should have their own league because Ive never heard of two countries sharing a league

I think it is great that there are Canadian teams. The addition of Toronto saved the league. There are Welsh teams in the English Premier League and a Monégasque team in the French Ligue1.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM

21,320 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
canada has enough major cities to have there own league. just look at the canadian football league. it only has canadian teams and they have 10 teams.a 10 team football league isn't bad denmark's league only has 10 teams and so does scotland. But the biggest advantage of all would be more development of the sport on both sides of the border.
funny, I had to think hard to realize if Miami was still part of the U.S. or not

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
funny, I had to think hard to realize if Miami was still part of the U.S. or not
I don't known, do you doubt marc anthony's citzenship too?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM

21,320 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
I don't known, do you doubt marc anthony's citzenship too?
Rome, if I remember my history lessons correctly.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,628,543 times
A Canadian league would be a joke. The difference btwn Canada and Denmark/Scotland is that soccer is the distant #2 or #3 sport in Canada but #1 in the other two.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Keywords: THREE YEARS AGO. Meaning that this happened in the past. Considering the numbers, and that ONE example you presented, I think you're exaggerating a bit.

I suggest you just let these guys do their jobs because the MLS isn't exactly getting less popular.
last seasons MLS Cup didn't get better ratings than the MLS Cup three years ago. And last season's MLS Cup had the LA Galaxy in it with the added storyline of it being Beckham's last game. It got an abysmal 0.7 rating.

MLS Cup Drew An Abysmal 0.7 Rating, Worse Than Third Round of Golf’s World Challenge | The Big Lead

when LA Galaxy was on Fox Sports West they never got more than 16,000 television viewers. That is shockingly low. From the LA Times:

Although the Galaxy has been the league's marquee franchise since signing Beckham before the 2007 season, it has not been a ratings winner for FSW, never drawing more than 16,000 homes, a .28 rating. In the last few years, ratings have dropping as low as .11%.
Galaxy to switch TV broadcasts to Time Warner Cable - Los Angeles Times

So when I say that the majority of American soccer fans do not support MLS I am not just making it up. I have the facts to back up that statement.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
A Canadian league would be a joke. The difference btwn Canada and Denmark/Scotland is that soccer is the distant #2 or #3 sport in Canada but #1 in the other two.
why does it matter what # a sport is in a country? So soccer is probably #4 or #5 in Canada(just like US). I'm curious why people think this is a reason that they cannot support a league.

The population of Scotland is 5.2 million. The population of Canada is 34.4 million. Soccer is never going to become the national sport in Canada, but the population is certainly big enough to where they could support their own league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer