U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM

245 posts, read 256,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
MLS attendance has always been good. Even in the 90's when soccer had yet to make it over here. The attendance has gone up as expected. But what about TV ratings? Why aren't American soccer fans following the league and watching it on TV?
Because whoever loves his home MLS team attend their games. The supporters atmosphere for the local team is fun but the league system is weird. As for tv rating most of the games are censored except your local team and therefore I will not pay an extra 100 $ to watch games like Seattle sounders vs La Galaxy while I am a DC United fan. I may watch the free games if it is on ESPN or NBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,200,442 times
Quote:
MLS attendance has always been good. Even in the 90's when soccer had yet to make it over here. The attendance has gone up as expected. But what about TV ratings? Why aren't American soccer fans following the league and watching it on TV?
I don't think you realize that some sports were made for tv and others weren't. In this country, soccer is one of those sports that were NOT made for tv, so you won't have as much viewership as football or basketball.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Because whoever loves his home MLS team attend their games. The supporters atmosphere for the local team is fun but the league system is weird. As for tv rating most of the games are censored except your local team and therefore I will not pay an extra 100 $ to watch games like Seattle sounders vs La Galaxy while I am a DC United fan. I may watch the free games if it is on ESPN or NBC
$50 a year for an MLS subscription, well worth it as you can watch full, condensed highlights of all games. Its how I watch MLS and wouldnt have it any other way. Get a Roku and watch it on the TV too.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,502,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't think you realize that some sports were made for tv and others weren't. In this country, soccer is one of those sports that were NOT made for tv, so you won't have as much viewership as football or basketball.
uh no. That's not it. Soccer is made for TV. It gets great ratings during World Cup time. Same with the Champions League. NBC is paying $84 million a year to broadcast the EPL. Even though the EPL starts as early as 4:30 am on the west coast it has gotten pretty good ratings so far on NBC.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
yeah the way the league is structured i think turns a lot of people off.

But i don't think the games are censored at all. There are games on ESPN2 and on NBCSN.

The MLS Cup final last year only got a .7 rating and it was on during prime time with the extra added storyline that it was Beckham's last game.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
Quote:
Beckham's last game.
Which isn't a storyline at all .... that would be more apt to turn people off than on

Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Which isn't a storyline at all .... that would be more apt to turn people off than on
complete opposite. It was the farewell game for someone who had been transformational for the league. Why would that turn people off?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
He's a non-factor amongst the broad US

Thinking that someone like an aging Beckham would somehow hold mass appeal to the US sporting public just shows how out of touch some people can be ..... over here he's a People magazine star with his wife who will sometimes wear just underwear in commercials .... that was mainly it

A curiousity but not much more than that - average sports fan wasn't going to start following him, if anything he'd turn off that guy

When the initial buzz and frenzy started he maybe could have capitalized on it .... but was injured and then pretty much disinterested his first 3 years where his domestic priorities seemed to be trying to get into hollywood with his wife and professional priorities finding a loan out of the country

His last two years were actually pretty solid and focused - but at that point the sizzle was gone - you had people who knew the name, but couldn't tell you anything beyond that ........ a celebrity, not an athlete or ambasador

He was pushed into the wrong markets

However, that's not to say that his presence didn't have an impact - it added an air of credibility to the league which helped in all markets, helped provide a face of someone with some credibility coming over from Europe and doing well which helped bring over other players ..... the league is more visible than it was 5 years ago, more respected than it was 5 years ago, has honed their financial structure and he did have a lot of jerseys sold and help draw some good road crowds

Basically a good boost amongst fans of American soccer - someone that they wanted to check out and be able to say "I've seen him play" ..... but not exactly someone who they were going to follow every step of the way, especially when he was showing a half hearted commitment through most of his time here - which led to a good amount of people viewing him as an aging person who was just looking to cash checks and rub elbows with other celebrities ...... he provided a lot of fodder to cynics, who once being able to check off watching him play had little interest in watching him play again

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,200,442 times
Quote:
uh no. That's not it. Soccer is made for TV. It gets great ratings during World Cup time. Same with the Champions League. NBC is paying $84 million a year to broadcast the EPL. Even though the EPL starts as early as 4:30 am on the west coast it has gotten pretty good ratings so far on NBC.
It's pretty much beaten in that soccer doesn't work on tv in this country as well as other sports...

And no, Beck's last game as a member of the L.A. Galaxy wasn't a big deal because him coming to the States in the first place wasn't even a big deal.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's pretty much beaten in that soccer doesn't work on tv in this country as well as other sports...

And no, Beck's last game as a member of the L.A. Galaxy wasn't a big deal because him coming to the States in the first place wasn't even a big deal.
the World Cup got better TV ratings than the World Series!!! You've lost the plot mister!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer