U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,787,260 times

Advertisements

Could you guys see teams in Boise, Spokane, Hampton Roads, Richmond, Sacramento, Austin, Omaha, Jackson, Albuquerque, Baton Rouge, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Albany, Tulsa, Dayton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Calgary, and/or in Edmonton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 AM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Could you guys see teams in Boise, Spokane, Hampton Roads, Richmond, Sacramento, Austin, Omaha, Jackson, Albuquerque, Baton Rouge, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Albany, Tulsa, Dayton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Calgary, and/or in Edmonton?
What, no love for Bug Tussle?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 AM

358 posts, read 359,974 times
Quote:
In my opinion, all those markets are too small except for Pittsburgh. And Pittsburgh already has 3 pro sports teams, so it could be difficult to support another. I believe MLS is going for larger markets to increase TV revenue.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Quote:
The USL PRO expansion club introduced itself to Sacramento in front of a USL PRO record crowd of 20,231 at Hughes Stadium for Saturday's 2-1 loss to the Harrisburg Islanders. That total was almost double the previous record of 10,697, which was set last season by MLS-bound franchise Orlando City.
MLS hopefuls Sacramento Republic FC draw record crowd of 20,231 in USL PRO home opener | MLSsoccer.com

Thats a really good crowd. I would like to see what their attendances are like when the new effect wears off. Though they definitely do have support right now.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
In my opinion, all those markets are too small except for Pittsburgh. And Pittsburgh already has 3 pro sports teams, so it could be difficult to support another. I believe MLS is going for larger markets to increase TV revenue.
I kind of agree. I dont know why people keep bringing up Albuquerque either. That State is a mess and its got a tiny population too. The only bonus is the railrunner between Burque and Santa Fe. It would be hard to find an investor with $100 million to put a franchise there and I cant see many people travelling from Santa Fe to the games.

Edited to add I think Sacramento Republic FC is a cringeworthy name, what where they thinking!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 PM

632 posts, read 694,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
And the management of the USL Pro Pittsburgh Riverhounds has been bungling things so badly over their 15 years of existence, they've not built enough of a fan base to make a step up to MLS even remotely viable.

This despite a beautiful new stadium, which has already put them into bankruptcy.

The old NASL used to have teams in both Calgary and Edmonton.
I'd have to think early or late season games in Edmonton could be brutal!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
MLS hopefuls Sacramento Republic FC draw record crowd of 20,231 in USL PRO home opener | MLSsoccer.com

Thats a really good crowd. I would like to see what their attendances are like when the new effect wears off. Though they definitely do have support right now.
Putting a MLS franchise in Sacramento would be a huge mistake. They almost lost the Kings(NBA) from relocating to Seattle.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM

255 posts, read 324,003 times
the franchise system will never work for soccer. It's too inauthentic and most soccer fans see the sport through a global lens where clubs are founded and join leagues organically. MLS will always get decent attendance for the simple fact Americans like attending sporting events. But, they will not be seen by the vast soccer watching public as a legitimate league. We only have to look at TV ratings to see this.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM

358 posts, read 359,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
the franchise system will never work for soccer. It's too inauthentic and most soccer fans see the sport through a global lens where clubs are founded and join leagues organically. MLS will always get decent attendance for the simple fact Americans like attending sporting events. But, they will not be seen by the vast soccer watching public as a legitimate league. We only have to look at TV ratings to see this.
You seem to speak often for "most soccer fans".

I am a soccer fan. I think the franchise system works well.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Quote:
Could you guys see teams in

Quote:
Boise
No.

Quote:
Spokane
No.

Quote:
Hampton Roads
No. (where?)

Quote:
Richmond,
NASL

Quote:
Sacramento
Yes.

Quote:
Austin
Maybe NASL. Austin isn't a major pro sports town.

Quote:
Omaha
NASL

Quote:
Jackson
Jackson... Mississippi? HELL NO!

Quote:
Albuquerque
Maybe... but more than likely NASL.

Quote:
Baton Rouge
Definitely not.

Quote:
Pittsburgh
Toss up between MLS and NASL

Quote:
Jacksonville
NASL

Quote:
Little Rock
No.

Quote:
Albany
Seriously...?

Quote:
Tulsa
Eh... if they can have WNBA and Arena Football, surely they can have soccer. But I'd say NASL over MLS.

Quote:
Dayton
NASL

Quote:
Fresno
If anything, NASL. But I'd doubt anyone would look at Fresno as a target market.

Quote:
Bakersfield
see Fresno

Quote:
Calgary
Yes.

Quote:
Edmonton
Also yes, to get more into the Canadian market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer