U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM

255 posts, read 324,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
You seem to speak often for "most soccer fans".

I am a soccer fan. I think the franchise system works well.
Just going by the data. MLS is getting beat in TV ratings by the WNBA. That's a pretty clear denunciation of MLS by soccer fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM

7,913 posts, read 12,188,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
Just going by the data. MLS is getting beat in TV ratings by the WNBA. That's a pretty clear denunciation of MLS by soccer fans.
Or it's indicative of the **** TV contract MLS has.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,490,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Exactly. When you have TV networks that support foreign soccer leagues over domestic leagues than you have a serious problem. It would be like ABC or TNT showing European Basketball League games over the NBA.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Exactly. When you have TV networks that support foreign soccer leagues over domestic leagues than you have a serious problem. It would be like ABC or TNT showing European Basketball League games over the NBA.
Foreign leagues are in more demand. ABC would never show Euro Ball because no one in this country wants to watch it.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
no its not. They get the TV contract they deserve. It's called the market. Actually, MLS latest TV contract is a pretty darn good one considering MLS's history of horrible TV ratings.

I think the reason the majority of American soccer fans tune out MLS is because of legitimacy. We have a generation of soccer fans becoming socialized into the sport through the EPL, Champions League etc and they see this Americanized version of a soccer league with conferences, playoffs, salary caps, no free agency, silly club names like Earthquakes, no pro/rel, and it just makes the average soccer fan in this country throw up in their mouth a little.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,408,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
no its not. They get the TV contract they deserve. It's called the market. Actually, MLS latest TV contract is a pretty darn good one considering MLS's history of horrible TV ratings.

I think the reason the majority of American soccer fans tune out MLS is because of legitimacy. We have a generation of soccer fans becoming socialized into the sport through the EPL, Champions League etc and they see this Americanized version of a soccer league with conferences, playoffs, salary caps, no free agency, silly club names like Earthquakes, no pro/rel, and it just makes the average soccer fan in this country throw up in their mouth a little.
You can add MLS owning players and interfering in transfers to that list.

I am a football addict, grew up on it and love it. Went to the bowels of Ireland to see some of the crappiest games in the crappiest "stadiums" just to watch football. There are many things off putting about MLS, I agree. The conferences, funny names, forced rivalries etc.

I think the biggest reason American's dont all watch MLS is because theyre glory hunters plain and simple. Before City where as big as they are now I had people over here telling me they support Manchester, when I say what do you mean they looked at me like I am clueless. As fans get more addicted to the game I think we will see more watch MLS. Football is football. The rules of the game are the same, the package is just different. I would definitely like to see MLS's overall setup change to a global setup.

The fact is, stadium avg's are slowly rising each year as is TV. MLS is growing and will continue to grow whether people like to admit it or not. I like the salary caps, stops team from financially going bust. The new TV is bringing in more revenue for all the teams and will raise the cap so we can have better players. I cant find the deal but I think the revenue is going up 2 or 3 million a season per team. I wish I bookmarked that site ... I think this kind of discussion is best in the nobody watches mls thread than the expansion thread though.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Two years since I started this thread. And in that time, we got news of the following expansion cities:

- NYCFC next year (...not the Cosmos, as expected)
- Orlando City next year
- Atlanta in 2017
- Miami in... whenever. Supposed to be before 2020.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,490,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Two years since I started this thread. And in that time, we got news of the following expansion cities:

- NYCFC next year (...not the Cosmos, as expected)
- Orlando City next year
- Atlanta in 2017
- Miami in... whenever. Supposed to be before 2020.
Do you think San Antonio will ever get an MLS franchise? It's the 7th largest city in the US.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you think San Antonio will ever get an MLS franchise? It's the 7th largest city in the US.
Metro size counts more than city proper when it comes to pro sports.

But yes, the Scorpions will enter the MLS. It may not be before Miami, but it'll be more sooner than later.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,788,294 times
Surely eventually there will be a league for the entire country than for West and East? I know travel distances are long.. but this would be better IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer