U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Surely eventually there will be a league for the entire country than for West and East? I know travel distances are long.. but this would be better IMO
...hmm?

The MLS is already for the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 PM

563 posts, read 428,884 times
single table?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,771,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...hmm?

The MLS is already for the entire country.
I thought it was split into a west and east division.. am I just being really stupid? Sorry I am not really a follower of the MLS but I believed that was the case

Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM

That is the case right now.
I believe the two most immediate lower divisions, NASL and USL Pro, are single table.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I thought it was split into a west and east division.. am I just being really stupid? Sorry I am not really a follower of the MLS but I believed that was the case
It's one league, two conferences. Just like every other league in America.

There's also the minor leagues of the NASL, USL, as mentioned, but there are PLENTY of others. We have a team here in Fort Worth, but they're in the NPSL, which I never even heard of until earlier this year.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Yessir, that's one of the fourth-tier leagues. San Diego, my city, has a team in that league called the Flash. Did have another called Boca, but that was sold. Would have become San Diego Icon FC, but they were sued.

I'm very happy MLS is back in FL. I have family on Orlando, and, well, Miami is Miami. And Beckham is trying to get that team started. I hope it works. However, I used to live in the Tampa Bay area and would have loved to see the Rowdies up in MLS (not nostalgic for the Mutiny name).

Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Yessir, that's one of the fourth-tier leagues. San Diego, my city, has a team in that league called the Flash. Did have another called Boca, but that was sold. Would have become San Diego Icon FC, but they were sued.

I'm very happy MLS is back in FL. I have family on Orlando, and, well, Miami is Miami. And Beckham is trying to get that team started. I hope it works. However, I used to live in the Tampa Bay area and would have loved to see the Rowdies up in MLS (not nostalgic for the Mutiny name).
Orlando and Miami should be a great rivalry for the state of Florida. I also can't wait until New York City FC starts playing next season. The MLS will greatly benefit from having another New York-Philly rivalry.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM

I love NYC's branding thus far. I'm very curious whether Etihad will be the shirt sponsor like Man City and Melbourne City (Australian club bought out by Man City as Melbourne Heart). There was a tweet about Nissan having a fleet partnership with NYCFC, but it didn't seem to indicate shirt sponsorship.

Curious how Yankee Stadium will be. I have seen a USL First Division match in Rochester, at their baseball field, and it worked well, but usually it seems not to, at least on TV.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:
it is but they consider it a league for some reason, I dont as I consider a league one table. In a league every team has to play each other twice to determine the best team which isnt done here.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
it is but they consider it a league for some reason, I dont as I consider a league one table. In a league every team has to play each other twice to determine the best team which isnt done here.

...that's a pretty exclusive meaning of the word "league".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer