U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascardan View Post
The BRONX baby!! Plus the Yankees have already invested in an MSL start up team about a year or so ago
I am so glad NYCFC is going to be playing in the Bronx; just a few minutes on the train! I can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM

750 posts, read 920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, that's not happening here. You're more likely to see 30 teams within the next decade in the MLS than teams moving up and down. That's just not how we do things here.

Keep in mind that the NBA and NHL's facilities are smaller than the MLS.

Arena Football and the WNBA are bottom feeders. No need to even talk about those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That and the average ticket price for an MLS game is considerably lower than the average ticket price for an NHL, or NBA game.
I believe the vast majority of the NBA arenas fit 18-20K people, just like most of the MSL stadiums. I know there are 4-5 MLS stadiums out there that can fit a lot more than that, but stadium capacity should not be the explanation. How often you see a game in the regular season of the NBA that is sold out? Even in the playoffs, I never had problems to find tickets to see the Pacers when I lived in IN or the Bulls in Chicago. Yes, they are more expensive than the MSL, but the NBA is "the" basketball league in the world. They have the best players, the major stars, the home of the original dream team and many other great ones and they attract some of the best foreign players too! You can't expect to pay low prices for tickets. I still find it amazing that the MSL is attracting more people to the stadiums than the NBA.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM

403 posts, read 521,339 times
I don't see how the MLS is ever gonna be popular. It is just too weak compared to any European league. Whenever I see video of a MLS match I understand why Americans aren't into football, and why some would say it is not a sport.
There are some retired stars like Thierry Henry, Beckham or soon Xavi, but I think they go to the US for the money and the American lifestyle. Still nice to make some money and enjoy living in NYC or LA when you're too old to play in Europe and nobody wants you. And when they score they don't even care. Defenses are laughable. A lame Man Utd won 7:0 against LA galaxy a few days ago.

I really hope the MLS is one day gonna be a better league but I don't see it happening. No relagation, no cup, no champions league, only one title per season, salary cap, franchises owned by the league ... football does not work that way. Never will.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am so glad NYCFC is going to be playing in the Bronx; just a few minutes on the train! I can't wait.
Moved to north Jersey last year, and I'm not really into following teams named after an energy dring. I guess NYCFC could be a good adoption.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I believe the vast majority of the NBA arenas fit 18-20K people, just like most of the MSL stadiums. I know there are 4-5 MLS stadiums out there that can fit a lot more than that, but stadium capacity should not be the explanation. How often you see a game in the regular season of the NBA that is sold out? Even in the playoffs, I never had problems to find tickets to see the Pacers when I lived in IN or the Bulls in Chicago. Yes, they are more expensive than the MSL, but the NBA is "the" basketball league in the world. They have the best players, the major stars, the home of the original dream team and many other great ones and they attract some of the best foreign players too! You can't expect to pay low prices for tickets. I still find it amazing that the MSL is attracting more people to the stadiums than the NBA.
Another thing you're counting out is the distribution. There are 30 teams in the NBA compared to the MLS's 19. Only 5 arenas that have an NBA tenant have a capacity of 20,000 or more compared to 14 in the MLS.

There's also the inclusion of weaker teams in the NBA that almost never sell out. There's more of that in the NBA and NHL than there is in the MLS as well. So yes, capacity is a factor.

NASCAR brings in more fans and has the highest attendance average in American sports, but you're not going to convince anyone that it's bigger than the NFL, are ya? No, because several NASCAR tracks can hold the entire town of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I don't see how the MLS is ever gonna be popular. It is just too weak compared to any European league. Whenever I see video of a MLS match I understand why Americans aren't into football, and why some would say it is not a sport.
It's popular... just not as popular as other sports. Why does it NEED to be? We take pride in having more of a variety here. The people who say soccer is "not a sport" are just people who don't like the sport in general. Much like how several non-Americans say our football isn't "real football". They're just as annoying.

Quote:
Defenses are laughable. A lame Man Utd won 7:0 against LA galaxy a few days ago.
So that ONE game is an indication of a lack of defense from the entire league?

Quote:
I really hope the MLS is one day gonna be a better league but I don't see it happening. No relagation, no cup, no champions league, only one title per season, salary cap, franchises owned by the league ... football does not work that way. Never will.
It doesn't work by your standards. This league has only been around since 1996 and yet, it's doing pretty well. It's not even one of our "Big Four", yet it's one of the more stable pro sports leagues in North America.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
There are some retired stars like Thierry Henry, Beckham or soon Xavi, but I think they go to the US for the money and the American lifestyle. Still nice to make some money and enjoy living in NYC or LA when you're too old to play in Europe and nobody wants you. And when they score they don't even care. Defenses are laughable. A lame Man Utd won 7:0 against LA galaxy a few days ago.

You're going to judge the MLS by one club FRIENDLY (selectively picking one out of a bunch, also)? I picked a random "retired" player (DeFoe) and googled it to see if he celebrated after, he seemed pretty happy...

jermaine defoe goals - Bing Videos

Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 AM

The truth is the only really popular sport in the US, in a sense that everywhere you go someone is talking about it is American Football, which is a shame because it's a one-country sport and don't get me started on how much I think how stupid it is.

Every other sport fan out there is about the same. They have their niches. I rarely see my co-workers talk about anything other than American Football, except isolated occasions when someone mentions the NHL or NBA or the MLS too for that matter.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Quote:
The truth is the only really popular sport in the US, in a sense that everywhere you go someone is talking about it is American Football, which is a shame because it's a one-country sport and don't get me started on how much I think how stupid it is.

Every other sport fan out there is about the same. They have their niches. I rarely see my co-workers talk about anything other than American Football, except isolated occasions when someone mentions the NHL or NBA or the MLS too for that matter.
One of the big draws on the NFL is fantasy football and betting. The NFL is better for fantasy than any other sport, in my opinion. Its straight forward, only need to prepare one day a week, there are a limited number of games and matchups to review, etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
The truth is the only really popular sport in the US, in a sense that everywhere you go someone is talking about it is American Football...
You must not know very many people, then...

Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You must not know very many people, then...
I know plenty and travel a lot too. No other sport has nationwide popularity in the US like football, not even close. All others have their niches, some stronger than others, yes, but niches just the same. Even within their niches, the mass population tend to follow specific dates. A lot of NBA fans don't pay attention to it until the playoffs and College Basketball fans watch March madness only.

Unfortunately, the only sport that people in general, regardless if they live in cities with NFL teams or not, watch the whole season, has adsurdly high TV ratings and marketing, and fill the stadiums almost all games is football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer