U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,220,195 times
Reputation: 7010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I know plenty and travel a lot too. No other sport has nationwide popularity in the US like football, not even close. All others have their niches, some stronger than others, yes, but niches just the same. Even within their niches, the mass population tend to follow specific dates. A lot of NBA fans don't pay attention to it until the playoffs and College Basketball fans watch March madness only.

Unfortunately, the only sport that people in general, regardless if they live in cities with NFL teams or not, watch the whole season, has adsurdly high TV ratings and marketing, and fill the stadiums almost all games is football.
Well of course no other sport has the same popularity as football in America, but baseball, basketball, and even hockey have strong following. Sure, some are stronger depending on region, but there is still a "Big Four" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,655,419 times
Reputation: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I know plenty and travel a lot too. No other sport has nationwide popularity in the US like football, not even close. All others have their niches, some stronger than others, yes, but niches just the same. Even within their niches, the mass population tend to follow specific dates. A lot of NBA fans don't pay attention to it until the playoffs and College Basketball fans watch March madness only.

Unfortunately, the only sport that people in general, regardless if they live in cities with NFL teams or not, watch the whole season, has adsurdly high TV ratings and marketing, and fill the stadiums almost all games is football.
I disagree as well. Football is the largest most popular sport in the US that's not debatable, but to say NBA and Baseball are niche sports is a bit ridiculous. Soccer is barely a niche sport anymore. Rugby is a niche sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 AM
 
750 posts, read 921,820 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I disagree as well. Football is the largest most popular sport in the US that's not debatable, but to say NBA and Baseball are niche sports is a bit ridiculous. Soccer is barely a niche sport anymore. Rugby is a niche sport.
It all depends on your definition of niche. I'm using it on the sense of wide distribution, not in number of followers. I think ridiculous is to think that the NBA is popular when many college sports show better TV ratings than it. And we are talking about the country who has the best basketball league in the world...

Last edited by Indyking; 07-31-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,892,774 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Moved to north Jersey last year, and I'm not really into following teams named after an energy dring. I guess NYCFC could be a good adoption.
The Red Bulls are going to be even less relevant once NYFC starts playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,795,137 times
Reputation: 2911
I don't see why NYC needs another team.. there are tonnes of big cities that could have been taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,220,195 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I don't see why NYC needs another team.. there are tonnes of big cities that could have been taken
Yeah... but that's New York. In all the major pro sports leagues here, New York has two teams.

When your metro area has well over 16 million people, few people argue or question why there are two teams in each league for one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,892,774 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah... but that's New York. In all the major pro sports leagues here, New York has two teams.

When your metro area has well over 16 million people, few people argue or question why there are two teams in each league for one city.
The MLS is not at the point where it needs to have multiple teams in the same metro area. They would be better off moving Chivas out of LA, imo. The Red Bulls are already barely a blip on the NY sports scene map, now that NYFC is coming online next season, they're going to struggle to get any sort of attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
Reputation: 5092
it looks to me like Chivas will be moving out of LA, probably stay in Cali though. Id like to see them moved elsewhere, I hate talking like that about teams just being moved as its not the football I know but Chivas where a disaster from day 1.

Rumor has it Ronaldinho is signing for Franchise of NY, that will make them more than a blip though I think most of the bandwagon fans will go with Man City there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,220,195 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
it looks to me like Chivas will be moving out of LA, probably stay in Cali though.
Just head south on I-5....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
Reputation: 5092
San Diego ? You think there is a real market ?

I had to Google I5, my knowledge of US routes sucks balls :|
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top