U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,886,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Well, I suppose for differentiation you could have:

Toyota Park
Toyota Field
Toyota Stadium

In the future, Toyota Grounds and Toyota Pitch are still available. Hmmm, assuming there is a future Alaska team, it could be Toyota Tundra...
Toyota Box
Toyota Chest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM

563 posts, read 428,681 times
How big do we thing MLS will get? I know the Argentine premier league was looking at expanding to 30. I think San Diego's running out of time.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
How big do we thing MLS will get? I know the Argentine premier league was looking at expanding to 30. I think San Diego's running out of time.

Personally, I think they should have 30-32 teams.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:59 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,831,870 times
Grow the existing fan bases, Cap at 24 teams for at least 50 years. No more expansion. Everyone needs to win establish some sort of team history.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM

167 posts, read 75,953 times
I think they will cap at 32, maybe push to 34.

Personally I think the more the merrier. They can go to 60+ and have a bunch of regional championships and meet up in the playoffs, like NCAA.

The more regions and cities have legitimate soccer clubs and good (and cheap or free) development academies, the better for US national team.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
So MLS has a poor pool of players. Expand to 34 and the pool of players gets even worse.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:56 AM

167 posts, read 75,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So MLS has a poor pool of players. Expand to 34 and the pool of players gets even worse.
I doubt it, to be honest. First of all, new clubs = more academies. One of the tragedies of current US soccer development is that kids have to pay a bunch of money to play soccer, and even then they get poor coaching half the time.

MLS academies have mostly good coaching, academy coaches focus on skill development rather than on pimping out their own CVs by winning some meaningless youth league tournaments.

Also, academies are usually much cheaper than travelling clubs, and there are some free spots or scholarships as well, so even kids from poor families get a chance. The more academies, the more decent players US will develop.

In fact, I would love if MLS had multiple clubs in each city who would compete with each other and their academies would compete for local talent, provide more free training to kids. That would be the best scenario for developing US talent. I know it won't happen because MLS is a closed business system that will limit competition, and not an open system. But still, the more clubs, the more academies, the more talent gets developed.

Secondly, what is the MLS pool? It's not like baseball or NFL pool, where they already have the world's best players. MLS new clubs can easily find hundreds of MLS caliber players in Mexico alone. With academies and foreign talent, it's easy to replace any talent dillution.

Third aspect... expansion won't happen quickly. It won't be like, you wake up tomorrow and there's 34 clubs that have current players divided among themselves. 34 clubs... if that ever happens, it won't be sooner than 15 or 20 years from now. That will be a completely different player generation, and it will all be a gradual transition.

Have MLS clubs gotten worse compared to early 2000s? I talked about it with some people maybe a month ago, we thought that no, MLS player pool is better now. Even though there are more teams in MLS now, those teams are deeper than in early 2000s, their rotation players are better. Not to say that teams don't have problems now... but expansion wasn't a problem.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,934,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
I think they will cap at 32, maybe push to 34.

Personally I think the more the merrier. They can go to 60+ and have a bunch of regional championships and meet up in the playoffs, like NCAA.

The more regions and cities have legitimate soccer clubs and good (and cheap or free) development academies, the better for US national team.
Twenty-eight or 32 teams should be sufficient.

Major League Soccer needs to consider realignment with additional teams. It can go to four divisions spanning two divisions, or into four divisions/conferences.

I would like to see focus shift to developing players in lower tiers.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:54 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
30 would be sufficient. 28 is most likely.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
How do you doubt it ? Academies haven't produced any real stars yet. The MLS relies heavily on tcollege drafts which already play in a bad college system. I agree that it costs a lot and the coaching is poor, which ads to the poor pool of players we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer