U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If Chivas wants to stay in SoCal with a new stadium, maybe they could move closer to the Inland Empire, Orange county border to get away from the Galaxy. Heck maybe even the other side of Orange county close to San Diego.

I do not think putting another team in NYC metro is a good idea. Where would they put them? NJ has a team already, and does not have enough demand for another. I heard something about Queens in the Flushing Meadows Corona Park near Citifield, but that limits you to Long Island. Does Long Island warrant an MLS team?
I think Chivas should move to San Diego (as others do) and I'm pretty sure the next NYC team will be in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Quote:
If Chivas wants to stay in SoCal with a new stadium, maybe they could move closer to the Inland Empire, Orange county border to get away from the Galaxy. Heck maybe even the other side of Orange county close to San Diego.

I do not think putting another team in NYC metro is a good idea. Where would they put them? NJ has a team already, and does not have enough demand for another. I heard something about Queens in the Flushing Meadows Corona Park near Citifield, but that limits you to Long Island. Does Long Island warrant an MLS team?
The NYC team will be in Queens. I think another team in NY is fine but I dont like that MLS is trying to force the team into the market. Generally, expansion is about finding viable ownership groups and that is more important than the market. You can start a team damn near anywhere and it can be successful if the ownership group knows how to tap the market.

Saying there isnt enough demand for it is kind of ridiculous. When you have over 10 million people in the market, there is going to be enough demand to support the team. The MetroStars and NYRB have never properly captured the market and made fans out of the existing soccer community within the city. There are tens of thousands of people who want to support an MLS team but just dont feel connected with NYRB for a multitude of reasons. If they can get the right ownership group, another team in NY can do amazingly well and NYRB will play second fiddle to them.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM

6,195 posts, read 6,358,094 times
If the NY Red Bulls still cant capture the market, what makes you think a second team will have more success? Just because it is in Queens? Much of the Soccer fanbase in NYC is going to be foreign immigrants who probably have a team they follow diligently overseas.

I live near the FMCP, and every weekend I will stop by and see the whole place is taken up by latin american immigrants tailgating, and playing a huge soccer league that takes up literally half the park. So soccer is pretty huge here, but again these people probably have a team they follow overseas. Now the Long Islanders, I will guess, have no one to root for. But they already come to NJ to watch either the Jets or Giants. Maybe they like to take a trip off of the island every now and then.

If they build a stadium in Queens, it isnt going to be too big probably. And if it is only going to get so big, who wants to own it?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Quote:
If the NY Red Bulls still cant capture the market, what makes you think a second team will have more success? Just because it is in Queens? Much of the Soccer fanbase in NYC is going to be foreign immigrants who probably have a team they follow diligently overseas.

Because the Red Bulls have shown that they do not know how to penetrate the market. They have pissed off fans and a lot of people wont follow them simply because they are named after a beverage.

The market is entirely too big to not have a much larger fanbase than they do. An ownership group that knows what they are doing and how to reach the soccer fans in the market can be overwhelmingly successful.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
An owner is required. You cant just assign an MLS team to a market. An owner with deep pockets would need to be in place with a solid business plan. Plus, MLS is requiring teams to have an SSS in place. NFL stadiums have been historically bad for MLS teams with Seattle being the exception.
the option of an MLS team playing in the new Vikings or University stadiums is evidently still of interest to the comish and with billionaire William McGuire recent purchase of the NASL Stars, a second viable ownership group has emerged in this market.

Major League Soccer for Minnesota

It came at the end of a marathon conference call with the press, but for those who stuck around the word “Minneapolis” cause some ears to prick up. Previously, Garber had been asked by reporters from the Atlanta Constitution and the Orlando Sentinal about their cities’ chances at getting MLS teams. Since no Minnesotan reporters were on the conference call, no one pressed him on the Twin Cities’ prospects at an MLS team.
That made Garber’s mention of Minneapolis all the more surprising. Responding to a question about expansion beyond the 20th New York City team, Garber said, “We’ve talked about Atlanta; we’ve talked about Orlando and Miami. We haven’t talked much about Minneapolis, but they, too, have expressed interest in an MLS team.”

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:

I live near the FMCP, and every weekend I will stop by and see the whole place is taken up by latin american immigrants tailgating, and playing a huge soccer league that takes up literally half the park. So soccer is pretty huge here, but again these people probably have a team they follow overseas. Now the Long Islanders, I will guess, have no one to root for. But they already come to NJ to watch either the Jets or Giants. Maybe they like to take a trip off of the island every now and then.

If they build a stadium in Queens, it isnt going to be too big probably. And if it is only going to get so big, who wants to own it?
There is a lot of hypocrisy in the NYC market. I've talked with many people that refuse to support the Red Bulls because they're in Jersey. No joke. I guess they'll make an exception for the Giants and Jets. Plus, the name is terrible. Easily in the running for the worst name in MLS with Chivas USA. It's cringe worthy and I'd have trouble myself supporting a club like that.

Relaunching the Cosmos in Queens would be a great move.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM

580 posts, read 861,843 times
Miami should get rid of the lousy Marlins and get an MLS team. With all the latin and european people living in SoFla there should be a market for soccer.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Miami should get rid of the lousy Marlins and get an MLS team. With all the latin and european people living in SoFla there should be a market for soccer.
They did have an MLS team for a couple years.

In fact, they were one of the firsts cities to have a team when the league started in '96...

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM

6,195 posts, read 6,358,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There is a lot of hypocrisy in the NYC market. I've talked with many people that refuse to support the Red Bulls because they're in Jersey. No joke. I guess they'll make an exception for the Giants and Jets. Plus, the name is terrible. Easily in the running for the worst name in MLS with Chivas USA. It's cringe worthy and I'd have trouble myself supporting a club like that.

Relaunching the Cosmos in Queens would be a great move.
What about Real Salt Lake? Yeh I agree they should have stayed the Metrostars. That name has tradition.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:
What about Real Salt Lake? Yeh I agree they should have stayed the Metrostars. That name has tradition.
Metrostars is equally bad as it was still a name with corporate ties. Real Salt Lake is bad too but New York Redbulls and Chivas USA really take the cake in the horrible name department. Thankfully Kansas City Wiz was retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer