U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
#2. All of those rust belt and iffy sun belt cities are a bad idea. The league is growing, but they have to understand who their big audience is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future: young, college-educated lefty white people. My top choices are Raleigh and Austin. San Diego might work too, also Atlanta and Minneapolis.
Austin will never be a major pro sports city. It'll be San Antonio. Then MAYBE El Paso, since it's been thrown around lately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,998,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Austin will never be a major pro sports city. It'll be San Antonio. Then MAYBE El Paso, since it's been thrown around lately...
Oh but I beg to differ. San Antonio's bigger, but Austin is much more suited to have a team. It's median household income is about 8k a year higher, and while San Antonio can be very "Middle American" in some ways and might be better suited for basketball or football, Austin's got its whole quirky vibe going and could easily build one of the better fan bases west of the Mississippi.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Oh but I beg to differ. San Antonio's bigger, but Austin is much more suited to have a team. It's median household income is about 8k a year higher, and while San Antonio can be very "Middle American" in some ways and might be better suited for basketball or football, Austin's got its whole quirky vibe going and could easily build one of the better fan bases west of the Mississippi.
Sorry, but THIS is already in place:

HOME

Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times
Lol San Antonio FOOTBALL club! Why not soccer?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times
"In 2010, MLS was made up of 16 franchises, with three new teams set to join over the following two seasons: the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers in 2011, and the Montreal Impact in 2012. The earliest a 20th franchise could potentially join MLS would be in 2013. Reports in April 2011 that the league was committed to placing the next franchise in the Queens if a deal could be reached. Terry Byrne said in 2011 that the stadium was the biggest factor regarding the Cosmos' accession to MLS. "The league wants us to demonstrate that we are capable of taking a area and building a stadium," he said. Working alongside New York Mayor the Cosmos sought a location within New York Citys boroughs rather than outside in a suburb which would distinguish them from the Red Bulls, based in New Jersey. Over a dozen locations around Queens, The Bronx and Manhattan were marked out in March 2011 narrowed down to four sites by the end of July; two in Queens and one each in Brooklyn and uptown Manhattan"

Looks like New York

Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Not guaranteed Paull though. It would be awesome to see a local rivalry hit MLS though. Id like to see NYRB go out of business though, but thats just me.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol San Antonio FOOTBALL club! Why not soccer?
I don't know. The naming of teams makes no sense to mean when it comes to the MLS.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
San Juan please.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I feel like if you're trying to market yourself as an AMERICAN team, than you should have American names.

Just don't really feel "Real Salt Lake" or "Chivas USA". Just not original, ya know?
I disagree. The audience for the MLS is comprised of people who watch overseas or Latin American football. It doesn't make sense to entice people who don't like the sport with American sounding names. All you'll do is drive away those people who do support the sport as was seen when they changed some of the rules a little to get some newcomers into the sport.

Quote:
#1. The only way I'd support MLS expansion is if it becomes a two tiered league with promotion and relegation. There's no way our top flight league should have more teams than the EPL.

#2. All of those rust belt and iffy sun belt cities are a bad idea. The league is growing, but they have to understand who their big audience is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future: young, college-educated lefty white people. My top choices are Raleigh and Austin. San Diego might work too, also Atlanta and Minneapolis.

#3. The only European style name I support is (Insert City) FC, or maybe something else creative, like naming a team after a neighborhood or landmark. What I don't like are names that are obvious copies of well known UEFA clubs that make the league sound like a minor league aimed at snooty hipsters who think they're too refined for the NFL.
I agree and while we're at, get rid of the regional tiering and try and align our schedule closer to other world clubs.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
#1. The only way I'd support MLS expansion is if it becomes a two tiered league with promotion and relegation. There's no way our top flight league should have more teams than the EPL.
Considering the US is about 50 times larger than England, that doesnt make much sense. 24 is a proper number.

Quote:
There is not an MLS ownership group in Raleigh, Austin, or San Diego. Minnie and Atlanta are really iffy. You go to where the owners are.

NY2 and Orlando are really the only solid possibilities for expansion at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer