U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times

Advertisements

Why does it matter how big the US is? The EPL is much more competitive than the MLS and has much more quality players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Why does it matter how big the US is? The EPL is much more competitive than the MLS and has much more quality players.
Because there are more markets that can support franchises and the league can have a wider footprint.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because there are more markets that can support franchises and the league can have a wider footprint.
Yeah maybe overtime as the quality of the league improves, but not right now since soccer simply isn't that big in the US.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM

6,201 posts, read 6,358,094 times
If the Red Bulls do fold, as someone mentioned, what will happen to the arena? That is a big shame. They put all that money into it, and the town of Harrison is depending on taxes from there.

Harrison’s claim that Red Bull Arena should be paying taxes gets nod from Essex County Tax Court judge | NJ.com

Can San Juan PR support a team? Do they play soccer in Puerto Rico? I am pretty sure Bay Area can support a team. They have the college educated, left leaning people someone mentioned. I can see Phoenix with a team.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Yeah maybe overtime as the quality of the league improves, but not right now since soccer simply isn't that big in the US.
Expansion takes time. NY2 is scheduled for 2016, any further expansion would take place after that. I guess it depends on what you mean by big. To me any sport that has its own 20k seat stadiums and contracts on multi national TV channels would be considered big.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,440 times
Meh, to an extent. But you cannot deny the silence that national legacy media has regarding the MLS (and to a certain extent soccer in general).

Even during the much slower sports time of summer, it fails to gain signifiganct mind share and mention in non local outlets as opposed to the baseball returns.

Still it is gradually moving upward. As for it's expansion, you have to let it move organically. People here in DC and other places like Boston are rightfully annoyed at the HQs dogged (and farily murky) pursual of a NYC based team when no ownership has previously stepped up publicly. Especially when aid could very well be directed toward DC and Boston.

As for any other markets, again a wealthy owner must be willing to pony up the funds. I hope this NYC gamble pays off.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
How about San Antonio?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,366,638 times
Orlando has moved one step closer to MLS expansion. This is a serious ownership group with a lot of money.

Major league soccer: A new investor in Orlando City Soccer Club could help the team become a Major League Soccer franchise - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM

735 posts, read 950,456 times
This is another, much lesser story that interests me going forward in the 21st Century.

I'll post my opinions later but I will definitely agree that Phoenix should have an MLS team. Phoenix... not Glendale. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
This is another, much lesser story that interests me going forward in the 21st Century.

I'll post my opinions later but I will definitely agree that Phoenix should have an MLS team. Phoenix... not Glendale. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Cities that have an ownership group with enough resources, a solid business plan, and deep pockets should have an MLS team. The ownership group is far more important than the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer