U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM

563 posts, read 429,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can San Juan PR support a team? Do they play soccer in Puerto Rico? I am pretty sure Bay Area can support a team. They have the college educated, left leaning people someone mentioned. I can see Phoenix with a team.
PR has an NASL team called the Islanders. Not sure there's much impetus to put an MLS team there, though something about the idea is intriguing.

Bay Area....well, San Jose is still the Bay Area, and they have the Earthquakes (and are building a brand spanking new stadium for them, too, right by the airport!).

Phoenix? Maybe, but where? UOP Stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
This is another, much lesser story that interests me going forward in the 21st Century.

I'll post my opinions later but I will definitely agree that Phoenix should have an MLS team. Phoenix... not Glendale. It seems like a no-brainer to me.
Phoenix is a difficult market. There will not be MLS here for years. We have a USL Pro franchise launching in Tempe in March called Phoenix FC. If successful it could pave the way and draw attention from someone with deep pockets. Actually, this club will play a crucial role in the future of MLS. I've spoken with local reporters who've spoken with MLS officials about the viability of Phoenix as a MLS market. Plans for a soccer specific stadium and a proven building block (like a well attended USL Pro club) are essential. University of Phoenix Stadium would only be accepted as a temporary home while a stadium was being constructed.

I'll be supporting Phoenix FC as I want a MLS club here in the future.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Glendale for all intents and purposes is phoenix .... it's a large metro, but there are number of locations you could put a team and have success - especially for a limited schedule draw like MLS - not to mention that phoenix itself is so large that there are plenty of places in phoenix that are a lot more difficult to get to than most of glendale, in fact there is land west of westgate that is phoenix .... it's really like saying a team must be in Philly and not Chester (I think chester may even have more of a stigma attached to it)

However, I think Phoenix is a ways off .... there really isn't any stadium funding available, although there could be some support from the tribes if it ends up going that route

I agree that there needs to be some low level support here .... I really don't think it's a case of "build it and they will come" ..... I don't see a critical mass of people who are just yearning for a local MLS club to support .... I think Phoenix FC is a good step and any potential ownership group needs to start locking into the youth and young families and get them interested in watching soccer and not just kicking a ball around on weekends with their friends

I'd imagine phoenix is a decade off, but could be a really good market at some point

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,515 times
Meh, gotta have some harder metrics.

Philadelphia was an interesting exception. In fact, I still don't quite understand how they came to be save for some drunken pub hoppers who went on a massive yelling and screaming marketing fest that somehow landed a team.........but I digress (hehe).

I think the largest metrics are competition for attention and tastes of the market. I think you are going to have some troubles in markets with heavy Mex-Am population that don't already show high support ala Orlando or San Antonio. Just because it's going to be so hard to get them to take off their Liga MX tinted glasses.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 14,802 times
I think Las Vegas must have a soccer team! Don't you agree?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

245 posts, read 256,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Meh, gotta have some harder metrics.

Philadelphia was an interesting exception. In fact, I still don't quite understand how they came to be save for some drunken pub hoppers who went on a massive yelling and screaming marketing fest that somehow landed a team.........but I digress (hehe).

I think the largest metrics are competition for attention and tastes of the market. I think you are going to have some troubles in markets with heavy Mex-Am population that don't already show high support ala Orlando or San Antonio. Just because it's going to be so hard to get them to take off their Liga MX tinted glasses.
The second generation will support the American team, even some first generation Hispanics will support it because they love soccer and can't return to their local home. The Second Generation Hispanics support local teams in other sports (American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey).I think the fan base for most old MLS teams has a large second generation American fan base

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarez View Post
I think Las Vegas must have a soccer team! Don't you agree?
Meh.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,629,578 times
It will never work in Phoenix. Outdoor soccer in the summer?

You think the Diamondbacks would have had any shot without an A/C indoor venue?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
The second generation will support the American team, even some first generation Hispanics will support it because they love soccer and can't return to their local home. The Second Generation Hispanics support local teams in other sports (American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey).I think the fan base for most old MLS teams has a large second generation American fan base

Sports team fandom is very generational and that is why MLS will only grow from here. The people that were kids when MLS started as graduating from college and having kids now and they are able to pass along their fandom to their children. As those second generation fans grow, they pass along fandom to their friends at school and with more children being soccer fans, it is no longer the cool thing to bash soccer like it was when I was in school.

I think MLS will see a good growth as the third and fourth generations come into the fold. It is basic math where one person that was an MLS fan growing up has three or four kids and raises them to be a fan and then those three or four kids have a few kids a piece and so on.

That is why NBA, NHL, NFL, and NHL teams have not only large fan bases but fan bases that range all over the country has families have moved away because of school, jobs and marriage. You are already seeing satellite groups of fans of MLS teams in other cities. We have a group of SKC fans that meet at a bar in Atlanta to watch games and I guess the bar has an SKC jersey on the wall.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,369,963 times
Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer just confirmed purchase of land for a new MLS stadium.

Dyer opens up about land purchase for new MLS stadium | www.wftv.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer