U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,593,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Racism in the football supporter world is not uncommon in Eastern Europe...or in Western Europe for that matter.

In terms of FIFA corruption I am more concerned with Qatar.

True that! Regarding Russia's 2018 bid, I still believe they won fair and square for most part as they've got the money, the land, the population, the culture and passion for football, and a government that wants to put on a damn good show for the world to counteract a lot of the ugly stereotypes that are pointed at the country. Qatar 2022 on the other hand only got the money, a national leadership with lofty ambitions, and while they do see football as their favorite sport, they still have yet to build a serious footballing culture. Add on all the other obvious logistical problems, and you have an utterly questionable choice...

Regarding Russia's football racism, being an RPL fan (with CSKA Moscow as my team of choice), I do notice that the racism found in the league's teams fall on a continuum of sorts from least to worst. On one end is CSKA Moscow, which easily got that league's most cosmopolitan lineup; I've never heard their non-white players (or non-white players from other teams) complain about racism directed at them by CSKA's fans. On the other end would be Zenit St. Petersburg, which has been notorious for its white players-only policy (purportedly due to fears of negative fan reaction), and incidents of racism by its fans towards non-white players in other teams.

Why did I mention this? I'm just highlighting what I know about the RPL so as to address some of the stereotypical views people have towards Russian football in this thread. Besides, just like what Bondurant said, much of UEFA still grapples with the problem (yes even glamorous England)... And if you guys are worried about racism becoming an issue in Russia 2018, I'm pretty sure Putin will NOT let that happen. Expect massive crackdowns on such groups and behavior in the run up to the tourney so they wouldn't ruin the 2018 World Cup he helped bring to the country. This assessment is also helped by the fact that a large chunk of those neo-Nazis are against Putin, and have protested against him in the past.... Just my two cents on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 37,135 times
Wasn't it just a fan group? Every major team has a few hundred thousand fans, out of those there are going to be more extreme views and Russia is a pretty racist place anyway. It is not big deal really, if Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid or the Seahawks came out and said it, it would be a much bigger deal.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,662,099 times
^^^^ Gooooarn Stoke!

The fact that the face of FIFA told fans that are homosexual that they should pretend they're not gay if they want to go to the WC in 2022 is diabolical.

Absolutely disgusting and hypocrites of the highest order.

Kick racism out of football. Let's clean up the game. And what do they do? They give the next 2 (after Brazil) World Cup's to first, a country who struggles on a giant scale with racism so much so that teams refuse to sign colored players out of fear, and then the following World Cup to a country where it's ILLEGAL to be gay.

FIFA rewards the behavior which is the real problem.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,317,349 times
They should give it to Ireland. We are fun and just want a laugh. Great fans did us proud at the Euros.

We are funny, loving people except for Brian of course

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM

7,563 posts, read 16,456,860 times
Yeh they can have the World Cup final at Tolka Park

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM

25 posts, read 37,135 times
On the topic of racism.. This is brilliant, trust me.

Didier Zokora "Let's KICK Racism Out Of Football" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer