U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

921 posts, read 910,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you're making my point for me

Liechtenstein I was referring to geographical size but hey, even better. So a country with a population of 36K is supposed to strengthen UEFA? how about Faroe Islands? Malta? San Marino? Andorra? Luxembough? Cyprus? Northern Ireland? Wales? Scottland? There are plenty of minnows in europe, plus you can finish second in the group and still make the WC.

all those countries in UEFA have a soccer culture, india doesn't have a soccer culture either but europe does.

you state UEFA qualifing is the hardest, I've proven that there are at least 2-4 minnows in each group. I've given you specific examples of how often in the last 25-50 years some of these mid-;level (not even minnow) countries have qualified.

There are some groups where not qualifing would be rediculous. (Portugal, England, Germany, Suisse for instance)

do you have a fact-based reply to my post?
Well, you obviously underestimate some countries here.
I agree with you that countries like Liechtenstein, Andorra, Faroe Island, Malta or Luxembourg will not strengthen UEFA, that is for sure, and I'd rather them not be playing in qualifications, but for some of them you are way off.

You think Bosnia, Montenegro, Scotland, Wales....are not good enough?
On a given day they can beat any team, that is for sure.
You seem to forgot that the same Montenegro with population of 625k had beaten England 2:1 at home and draw 1:1 away.
Bosnia almost qualified, they were held in play-offs by Portugal, and 2 years ago by France. Heck, they had no luck in Play-Off draw, but they have a great team now lead by Dzeko of Man City.

Scotland....well they have been there forever. I had argued with Paul here about them and the football they play now.
They were better in the past, right now they are just OK, but even then they can cause problem to any team in the world. Ask France about them.

I mean, these teams may not qualify, but they play good football.
It is natural that the top seed teams in each group are expected to qualify, but the other teams can be a hurdle.
Do you expect Wigan or Norwich to win EPL?
What the heck they are playing for then in EPL? That is your logic.

I don't know what facts do you want me to provide.
Every country have the right to play and sometimes big teams (England, France...)will drop points against the small ones (Bosnia, Scotland...)which can cost them qualifications. That is exactly the point of having all of them in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,097,982 times
Couldn't have put it better Pete!

I know Scotland aren't world beaters far from it, but with our history and performances and results against "big" teams even this past 5 years/decade it is crazy to put us on par with San Marino, Malta etc.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
It is crazy to put Scotland on par with San Marino. Ireland are only a bit better than Scotland IMHO and if both countries play to their strenghts they can be a PITA to play against and get points. I like playing the minnows, see how big money professionals can struggle in San Marino is a joy to watch for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or