U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
Reputation: 5087

Advertisements



Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England
25 posts, read 36,912 times
Reputation: 30
Instead of answering your question directly, i will answer a slightly different one.. Instead of Soccer, i will use NFL. I don't respect a sport in which athletes in their prime are weighing 20 something stone and it takes 3 hours to watch 1 game. I have watched a few games and i can say i have no interest of watching it again. Their argument is probably 'soccer is for *******' or something along those lines which isn't exactly helped by players such as Ronaldo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Reputation: 9029
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I did not say that I dislike soccer. Jesus, I even played organized soccer for 7 years.

It's getting old responding to someone who keeps making crap up on my behalf. So you know what? I think I'll stop now.
I assumed in post #29 you were talking about what you thought and believed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
are u honestly trying to make the case that a friendly is played at the same level as a world cup qualifier? if so, i dont even..........

as for the second paragraph, it has nothing to do with that, trust me, i have tried to get into MLS, but the lack of quality/creativity does not do it for me
What leagues do you watch? Do you live in the US and if so, have you always lived here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I assumed in post #29 you were talking about what you thought and believed.
So.... you assume that my agreement with a post that "soccer haters" don't necessarily dislike soccer itself means I dislike soccer itself. Yeap, that pretty much sums up why I've given up trying to provide meaningful responses to your nonsensical posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's because I made the mistake of thinking people might be interested in an honest answer to the question asked in the original post. If you couldn't handle the answers, you shouldn't have opened the thread. But once again, the soccer fans illustrate that they're not interested in hearing the answer from people who aren't part of their precious, snobby club.
You played the sport but yet the only reason you dont like it is because of the fans?

Do you ever hang out with true soccer fans? Do they constantly seek approval? What exactly is it that they say? I just dont ever see someone trying to seek approval from people in general conversation or even discussing the sport. Like I said, it doesnt have a basis in reality. Sure, if someone bashes the sport openly, someone is going to defend something they are passionate about but I just cant see your claim that the soccer fans you encounter are always snobby or seeking approval? How exactly does one seek approval for being a fan of a sport anyway? Do they ask permission? I'm genuinely curious to the specifics of what you are talking about. I just cannot see this being anything but a message board occurence except for maybe a few random people in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
I don't understand when you say soccer fans are vocally hostile. A real fan should chant as loud as he can to give his team a home advantage. Tell me how does sitting silent, eating hotdog and drinking beer or playing with your phone gives you a home field advantage. If you mean soccer fans are rude (like say bad words) see teh San Fransisco Giants celebration riot and one of the signs said (Duck Fetroit) even in Atlanta a San Fransisco 49ers fan stabbed another. lets also not forget the Vancouver stanley cup riot. Now what are the casualties and damage that American soccer fans or MLS fans have done.

I could be wrong and I am in no way trying to speak for Drover but I do not believe that he was talking about the fans during the actual game, I think he is referring to the fans outside of the game in everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Reputation: 29451
I have never said the "only" reason I don't like soccer is because of its fans. But the insistence of you people to keep hearing what you want to hear and keep attributing sh#t to me that I never actually said sure does reinforce why its fandom is a big part of why I can't stand the sport as a spectator. It's like f'kin tunnelvision with you lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Ghengis said the following, "as evidenced by this thread, it's not so much the soccer we hate, it's the soccer fans".

You replied, "that's pretty much it....".

When you said it, which is singular, I think it is safe to imply that that is your only reason since you never indicated otherwise despite being asked too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top