U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
apparently when I post his whole response that causes too much confusion as well, shall I read it out loud for you? meaning doesn't change at all, since you seem to be speaking for him now, who was he referring the ignorance towards?
You guys are arguing over semantics.

First of all, the original poster's question was misleading and false. He implied that most sports fans in the U.S. hate soccer. I believe that is false. There are people who hate the sport but a lot that either simply dont like it or a lot who just havent gained an interest in it. I would say the population that truly hate it is small.

The a good chunk of the people that would claim hatred over a sport likely do so out of ignorance. I find that most people who actually describe something out out of hatred do so out of ignorance whether it is soccer or a specific race of people. Hate is a strong word and if you havent been harmed by something, I think it would be hard to hate it unless you do so out of ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
People who say they hate something just because they don't have an interest in it. THAT'S WHO.

You still haven't pointed it out, where I said Americans. Please tell us.
did too, did too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,235 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The a good chunk of the people that would claim hatred over a sport likely do so out of ignorance. I find that most people who actually describe something out out of hatred do so out of ignorance whether it is soccer or a specific race of people. Hate is a strong word and if you havent been harmed by something, I think it would be hard to hate it unless you do so out of ignorance.
Exactly, that was my point. It has nothing to do with Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,006 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You guys are arguing over semantics.

First of all, the original poster's question was misleading and false. He implied that most sports fans in the U.S. hate soccer. I believe that is false. There are people who hate the sport but a lot that either simply dont like it or a lot who just havent gained an interest in it. I would say the population that truly hate it is small.

The a good chunk of the people that would claim hatred over a sport likely do so out of ignorance. I find that most people who actually describe something out out of hatred do so out of ignorance whether it is soccer or a specific race of people. Hate is a strong word and if you havent been harmed by something, I think it would be hard to hate it unless you do so out of ignorance.
The other part of my question which nobody discussed was why American fans (Baseball, American Football, Hockey and Basketball) hate the MLS supporters groups like District Ultras or timbers army. They also don't want the supporters group to infiltrate their sports and create atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
The other part of my question which nobody discussed was why American fans (Baseball, American Football, Hockey and Basketball) hate the MLS supporters groups like District Ultras or timbers army. They also don't want the supporters group to infiltrate their sports and create atmosphere?
They don't hate them. They don't even know they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Constant approval seeking?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Who exactly are soccer fans seeking approval from?
People who don't give a fig about soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Why do they need this approval?
Anything from legitimate concern about the viability/sustainability of professional-level soccer in the USA to just flat-out insecurity about their fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Can you explain what you are referring too?
This thread for example. I honestly don't know anyone who cares enough about soccer to genuinely "hate" it. What they do hate is condescension like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Here in the US many would gripe about lack of score but I think it's really about their lack of understanding the game and they toss out the low scoring aspect because it's easy.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I finally realize why..... No commercials!
Americans need to watch a sport where they can get up and get something to eat every ten minutes.
They need to be told what to buy or what to wear!
This society will never get on board with a sport that does not have commercials.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I actually KNOW why soccer will never be as popular in the U.S... most Americans are just not that smart.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Soccer bashing is quickly becoming an grumpy old man/ ignorant redneck's club.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Since Americans are slavishly obedient to the TV and need to be spoon fed what to think by TV presenters, soccer has not achieved the popularity of the other sports that are watched on TV.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
See american sports only require athelticism and little skill, while soccer requires both. Huge freaks of nature who are simply good cos of their weight/height.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Most soccer haters will never admit this, but the VAST majority of them hate the sport because the media tells them they are not supposed to like it.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Chances are you have never even taken the time to learn the game.
And so on. It's a recurring theme. Yes, every sport has its idiot fans and its idiot detractors. But I have never witnessed a sport whose fans are so vocally mystified ranging on outright hostile toward its non-fans as I have with soccer. Lest you think it's because soccer has an disproportionate number of idiot detractors, ask yourself why there isn't a similar visceral reaction to sports with limited fan interest here like golf, tennis, rugby, cricket, et cetera. It's because fans of those sports don't reflexively lash out at non-fans the way soccer fans do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have been a soccer fan for 25 years
OK... congratulations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I seek approval from no one for being a fan.
That makes at least one of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
yes because comparing a friendly to a world cup qualifier is fair

notsureifserious.jpeg

look man, all i simply asked was for a list of who all these talented MLS players were and u have yet to give me a single name
Oh, because Mexico really ratcheted up the intensity for their qualifier against Jamaica? In international soccer, players are always competing to gain or keep their spot. If the friendly at Azteca meant nothing, did all those fans waste urine and vomit by throwing it at Americans?

As for me dropping names you'd never recognize, let alone acknowledge, why bother? Your mind is made up, you want people to think your are the ultimate in soccer savviness. You're the supercultured sophisticate that watches only the best. Surely a great man like yourself can google a few names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
So, you take post from people on City-Data and use it to paint a broad picture of fans of the world's most popular sport? A lot of those posters were even bashed by fellow soccer fans for their comments. Taking a few bad eggs from a large population of people and then applying the behaviors of those bad eggs to the whole population is classless, inaccurate, and foolish.

Most of my friends are soccer fans and none of them seek approval from anyone. Being condescending towards people in regards to them not liking something you like is not exclusive to soccer fans in anyway. It happens everyday and people do it to other people in regards to differing opinions. It's human nature and I have seen Football fans, Basketball fans, Baseball fans, and Hockey fans do the same exact thing.

You say you have never heard as many detractors of other sports lash out at non-fans of their sport the way soccer fans do and that is probably accurate but you want to know why? Because you have likely never seen another group of fans get antagonized by non-fans the way soccer fans get antagonized. Would you say that is a true statement? People go out of their way to antagonize soccer fans while people do not do that for other sports. Fortunately, this trend is fading as MLS has grown and a lot of soccer bashers have faded away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Reputation: 29451
You asked what I was referring to. I gave you specific examples. Why ask the question if you're not interested in the response?

Like I said, the reason why fans of other sports don't get so much flak is because they're not nearly so insufferable. Soccer fandom has a serious snobbery problem and soccer fans don't want to hear it when non-soccer fans try to explain it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087
How do soccer fans have a snobbery ? Every sport has its pricks who are intolerable, Football, American Football, Baseball ... all of them. I wouldnt say football fans have a snobbery problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top