U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You asked what I was referring to. I gave you specific examples. Why ask the question if you're not interested in the response?

Like I said, the reason why fans of other sports don't get so much flak is because they're not nearly so insufferable. Soccer fandom has a serious snobbery problem and soccer fans don't want to hear it when non-soccer fans try to explain it to them.
Did I say I wasnt interested in a response? You responded and I responded. That's how message boards work.

Your second comment has no basis in the reality of human nature or the psychological traits of people in general. You're basically saying that somehow a population of people that numbers in the billions are somehow more snobby than fans of other sports like somehow liking soccer impacts the psychological make-up of it's fans. People are people and what sport they like doesnt have that much impact on their psychological behaviors or traits. There are highly obnoxious and snobby that are soccer fans just like their are highly obnoxious people that like football, golf, hockey, polo, or other sports. They arent that way because of what sport they like, they are like that because they are like that and probably like that regarding everything they like or they have been conditions to be that way because of the behavior of others.

What will condition people to be more defensive than other groups of people is continually having to defend a stance. If a kid grows up being bullied, there are higher chances he will grow up being defensive in life in general. As a fan of a sport that is highly criticized within the population of this country, you tend to be more defensive as time goes on. I have been picked up, criticized, made fun of, and lots of other things for both playing soccer and being a soccer fan. Kids at school, kids at college, and adults didnt do this because they knew a bunch of soccer fans that were insufferable. In many of my classes a kid, I was the only soccer fan and didnt even talk about the sport to other kids so there was no chance they were experiencing the "insufferable fans" you seem to think bother everyone all the time. They did it because of their perception of the game, the people who play it, and the people who support it. It's a conditioned behavior picked up from the response to other people's behavior. A person cannot merely become a fan of a sport suddenly become insufferable or snobby. That's not how the human mind operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
So yeah, like I said... soccer fans don't want to hear it. It's everyone else's fault.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,405 times
Quote:
Like I said, the reason why fans of other sports don't get so much flak is because they're not nearly so insufferable. Soccer fandom has a serious snobbery problem and soccer fans don't want to hear it when non-soccer fans try to explain it to them.
Snobbery? Never heard that one before. Have you met 3 billion people? Its the number one sport on the planet. Its not as popular in America. That makes football fans snobbery?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,405 times
Quote:
So yeah, like I said... soccer fans don't want to hear it. It's everyone else's fault.
Everyone else's fault? Who is this everyone else because half the worlds population are football fans?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
And so on. It's a recurring theme. Yes, every sport has its idiot fans and its idiot detractors. But I have never witnessed a sport whose fans are so vocally mystified ranging on outright hostile toward its non-fans as I have with soccer. Lest you think it's because soccer has an disproportionate number of idiot detractors, ask yourself why there isn't a similar visceral reaction to sports with limited fan interest here like golf, tennis, rugby, cricket, et cetera. It's because fans of those sports don't reflexively lash out at non-fans the way soccer fans do.
You have never heard a football fan mystified why the rest of the world doesn't love football? You also have never heard a football fan say soccer is a girls sport or a sissy sport?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Want to hear what? If you want to provide some legitimate reasons why you think people within the U.S. do not like the sport, I would like to hear them. I like discussing it and am open to it.

Is the fans being insufferable really your reason for not liking the game? Is that the reason you think a lot of sports fans within the U.S. dont like the game? Because 25 years of hearing every reason in the book and I have never heard that one. It just doesnt have a basis in reality. If that's your reason, that's fine but it's inaccurate because human nature and psychology doesnt work like that. If you're judging an entire population of people based on encounters on message boards, that is...well...just foolish.

I would never go on a Baseball message board, interact with them, and then call every fan of baseball whatever trait was reflected within that message board because I would be smart enough to realize that it is like .0000000000000001% of the population.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
You have never heard a football fan mystified why the rest of the world doesn't love football? You also have never heard a football fan say soccer is a girls sport or a sissy sport?
I think maybe you're quoting the wrong poster? You might try asking your question of someone who actually said those things.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
I think maybe you're quoting the wrong poster? You might try asking your question of someone who actually said those things.
Your quote: But I have never witnessed a sport whose fans are so vocally mystified ranging on outright hostile toward its non-fans as I have with soccer.

I have heard "girl sport" or "sissy" comments dozens of times from football fans regarding the sport of soccer. It is the common openly hostile comment of a football fan about soccer...so it wasn't what you said, but an example of openly hostile comments of fans of other sports about soccer.

Actually, I remember the last world cup at a bar with two friends. Two dudes watching golf started trashing soccer and people that like the sport, knowing I was intently watching it. The sad thing is this isn't out of the ordinary.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
I get the "This is America" speech a lot too. You have to love our sport yada yada yada, soccer is for girls. Usually from guys that weigh about 400lbs and can barely standup without being out of breath so I take their opinions on what is a girly sport and what is not with a pinch of salt.

I generally live and let live but some people cant.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Your quote: But I have never witnessed a sport whose fans are so vocally mystified ranging on outright hostile toward its non-fans as I have with soccer.

I have heard "girl sport" or "sissy" comments dozens of times from football fans regarding the sport of soccer. It is the common openly hostile comment of a football fan about soccer...so it wasn't what you said, but an example of openly hostile comments of fans of other sports about soccer.

Actually, I remember the last world cup at a bar with two friends. Two dudes watching golf started trashing soccer and people that like the sport, knowing I was intently watching it. The sad thing is this isn't out of the ordinary.
OK, so what does any of that have to do with the quote you're referencing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer