Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Just like Bears fans
Well, except that Bears fans don't do that. They understand, like most other fans of their respective teams, that most people are going to support whoever their local team is and not some other team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, except that Bears fans don't do that. They understand, like most other fans of their respective teams, that most people are going to support whoever their local team is and not some other team.
HA! That would be wrong. I live in the world of Bear fans and am not one, I am evangelized to annually.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
OK. Show me the threads in the Football forum where their fans demand to know why other people aren't fans, and maybe you'll have a point.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

245 posts, read 298,441 times
My main point is for example Why a Redskins/Caps/Wiz/Nats fan hate District ultras, La Barra DC, the supporting groups of DC United? I also don't understand why the same fans won't let this supporting culture grow to there sports as in Europe. The Ultras in Europe support Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, even Water POLO
and When you talk with these fans they say its just a game and we don't want riots like soccer fans as if Vancouver Canucks , San Fransisco Giants or college sports riots didn't exist. Can it get more boring watching a game in the arena just sitting silent in the stands eating hot dog and drinking beer. Where is the Home field advantage?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I don't go to the football forum, but I do know I am told I need be a bear fan annually.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
This is pretty much it. Soccer fans' constant approval-seeking of their fandom and/or their sport is positively grating.

Constant approval seeking? Who exactly are soccer fans seeking approval from? Why do they need this approval? Can you explain what you are referring too?

I have been a soccer fan for 25 years and I seek approval from no one for being a fan. Just like I dont see approval for liking my favorite food, my favorite band, or my favorite beer.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
OK. Show me the threads in the Football forum where their fans demand to know why other people aren't fans, and maybe you'll have a point.
So, what happens on city-data and more specifically, the city-data sport forums is your sample to determining this behavior? That's not statistically sound.

Most of the threads started here about why soccer isnt popular are either A) started by non-soccer fans or B) started by soccer fans to generate ideas about how to grow the sport.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
or c) to bring in the trolls from the American Football forums. Happens time and time again, not saying OP did that (I don't think he did) but inevitably you always get American Football fans coming into our forums to gripe about Football being a crap sport or we need attention like the above and they don't get the irony of how we never go to their forums with them posts but they come here ...

Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Weird, two posts from people who should clearly not be here giving their dislike of football.
I actually love soccer.

We have a local team called Minnesota United FC

I hate how they copied the team name from Manchester, and they put "FC" when they are clearly a "SC"

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
weird, OP asks why MSL is not embraced in the US and some soccer bo-bo immediately chimes in calling Americans ignorant...on the second thought, not really so weird after all.
Please show me where I said Americans.

Never said anything about Americans. Have no problem with Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer