U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times

Advertisements

BOOM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Are we supposed to admire Talbot and have contempt for Owen?

I'd want to ask Talbot again what he has done. "6 years of physical work without injury" is a very strange way to describe your military service. Was he in harms way in Iraq or Afghanistan or not? Why just 6 years, no dedication? What's he doing now collecting public funds and sitting idle? Did he enlist because he was going nowhere and just needed a job?

Sorry but soldiers with character never say things like that (wanting credit for keeping a random citizen safe).

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
I am with Talbot, if Michael Owen had of said something different or with a different tone Talbot would have come off like a bigger prick but he didnt so he did get pwnd.

The reference to Owen getting injured is funny, he got injured everytime the wind changed.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Are we supposed to admire Talbot and have contempt for Owen?

I'd want to ask Talbot again what he has done. "6 years of physical work without injury" is a very strange way to describe your military service. Was he in harms way in Iraq or Afghanistan or not? Why just 6 years, no dedication? What's he doing now collecting public funds and sitting idle? Did he enlist because he was going nowhere and just needed a job?

Sorry but soldiers with character never say things like that (wanting credit for keeping a random citizen safe).
It's a joke with a bit of realism, Owen askes what he has done acting like the "big I am" , and he got a dose of what he needed! He plays FOOTBALL and has made MILLIONS, this guy served in the army and makes probably under 20 grand a year. Get off your high horse ffs! He enlisted, got my respect for that.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It's a joke with a bit of realism, Owen askes what he has done acting like the "big I am" , and he got a dose of what he needed! He plays FOOTBALL and has made MILLIONS, this guy served in the army and makes probably under 20 grand a year. Get off your high horse ffs! He enlisted, got my respect for that.
Fair enough, but next to Beckham no modern English National will be remembered by history as much as Owen (in the era from about 1990-present). I'm not sure why you would single out Owen as a rich guy bigging it when the sport we love is packed with guys like this.

Me, I know the reality of military service (maybe it's different in the UK), but in the US, the majority serve and never risk more than a fingernail. Often they get out and are wards to the State and can be compensated quite well. I choose to have contempt for the military machine, I guess you don't. But of course there are some who sacrifice and serve valiently, but usually those types hold their actions as self evident.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Owen gets owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Fair enough, but next to Beckham no modern English National will be remembered by history as much as Owen (in the era from about 1990-present). I'm not sure why you would single out Owen as a rich guy bigging it when the sport we love is packed with guys like this.

Me, I know the reality of military service (maybe it's different in the UK), but in the US, the majority serve and never risk more than a fingernail. Often they get out and are wards to the State and can be compensated quite well. I choose to have contempt for the military machine, I guess you don't. But of course there are some who sacrifice and serve valiently, but usually those types hold their actions as self evident.

I am the one who posted a nice comment about Owen being the last Englishmen to win European footballer of the year! I liked Owen. But he deserved to get owned there! We have been at war over the last decade in two countries, more than likely he would have been sent over there, heck even the territorial army in the UK with very little training got thrown in at the deep end in Basra, Iraq and Helmand province, Afghanistan! Two of the most dangerous areas in the recent conflict zones. I am from a military family so even when someone I like talks the armed forces down it gets on my nerves! But I still think Owen was a great player, especially from 1998 to 2002, he was amazing back then.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I am the one who posted a nice comment about Owen being the last Englishmen to win European footballer of the year! I liked Owen. But he deserved to get owned there! We have been at war over the last decade in two countries, more than likely he would have been sent over there, heck even the territorial army in the UK with very little training got thrown in at the deep end in Basra, Iraq and Helmand province, Afghanistan! Two of the most dangerous areas in the recent conflict zones. I am from a military family so even when someone I like talks the armed forces down it gets on my nerves! But I still think Owen was a great player, especially from 1998 to 2002, he was amazing back then.

Cool, but I don't see where Owen talked the armed forces down.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
He didnt, he set himself up with the WTF have YOU done type reply. Failed miserably.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Owen gets owned!

What Brian said lol.

It was the arrogance and the assumption he hadn't done f*ck all with his life I didn't like.

We all f*ck up and deserve to get taken down a notch! I still like and admire Owen.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,235 times
Owen was world class at Liverpool. Bad injuries and bad decision making screwed up his career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or