U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,453,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
they still might be left out of the world cup if they don't at least get a point in their last game against costa rica. panama is home against the usa.If panama wins and mexico loses on the road to costa rica then it will be panama and not mexico who get the playoff spot.
it will be really weird if Mexico is out of the WC and Panama in!

On another note, Uruguay will have to play Jordan in the playoff to secure a spot in the WC. Anyone haves any idea how bad does Jordan play? obviously Uruguay is the favourite here but im hopin Jordan can upset them. Is it even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,303,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
it will be really weird if Mexico is out of the WC and Panama in!

On another note, Uruguay will have to play Jordan in the playoff to secure a spot in the WC. Anyone haves any idea how bad does Jordan play? obviously Uruguay is the favourite here but im hopin Jordan can upset them. Is it even possible?
nope, jordan making the playoffs was an upset in it of itself. uzbekistan was a heavy favorite and was unlucky to lose on PK's. I wouldn't be surprised if uruguay won by at least 10 goals on aggregate... as to panama making the world cup I still wouldn't consider them a shoe in to beat new zealand. don't forget New zealand was unbeaten in the last WC they tied paraguay,italy, and slovakia.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
nope, jordan making the playoffs was an upset in it of itself. uzbekistan was a heavy favorite and was unlucky to lose on PK's. I wouldn't be surprised if uruguay won by at least 10 goals on aggregate... as to panama making the world cup I still wouldn't consider them a shoe in to beat new zealand. don't forget New zealand was unbeaten in the last WC they tied paraguay,italy, and slovakia.
oh damn

Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,679,553 times
Quote:
If Spain is so great, why havent they qualified yet?

I just think they are not on the same level of wc 2010, and they are past their prime hour and their players are worn out and they are just not good enough. Theres no way they are able to win in southamerica, imo.

Brazil and Germany are another story. Both can win it all. But im hoping Argentina will upset them. Against Germany we have the "being locals" (almost) advantage, with all the crowd there, and against Brazil....Argentina team is just better. But they are truly locals and you can never underestimate Brazil. But i do think those 3 are the best teams now.

So, with this in mind, i think is ARG, BRA and GER for the race to the trophy
Yes, I also think those three are the best bets for taking the cup home. I would be really surprised if Spain, despite all their still undeniable quality, would win the World Cup. They're still the fourth best candidate in my book - but behind Germany, Brazil and Argentina (in that order ).

Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,404,799 times
Quote:
If Spain is so great, why havent they qualified yet?

I just think they are not on the same level of wc 2010, and they are past their prime hour and their players are worn out and they are just not good enough. Theres no way they are able to win in southamerica, imo.

Brazil and Germany are another story. Both can win it all. But im hoping Argentina will upset them. Against Germany we have the "being locals" (almost) advantage, with all the crowd there, and against Brazil....Argentina team is just better. But they are truly locals and you can never underestimate Brazil. But i do think those 3 are the best teams now.

Today Colombia and Chile both showed they are not up to the task, and are not at the level some people put them (Colombia for losing for so long so bad on home soil and basically playing really bad and Chile for not being able to secure a result of 3-0)

So, with this in mind, i think is ARG, BRA and GER for the race to the trophy
Spain have de facto qualified. The only way Spain will not qualify directly is if it loses its next game at home against Georgia and France beat Finland by at least 3 goals. In that case, Spain will be a seeded team for the PO which they are very likely to win as well. It's not that unusual for European teams to qualify so late into the WCQ stage, that's what happens when only the #1 in the group is guaranteed qualification. UEFA groups usually have 1 top team (Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, etc.), 1 team that can compete for the first spot until the end (Sweden, Portugal/Russia, France, Ukraine, Croatia, etc.), a bunch of decent teams that could steal some points from the top teams (Finland, Austria, Denmark, Serbia, Turkey, etc.) and finally the whipping boys that usually end up with 0 points and a goal ratio of -30 at the end of the WCQ (Luxembourg, San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, etc.). Even if you haven't lost any games, it can still take to the very last day of qualifying to secure direct qualification (e.g. in the cases of Spain and England).

Spain is a very solid team and definitely a favourite to win the WC along with Brazil, Argentina and Germany. They have only lost one game in the past two years and that was the Confederations Cup final against Brazil. I would be very surprised if they don't make the SF at least but football is unpredictable like that.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,555,346 times
Prediction: limp England will screw up against Poland and Ukraine will win group H. I seriously do not want to see that England team in Brazil. They need to go back to the drawing board and come back in maybe 15 years.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,432,637 times
Quote:
I just happened to see this article today, if NZ can't beat Chivas USA, one of the worst MLS teams this year, it would be tough to beat Panama.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 PM

pffff Sabella is apparently putting a C team against Uruguay tomorrow , not even the B team, but just the C team with local players that havent played together before Of course not messi or higuain but not even aguero or di maria or mascherano or gago, heck! not even lavezzi is gonna be there, instead some obscure forwards

Anyways, i was counting we beat Uruguay just for humillation and justice, but it seems Sabella dont wanna risk any player in a match thats worth nothing. Not even Uruguay has a real reason to win: they are playing the playoff against Jordan wether they win or lose. So its just a simbolic match.

But its always nice to beat Uruguay at their home, even for the sake of laughing at them.

Hopefully even the C team can beat them

Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,404,799 times
Quote:
pffff Sabella is apparently putting a C team against Uruguay tomorrow , not even the B team, but just the C team with local players that havent played together before Of course not messi or higuain but not even aguero or di maria or mascherano or gago, heck! not even lavezzi is gonna be there, instead some obscure forwards

Anyways, i was counting we beat Uruguay just for humillation and justice, but it seems Sabella dont wanna risk any player in a match thats worth nothing. Not even Uruguay has a real reason to win: they are playing the playoff against Jordan wether they win or lose. So its just a simbolic match.

But its always nice to beat Uruguay at their home, even for the sake of laughing at them.

Hopefully even the C team can beat them
Uruguay have to win this match in order to be seeded at the WC so they do have something to play for. I feel your 'pain' though, we're not fielding our best team against Turkey either. Playing in Turkey is intense anyway, but now that Turkey are fighting for a play-off spot it will be even more hectic. We're missing De Jong (suspension) and Strootman (injury) in midfield, two of our best players. We haven't lost a WCQ since 2001 but tonight could be the night. I think it will be a 2-2 draw.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Uruguay have to win this match in order to be seeded at the WC so they do have something to play for. I feel your 'pain' though, we're not fielding our best team against Turkey either. Playing in Turkey is intense anyway, but now that Turkey are fighting for a play-off spot it will be even more hectic. We're missing De Jong (suspension) and Strootman (injury) in midfield, two of our best players. We haven't lost a WCQ since 2001 but tonight could be the night. I think it will be a 2-2 draw.
Yeah, we havent lost a match since forever too, heck, i dont even remember last time Argentina NT lost a game and it would be really painful to lose to Uruguay, cause they really hate us and are still laughing about that awful and unfair tie at Copa America 2011 (in where Uruguay won by penalties -but Arg was the better team and dominate all match, just had bad luck), and theres no way we will hear the end of it, even if they beat our C team (even when both A teams played at the end of last year and Arg won 3-0)

But you are right, they are playing for the seed so they do have something to play for, and Argentina is seeded anyway, and this players havent played together before. I see disaster written all over it, probably first time Argentina will lose in the last 2 years. Worst thing is that is gonna be against Uruguay.

What are Netherlands chances for the seed? What are the teams that are gonna be seeded besides Arg, Bra, Spain, Ger? Is italy gonna be seeded? netherlands? belgium?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer