U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,293,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
We won 2-0 in Turkey, not a bad result at all. This means Romania is the runner-up in our group. On the one hand, I would have liked Turkey to be at the WC because it is such a big football-crazy nation, but on the other hand I'm glad there won't be Turks honking and hollering in the streets after every game

The confirmed seeds so far are:

1. Brazil (as the host nation)
2. Spain
3. Argentina
4. Germany
5. Belgium
6. Switzerland

The last two seeds are contested between Italy, The Netherlands, Colombia and Uruguay. After today's games, The Netherlands and Italy both have 1136 points but decimals favour The Netherlands. Colombia and Uruguay both have to win in order to be seeds, if they draw or lose they will be overtaken by Italy and The Netherlands (and Uruguay have to actually qualify of course, but I don't think this will be a problem).

For the UEFA play-offs, the seeded teams are Portugal, Croatia, Greece and Ukraine while France, Sweden, Iceland and Romania are unseeded.
why are Belgium and Switzerland seeded? Their performances in the last 3 world cups weren't good enough to be seeded. did fifa change the way they seeded teams from 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,395,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
CONMEBOL definetely needs more seeds, or maybe just compete against CONCACAF for more spots, that way the best teams will make it, cause its kinda unfair that europe has like 15 spots, those easy qualifiers, while the tough SA qualys means that teams like Venezuela can never qualify for the WC and tough teams like Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador and Colombia are constantly left out (save this 2014 wc for the last 2) of the world cup, while the oceania qualys have all this plain bad teams that can enter and in Europe, the good teams get to play against San Marino (???) or luxemburg, and win like 20-0.

FIFA should give CONMEBOL at least one more seed, or merge it with CONCACAF and we get those seeds and see how USA and Mexico do playing in La Paz and Quito at over 3,000 meters
There is no way CONMEBOL deserve more spots at the WC and certainly not ahead of UEFA. If European qualifiers are so easy, why are good teams like France (WC 2006 finalists), Croatia (WC 1998 semi-finalists), Portugal (WC 2006 semi-finalists) and Ukraine (WC 2006 quarter-finalists) struggling to qualify and might not make it to the WC? Why are even great teams like Spain, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands dropping points in their qualifying campaign? Don't pretend like the only opposition the top teams in UEFA face are of San Marino's level. The second tier of UEFA is on par with the second tier of CONMEBOL, if not better based on results at the WC. Keep in mind that only the #1 in UEFA's groups qualify directly, the best 8 runner-ups have to compete in a seeded play-off while the worst runner-up is eliminated automatically (Denmark in this case - the team that nearly beat Italy a few days ago). In determining the best runner-ups, the results against the worst team in the group (San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, etc.) are disregarded. While it's true that the CONMEBOL group is more difficult than any of the UEFA groups, this difference is more than compensated for by the fact that half the teams in CONMEBOL qualify whereas in UEFA you have to be #1. One aspect that makes UEFA more difficult is that the teams play less games (8 or 10) so there is far less room for mistakes. One slip-up can cost you the ticket to the WC, as The Netherlands found out the hard way when it failed to qualify for the WC in 2002 despite being the WC 1998 and Euro 2000 semi-finalists (losing both SF on penalties to Brazil and Italy respectively).

I don't see on what basis CONMEBOL deserve to have more spots or Europe should have less. In the past 8 WCs, Europe had 25 of a possible 32 semi-finalists while CONMEBOL had 6 (and AFC had the remaining 1). These 25 semi-finalists were represented by 13 different European countries, which demonstrates the enormous depth of UEFA. In contrast, the 6 CONMEBOL semi-finalists consisted of Brazil three times, Argentina twice and Uruguay once (and we all know the questionable circumstances by which Uruguay reached that SF). Basically, the World Cup is Europe + Brazil and Argentina. Why should CONMEBOL get more spots when only Brazil and Argentina are serious contenders for the title? And why should Europe get less when it consistently performs so well at the WC?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
why are Belgium and Switzerland seeded? Their performances in the last 3 world cups weren't good enough to be seeded. did fifa change the way they seeded teams from 2010?
Because the seedings are based on FIFA rankings only, same as in 2010. In 2006 however, they took the results of the previous WC into account (which is a much better method imo).

Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,548,946 times
There wasn't much between England and Poland. England won't even make it out of the group in Brazil. The squad is too old, lack of talent in the younger guys.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Scores at HT:

Argentina 2-2 Uruguay
Paraguay 1-1 Colombia

I hope they keep it up With these results, both The Netherlands and Italy will be seeded.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,426,137 times
damnit, argentina C team again helping their neighbours Uruguay (this also happened in the past) to get seeded in the WC losing 3-2

though this time the referee also helped Uruguay with a non-existen penalty favouring them....

anyways

for now, anyway, ecuador and chile go to wc directly and uruguay still plays jordan. But with this result Uruguay is seeded

edited: colombia is currently beating paraguay 2-1 so they are seeded too, lefting out italy and the netherlands. It seems southamerica is gonna have 4 seeded teams this world cup

with our luck, we will be getting italy or netherlands in our group . I rather get switzerland, tbh

Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
damnit, argentina C team again helping their neighbours Uruguay (this also happened in the past) to get seeded in the WC losing 3-2

though this time the referee also helped Uruguay with a non-existen penalty favouring them....

anyways

for now, anyway, ecuador and chile go to wc directly and uruguay still plays jordan. But with this result Uruguay is seeded
Wish I could see the game. The stats indicate that Argentina are dominating possession.

Of course Suarez had to score.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Wish I could see the game. The stats indicate that Argentina are dominating possession.

Of course Suarez had to score.
really? only seen the last 10 minutes cause i just got home. I listened in the radio in the bus coming home and they were complaints of a non-existent penalty favouring Uruguay. Argentina put a C team, with players that never played together before and even players that were making their debut with argentina shirt, so im not shocked at Uruguay winning. They should be winning with more goal difference, though, or without the help of the referee. They level is low, tbh, but they will beat Jordan and they will be seeds.

Cant believe SWITZERLAND is a seed! and italy netherlands portugal france england are not

hopefully switzerland gets a hard team in their group like one of those mentioned above. If not it will be kinda unfair: switzerland, jordan, australia, iceland (?) or something like that. And then argentina, mexico, netherlands/italy or something like that

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
really? only seen the last 10 minutes cause i just got home. I listened in the radio in the bus coming home and they were complaints of a non-existent penalty favouring Uruguay. Argentina put a C team, with players that never played together before and even players that were making their debut with argentina shirt, so im not shocked at Uruguay winning. They should be winning with more goal difference, though, or without the help of the referee. They level is low, tbh, but they will beat Jordan and they will be seeds.

Cant believe SWITZERLAND is a seed! and italy netherlands portugal france england are not
So is Argentina's main rival Uruguay or Brazil? Must be a hell of a game.

England don't deserve to be seeded. They won a very weak group, which a decent team would have run away with. I can't see them doing well in Brazil. Gerrard, Lampard are too old, Carrick is too workmanlike, Rooney is the only player close to world class. At least I'll be in a close enough time zone this time to actually see the games. I'm more interested in Belgium to be honest. They will surprise a lot of teams in the WC. I hope Lukaku shines so that perhaps Mourinho will ditch Torres and bring him back into the Chelsea team.

I have no idea why Switzerland are seeded. The seeding system needs looking at.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
So is Argentina's main rival Uruguay or Brazil? Must be a hell of a game.

Brazil!!! Brazil /Argentina are the historical rivals, Uruguay/ Argentina is more bicker, specially after Copa America 2011. But Brazil are the historical and real rivals in this story. I really hate playing against Uruguay cause they like to hurt a lot, so every time the likes of Messi/Aguero/Higuain/Di Maria play against those Uruguayans i fear they will hurt them badly and left them out of WC!

In a way im glad Sabella took a C team to Uruguay, Uruguayans are famous for their dirty tactics and there was a lot of talk about "hurting Messi and cia" from months before, even if Uruguayns didnt get in the WC, they said "oh well at least we will hurt argentina players"

That rivalry is really bitter and dirty on their part, and i fear them for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer