U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times

Advertisements

Something tells me that France and Portugal will be getting favorable draws in the UEFA Playoff rounds.

I am also going to assume both Mexico and Uruguay will be winning their playoff match ups as well.
As much as I would like to see New Zealand win and make it to their second straight World Cup, I think Mexico will bring more fans and lead to higher ticket sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,680,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes, yes we get how you feel about the English team!! Cant you change the record for once! jeeez.
The England team have actually performed pretty well over the last two matches and have reinstalled faith amongst supporters, for now, and have proven that they can actually provide interest. It was an easy group, but most of us probably expected England to finish below Montenegro. Lots of quiet optimism.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM

583 posts, read 908,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Congrats! Im glad Ecuador is in the world cup! good luck there!
I also wanted Venezuela to make it (instead of Uruguay) but they couldnt
Thanks Sophie!...Muy agradecido.

Coffee tastes much better this morning after last night's results.

I was hoping that Venezuela had their chance also, or at least to play as the 5th place team the qualifying games against Jordan.
The surprise..or not...of this qualifiers was Paraguay...oh boy!..they were not up to their standards this time around. Even as they beat Ecuador 2 - 1 their home game, it was as if they were counting the minutes to the end of the game.

Saludos.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Man it does suck to see Mexico get a path to the WC like that. I would have loved to not see them in the WC this time round. I think England will do their usual, be arrogant about doing well and winning and fail to live up to the expectations. At least some things will be normal for the WC =)

Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Whoa! You got a big mouth. Easy there. It's only a game and since when is MEX arrogant? MEX is far from being arrogant. MEX is a mediocre team (especially this present team) just like everyone else in the weak CONCACAF including the USA. Qualifying for the WC doesn't make you good. What makes you good is going deep into the WC tournament in a consistent basis and not getting eliminated after the 1st game of the 2nd round or earlier each time you go. I've never understood why Central Americans have animosity towards a mediocre Mexican National Soccer Team? Historically the National Team has been bad but this time around the team is awful and Central Americans are loving it. Mexico still has a chance to go to Brazil and now Central Americans are hating it. Go figure!

-Cheers.
I have found the Mexicans to be arrogant when it comes to soccer/football...and annoying, too. I was conflicted last night during the game...I watched the Mexico game on Telemundo, it was pretty entertaining watching. Costa Rica was the better team.

It would have been amazing having Mexico not make the WC, but I can't help myself, I want the US to always win (even with the B team they had last night). I saw the highlights of the US game, the US wasn't even celebrating after their goals. A game tying goal, then a winner in stoppage time and they jogged back and just gave each other a little hug.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The England team have actually performed pretty well over the last two matches and have reinstalled faith amongst supporters, for now, and have proven that they can actually provide interest. It was an easy group, but most of us probably expected England to finish below Montenegro. Lots of quiet optimism.
Just make sure its quiet 'dunno' - can you imagine the uproar if an Englishman was to post the way Sophie has been posting about the Argentinian team (and there is nothing wrong with that)!!? You would suddenly get several hundred pages here from people claiming that the English are arrogant! lol :-D

Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,417,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Just make sure its quiet 'dunno' - can you imagine the uproar if an Englishman was to post the way Sophie has been posting about the Argentinian team (and there is nothing wrong with that)!!? You would suddenly get several hundred pages here from people claiming that the English are arrogant! lol :-D

If i have post like this in an argentinian soccer forum, i would have get all kinds of comments too. Here it is "in" to criticize our NT cause the truth is that we are ALWAYS favourites to win it all, we ALWAYS have world class players, and we ALWAYS are seeded/top 3 in the bets to win it all, etc, but in the end.......we lose in quarterfinals (mostly against germany). So i guess this created an skepticism towards the NT, EVEN when this team is clearly the best one in the last 20 years at least. I mean, when we had Maradona (and then Battista) we did SO BAD with outstanding players, we almost didnt make it, etc and in this country people live and breather soccer, so it was hard to take: losing to GER in wc2010, losing Copa America at home in 2011.

But the truth is, since Sabella took the team, everything has change drastically, Argentina is playing at their true potential (wich was always great, cause the current generation of players is brilliant), Messi has been scoring millions of goals for the NT, and is now FIRST in ranking of the argentinians socrers in HISTORY (ahead of Crespo even!), he is playing like a GOD, and his forwards friends are doing it too: Higuain (scoring also tons of goals himself), Aguero, the great Di Maria. Our mildfield looks solid with Mascherano and Gago, who work together really well, and Garay-Fernandez have constructed a good defense considering we recieve very few goals in the qualys and score tons of them,

Our road in the qualys has been impressive, we only lost once, and it always seemed easy. When i watch this team, i feel something i havent feel since forever: i feel like its easy. Watching Argentina play always was very stressfull cause you felt like we could lose anytime. With this team, is always comfortable: those guys always seem in control and they have SUCH amazing attack, that you know everytime they get to the net, is highly probable they will score. And mostly they do. So we won the qualys comfortably, qualified early, also won our friendlies against powerful teams in europe, Messi is playing like a god, everything is functioning....it is the first time in, i dont know, since Italy 90, that we could be saying: HELL WE ARE WINNING IT ALL! Cause, the world cup is in Brazil!!! Almost like if it is at home! We have THAT advantage too!!! Thousands of Argentines are gonna be there! we are gonna be locals! Messi is in his prime!!

we could be all saying "we are gonna win it all"!!!! but you know what this country of pessimist says???? "WE ARE GONNA LOSE IN QUARTERFINALS" "WE WONT MAKE IT OUT OF THE GROUP" and all kinds of crazy talk like that. Heck, argentina is favourite in every other country, in every international newspaper or soccer page, for the bookies and the fifa ranking, etc, EXCEPT in argentina

so, yeah, my exxagerated optimism is to counteract the exxagerated pessimism i have to deal with in my own country. I wish we could go ahead and say "WE ARE THE BEST!". Hell, countries that in no way have our level are saying "we are the best!" (you hear it a lot from chileans, colombians and uruguayans) but argentinians dont wanna say it, they dont wanna get burn again.

But i say: WE WONT GET BURNED, cause this time is different! This time we have everything to believe we will win it, and we will!

so, excuse my optimism, its probably the only place in where i can say my real feelings without getting that argentinain trademark pessimism that im tired of!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
I read this great quote about Mexico today:

“Sometimes they think they are Spain,” Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell told the press before the final qualifier on Tuesday. “Mexicans have to learn to show respect."

And here is a quote from Klinsmann after the game:

''This is just how football writes these crazy, emotional stories, and you're in the middle of it, because we all felt all of a sudden when Graham scored that header that it was all quiet, silence, and you feel for them,'' Klinsmann said. ''Maybe it's a little bit in my culture, in the German culture you never stop before the referee blows the whistle, because I have won many, many games in the last minute. And hopefully, we keep on winning more. But it was a very sad moment for all here in Panama. We understand that.''

Sorry, one more quote from the game:
''They wouldn't have done anything different if they were in our shoes,'' midfielder Kyle Beckerman said. ''They would have tried to beat us. A couple of their guys were asking us to take it easy on them, but it's about competition. The USA is guaranteed to be in the World Cup, but who's in that team, nobody knows, so we had to try and turn the result around so it looked good on us.''

Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
So close to seeing Mexico take a seat for Brazil ..... conflicted in that you always want your team to win and the emotions dictate the win ........ but couldn't one of the deep reserves stunk it up a bit more? - really nothing to gain in this game from a table perspective, just experience for some of the other guys ......... would much prefer Panama over Mexico

Would have been fun asking all the El Tri supporters here how their team was looking in preparations for Brazil, then asking how their group looked and then asking if they thought they could build on their showing in Brazil .......... 4 years of good times ripped away in less than 4 minutes

Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Its all Panama's fault for not just getting 10 men behind the ball and hoofing it down field. All they had to do was that for a few minutes and they would have qualified, they were weak at the back and the US kept finding holes playing into corners for the whole second half. I doubt the US would have scored if everyone just crowded the half and hoofed the ball away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer