U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times

Advertisements

I agree with that as well

There is the balance point between being so defensive that you never advance the ball out of your territory, allow the other team to gain an offensive flow and really start to challenge and get you scrambling and leaving gaps when a team starts to press offensively by sticking with the standard

I really don't think there was going to be all that much creativity from the US side and it wasn't a do or die situation for them ........ Panama could have packed it in better, hoofed it down, harrassed a little at midfield and then pack it back and probably find a somewhat willing partner to ride out that ugly flow

Almost looked like the moment got too big for them once they realized what they were so close to doing and after the equalizer the balloon popped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
The celebration was too crazy in Panama and they forgot to change tactics. I think they were just out of their minds and completely unorganized.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
To lose 2 goals in the last minute in a crucial world cup qualifier is sickening but like Brian said, in that situation I would defend for my life.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
To lose 2 goals in the last minute in a crucial world cup qualifier is sickening but like Brian said, in that situation I would defend for my life.
Yeah, looking back at the tying goal, the US had as many guys in the box as the Panamanians...horrible defending and sad to watch the Panamanians after.

MNT vs. Panama: Graham Zusi Goal - Oct. 15, 2013 - U.S. Soccer

Old 10-16-2013, 12:42 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Brace yourself Mexico. We about to jack you up and cause one of the biggest upsets in WC qualifying history.
The way MEX is playing even one of the youth soccer teams here in town can beat them.

Just a thought. Why do USMNT fans insist that Mexico is some big, powerful team and when the USA beats them it's an upset? Do the fans purposely put the MEX National Team high on a pedestal so that when the US beats them it seems like a monumental feat? If MEX had 2 or 3 WC Championships and a handful of Copa America titles and some other high profile titles mixed in I'd step back. USA beating MEX is no longer an upset. It never was.

PS. Awesome victory for USA vs Panama last night. They keep fighting until the whistle blows!!

-Cheers.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Looking at some of the qualifiers, some interesting qualifying teams: Iran & Bosnia & Herzegovina are qualified. I know Brazil didn't have to go through qualification, so that helped the other 10 South American countries, but really surprised to see Ecuador having gone through to Brazil & Uruguay has to play Jordan in the playoff to get there. Likewise with Portugal and France finishing second. Will be weird seeing 1 of them left out, and I wouldn't count out a team like Greece, Sweden, Ukraine or Croatia (or in my case, hopefully Iceland), stealing that Europe playoff spot and leaving both out. I thought Denmark would challenge Italy for the top spot in the group, disappointed in them failing to qualify for the playoffs. Aside from Italy & Czech Republic, it's not like that group (B) had power house teams Denmark couldn't beat.
I think New Zealand is going to beat Mexico anyways, and would have easily defeated Panama, but really sad at the way Panama closed that game out last night.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Why do USMNT fans insist that Mexico is some big, powerful team and when the USA beats them it's an upset? Do the fans purposely put the MEX National Team high on a pedestal so that when the US beats them it seems like a monumental feat? If MEX had 2 or 3 WC Championships and a handful of Copa America titles and some other high profile titles mixed in I'd step back. USA beating MEX is no longer an upset. It never was.
Well, twenty years ago it would have been an upset. Earlier in qualifying it would have been an upset to win at Azteca, but not in the US. No matter what Mexico has historically been a good team, not world class, but good.

Also, Mexico historically is a good team to measure oneself against in CONCACAF, but it is better to measure oneself against the USMNT, imo. Mexico has developed more high quality pros over the years, but that is now evening out. The development of the MLS is helping.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I have found the Mexicans to be arrogant when it comes to soccer/football...and annoying, too. I was conflicted last night during the game...I watched the Mexico game on Telemundo, it was pretty entertaining watching. Costa Rica was the better team.
That is something I've never understood, how Mexicans can be smug about their football team. That must really only be towards Americans then, because in Europe, they're seen as a decent, but certainly not a very good side.
A bit above average, that's all .

Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
That is something I've never understood, how Mexicans can be smug about their football team. That must really only be towards Americans then, because in Europe, they're seen as a decent, but certainly not a very good side.
A bit above average, that's all .
Bunch of diving, cheating bastards is all I saw them for growing up =)

Its more than just football with USA vs Mexico though. Mexico has always been better just the table has turned in the last few years but the Mexican manager has been headless too, I think they are better than what they are playing atm.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
great rant by the Mexican announcer last night - here is a bit of translation

wonder if these means the end of urine & battery projectiles down there

Quote:
[LEFT]"It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOT placed us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU! NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
"IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

Read more: Mexico Soccer Announcer Translation After USA Goal - Business Insider
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer