U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM

667 posts, read 1,494,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm from a country that (nearly) always qualifies too. In fact, we have the best record in Europe over the past three qualifying campaigns, winning 26 out of 28 games. For some reason, the system of playing competitive matches over an extended period of time suits us extremely well, which is why I think we would thrive in a confederation like CONMEBOL.

Likewise, I also feel bad for the European teams that finish right behind the top tier team in their group. Imagine being drawn in a group with Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, France or England and knowing that you have to finish ahead of them in order to secure qualification. It almost seems like a hopeless task to begin with.

thrive? so normally 4 direct spots for Conmebol and Holland TODAY would be in front of Arg, Bra, Uru, Col , Chile and Ecuador. Ok , keep telling yourself that. Oh and with that great winning record how many World Cups did you win
looking forward to the friendly next month (in Europe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM

667 posts, read 1,494,727 times
I have no 'beef' with UEFA but South American talent has made the mktg UEFA giant what it is today. This is not to take away from all the great Euro players that have existed/exits but there's a reason why scouts can't find all the best futbol talent in Europe.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,291,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Im quoting you just to say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
and what of what I said was a lie? iss in not true that flares are not allowed at matches in europe. is it not true that hooliganism is also looked down upon? is it not true that supposedly racist taunts are now being criminally punished in europe? please enlighten me, what of what I said was not true?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
thrive? so normally 4 direct spots for Conmebol and Holland TODAY would be in front of Arg, Bra, Uru, Col , Chile and Ecuador. Ok , keep telling yourself that. Oh and with that great winning record how many World Cups did you win
looking forward to the friendly next month (in Europe)
Netherlands today is ahead of Uruguay, Colombia, Chile and Ecuador for sure. It is behind Brazil and Argentina but only slightly. We are the current Vice World Champions you know? And we got there by kicking Brazil and Uruguay out of the tournament. On what basis do you think Uruguay, Colombia, Chile and freaking Ecuador are superior to the Netherlands?

We haven't won any World Cups yet but we've been in 3 finals and 1 semi-final in the past four decades. Can you say the same about any South American team apart from Brazil and Argentina? The last - and only - time a SA team other than BRA/ARG was a finalist was all the way back in 1950, lol.

Last edited by LindavG; 10-18-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Now back to the original premise which is whether or not South America should get more berths? I don't think SA should take the berths from UEFA, infact I think UEFA should also gain a berth or 2. I think the other 3 confederations should lose spots. 1 each from concacaf and caf, and 2 spots from AFC. At least 2 of those spots should go to SA with UEFA getting at least 1 more. so the new system would be
UEFA:14 or 15 berths
SA:6.5 or 7.5 berths
NA:2.5 berths
CAF:4 berths
AFC:3 berths
OFC: merged with AFC

Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Netherlands today is ahead of Uruguay, Colombia, Chile and Ecuador for sure. It is behind Brazil and Argentina but only slightly. We are the current Vice World Champions you know? And we got there by kicking Brazil and Uruguay out of the tournament. On what basis do you think Uruguay, Colombia, Chile and freaking Ecuador are superior to the Netherlands?

We haven't won any World Cups yet but we've been in 3 finals and 1 semi-final in the past four decades. Can you say the same about any South American team apart from Brazil and Argentina? The last - and only - time a SA team other than BRA/ARG won was all the way back in 1950, lol.
The Dutch are ahead of ecuador for sure, on par with Uruguay and Colombia, and only slightly behind Chile.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Now back to the original premise which is whether or not South America should get more berths? I don't think SA should take the berths from UEFA, infact I think UEFA should also gain a berth or 2. I think the other 3 confederations should lose spots. 1 each from concacaf and caf, and 2 spots from AFC. At least 2 of those spots should go to SA with UEFA getting at least 1 more. so the new system would be
UEFA:14 or 15 berths
SA:6.5 or 7.5 berths
NA:2.5 berths
CAF:4 berths
AFC:3 berths
OFC: merged with AFC
Why not just skip the CONMEBOL qualifiers altogether and just send all teams to the WC? I mean, 8 or 10 doesn't make much of a difference.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
The Dutch are ahead of ecuador for sure, on par with Uruguay and Colombia, and only slightly behind Chile.
Why are we on par with Uruguay, a team we beat convincingly at the last WC and which still hasn't qualified for the WC (whereas we were the first European country to qualify and have the best qualifying record)? Why are we on par with Colombia, a team that failed to qualify for the last three World Cups whereas we were finalists in the last WC? And why on earth are we behind Chile?

What next, Bolivia is better than Germany? Peru would thrash Spain on a good day? Venezuela is on par with Italy? Nothing surprises me at this point.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Why are we on par with Uruguay, a team we beat convincingly at the last WC and which still hasn't qualified for the WC (whereas we were the first European country to qualify and have the best qualifying record)? Why are we on par with Colombia, a team that failed to qualify for the last three World Cups whereas we were finalists in the last WC? And why on earth are we behind Chile?

What next, Bolivia is better than Germany? Peru would thrash Spain on a good day? Venezuela is on par with Italy? Nothing surprises me at this point.
colombia are on par with the dutch because they have had a dip in form as of late while the dutch has seen a resurgence. if you asked me a month ago I would have said colombia are ahead of the dutch by a considerable distance. my statement is not about the potential of a team but rather it's current form. does'nt matter how much talent and history a team has if it's disjointed like france was at the last wc.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times
Can't take you serious, you are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer