U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-19-2013, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,425 posts, read 12,427,921 times
Reputation: 4857

Advertisements

New Confederations!




----------

*Minus Georgia, Armenia, Cyprus, Israel, South Sudan and Somalia.



---------



---------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 18,804,393 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
This is as close as racist I have seen. Are you serious? Quito (Ecuador) IS THEIR CAPITAL. How is it their 'burden' that they are in high altitude? You lose all your credibility with this type of post. Talk futbol not BS.
Racist? WTF? What are you talking about?

Ecuador is a completely different team home and away due to factors outside of football. That's all what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
colombia are on par with the dutch because they have had a dip in form as of late while the dutch has seen a resurgence. if you asked me a month ago I would have said colombia are ahead of the dutch by a considerable distance. my statement is not about the potential of a team but rather it's current form. does'nt matter how much talent and history a team has if it's disjointed like france was at the last wc.
And how is the current form of the Dutch NT worse than Colombia's? You are aware that we have the best qualifying record in all of Europe and that we haven't lost in over a year, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 18,804,393 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
And how is the current form of the Dutch NT worse than Colombia's? You are aware that we have the best qualifying record in all of Europe and that we haven't lost in over a year, right?
Because they are because... because... they've won matches recently.

But Colombia will play NL and Belgium in November, so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because they are because... because... they've won matches recently.

But Colombia will play NL and Belgium in November, so we'll see.
Those are just friendlies though. Our team is still rebuilding, there are a lot of young players called up and our manager is still deciding on whom to take to Brazil, so I expect him to use these friendly games to experiment. Anyway, I expect us to win but I won't be bragging if we do, nor will I be too upset if we lose. You have to take these friendlies for what they are. Colombia are a good team and one we might face at the WC so we can only learn from this game, regardless of the result.

A lot of teams are playing Belgium and the Netherlands a few days after each other (Colombia, Japan, Cote d'Ivoire). That's the benefit of having two small WC countries next to each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,421,057 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
WTF? CONMEBOL has 10 members, UEFA has 54. In case you didn't know, the games against San Marino doesn't matter, as due to different sizes of the groups, games against the worst don't count.
The CONMEBOL group this year had a 50% of qualifying, and 56% of qualifying OR getting to the ridiculous playoffs against New Zealand. If Europe would have the same percentage, 30 teams from Europe would qualify to the WC. In all groups the chance for qualifying directly from UEFA was 20%.

I seriously would want to know how Bolivia would do in a Spain, France, Finland, Belarus, Georgia, Bolivia group. My gut says they've finish last.
You cant be serious, CONMEBOL has 10 teams in where the worst one is like 25 in the world. Of course its not comparable to europe.

You say in europe you laugh about southamerica overhpyed teams? you know what we laugh in southamerica about??? your QUALYS!!! Playing against Farroe Islands, the bombers of san marino (??), Liechtenstein, etc, etc While we have to play against Uruguay, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Paraguay, and then in the heights of La Paz and Quito. We always know the qualys are gonna be hard and a killer torunament alltogether on its own.

We should get 8 out of 10 spots, cause the confederation is THAT strong. And that way teams like Peru, venezuela, etc, could qualify everytime and Uruguay wouldnt have to enter through the window everytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,421,057 times
Reputation: 4366
Plus, im not even saying we should take a spot from UEFA, im just saying our qualys are waaay too hard and we should merge with CONCACAF and get all of their spots for grabs!

isnt this rational? a merge between conmebol and concacaf? the americas all together???

and that confed will get something like 8 or 9 spots and well see who wins them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 18,804,393 times
Reputation: 11103
Spain, France, Finland, Belarus, Georgia.
Netherlands, Romania, Hungary, Turkey, Estonia, Andorra.
Belgium, Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Wales, Macedonia.


Yes, only San Marino and Liechtenstein all the way. : smack: Even Belarus, which finished last, would be quite good in CONMEBOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You cant be serious, CONMEBOL has 10 teams in where the worst one is like 25 in the world. Of course its not comparable to europe.
The worst is Bolivia at #71 in the world. There are 35 European countries ahead of Bolivia.

Quote:
You say in europe you laugh about southamerica overhpyed teams? you know what we laugh in southamerica about??? your QUALYS!!! Playing against Farroe Islands, the bombers of san marino (??), Liechtenstein, etc, etc While we have to play against Uruguay, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Paraguay, and then in the heights of La Paz and Quito. We always know the qualys are gonna be hard and a killer torunament alltogether on its own.

We should get 8 out of 10 spots, cause the confederation is THAT strong. And that way teams like Peru, venezuela, etc, could qualify everytime and Uruguay wouldnt have to enter through the window everytime.
The only reason you laugh is because you clearly don't have a clue how UEFA qualifiers work, nor do you care. It's much easier to whine about how CONMEBOL qualifiers are oh so hard and European teams only have to beat the likes of Andorra and San Marino in order to make it to the WC.

Please tell me which CONMEBOL teams would finish #1 in these UEFA groups and hence qualify directly for the WC:

Belgium
Croatia
Paraguay

Italy
Denmark
Ecuador

Germany
Sweden
Uruguay

Netherlands
Romania
Venezuela

Russia
Portugal
Peru

England
Ukraine
Bolivia

Spain
France
Chile

I argue that no team apart from Argentina and Brazil stands a chance of qualifying directly if they were part of UEFA, unless one of them gets extremely lucky and draws the weakest group (like Group E this time). In the scenarios above:

Belgium > Paraguay
Croatia > Paraguay

^ Paraguay doesn't even get a play-off spot.

Italy > Ecuador
Denmark > Ecuador

^ Ecuador can't rely on home advantage to qualify, you have to win more than just home games in order to finish first or second. Ecuador doesn't get play-off spot.

Germany > Uruguay
Sweden = Uruguay

^ Uruguay has no chance in hell of finishing ahead of Germany but they will probably fight with Sweden for the play-off spot.

Netherlands > Venezuela
Romania = Venezuela

^ Netherlands is clearly ahead of Venezuela by a long shot. Venezuela might have a shot at the play-off spot but they'll face heavy competition from Romania and Turkey.

Russia > Peru
Portugal > Peru

^ Don't think I have to explain this one. Peru is hopeless.

England > Bolivia
Ukraine > Bolivia

^ Bolivia can't rely on home advantage to finish first or second as it won't be sufficient. England and Ukraine are clearly ahead in terms of footballing skill, and so are Montenegro and Poland (the other teams in the group).

Spain > Chile
France = Chile

^ Spain is obviously superior to Chile so Chile can forget about direct qualification. France tends to be a little shaky in the qualifiers so they might have a shot at the play-off spot.

Keep in mind that even finishing second in the group doesn't guarantee you a PO spot because the worst runner-up is eliminated automatically. This is how UEFA qualifiers work. Teams like San Marino and Andorra don't even enter the picture, in fact the results against them are deducted when determining the final score for the runner-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Plus, im not even saying we should take a spot from UEFA, im just saying our qualys are waaay too hard and we should merge with CONCACAF and get all of their spots for grabs!

isnt this rational? a merge between conmebol and concacaf? the americas all together???

and that confed will get something like 8 or 9 spots and well see who wins them
Is it rational to have no North American teams at the World Cup? I don't think so.

I think it would be a good idea to merge CONMEBOL and CONCACAF but unlike you, I'm not convinced that CONMEBOL would take all their spots. And I have no interest in seeing Bolivia at the WC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top