U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,455,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I already showed an article in my post above discussing the interests behind the 40-team WC idea. It's a bad one for the sport, it just a political move. The current first round with 32 teams is already seen as too long. Increasing the number of teams would also have major implications on infrastructure preparation that are likely unrealistic for some future hosts. Besides, 32 slots already allows plenty of "touring" teams that has little or no chances to play competitively in the first round. Increasing the number of teams would likely cause a considerable drop on the overall quality of the games. Finally, every ranking system you look at with or without taking into consideration the factor "tradition" and/or "history" show that Asia and Africa already have too many slots.
And they wanna take one from conmebol and uefa out of all the confederations? the 2 confeds that produced ALL the world champions?
insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,123,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
The current first round with 32 teams is already seen as too long
By who? The longer the better if you ask me. It only happens every 4 years.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM

750 posts, read 922,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
By who? The longer the better if you ask me. It only happens every 4 years.
Financially it does not make sense. The current format already forces a 30-31 day tournament, most tourists travelling to follow their teams can't afford stay very long, typically they pick a window and if that window gets longer, they may rather watch in on TV.

From a quality stand point, it does not make sense either. It is already a massive tournament that teams are playing every 4-5 days, making it longer would increase chances for lesions, fatigue and indirectly affecting the quality of the games.

Then comes all the other issues associated with it, the need of more stadiums to accommodate increased number of matches, more investments in infrastructure on top of already aggressive demands, changes in the club calendars to adapt to the new model, and the list goes on.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,123,882 times
I am pretty positive they can cope giving top European club team play constantly towards the end of the season - a game every few days. Just bring two more cities into the host stadiums.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,433,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
And they wanna take one from conmebol and uefa out of all the confederations? the 2 confeds that produced ALL the world champions?
insane
I wouldn't worry, I can't imagine this would ever happen. Blatter is a bit crazy, he seems to be going over the deep end. I don't think either option would be great, but I bet expansion is more likely that uefa or conmebol losing spots.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I am pretty positive they can cope giving top European club team play constantly towards the end of the season - a game every few days. Just bring two more cities into the host stadiums.
Easy to say, but on reality unpractical. The 40-team idea is Platini's political move to win Asia and Africa votes when competing for FIFA's presidency. He would get your vote I guess, but nobody I know or have published articles about it in the media thinks it's a good idea for the WC.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Seems like the playoffs to define the last teams going to the WC are not getting deserved attention here.

My predictions:

Uruguay beats the hell out of Jordan.

Mexico, despite of all problems, still beats New Zealand. NZ's squad is much inferior, come on!

Croatia and France beat Iceland and Ukraine respectively.

Greece and Romania? No idea, I'm guessing Romania gets it.

Portugal and Sweden. Oh boy, I think Ronaldo is going to the WC, not Ibra.

Africans? I'm not following them, so I have no idea, my bets are based on tradition in this case, therefore, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Ghana will advance.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM

7,893 posts, read 6,694,148 times
I reckon the Ukraine v France game will be a lot closer that some people think.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,433,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I reckon the Ukraine v France game will be a lot closer that some people think.
I agree, but France still has the talent to advance.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM

7,893 posts, read 6,694,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I agree, but France still has the talent to advance.
They do, but it wouldn't be a suprise to me to see the Ukraine get through either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer