U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM

750 posts, read 919,791 times

Advertisements

Well, this was a classic "I told you so moment"

No matter how bad Mexico was playing, fact is they do have squad quality to be in the WC and NZ is not a parallel, even if they major star was playing. They crushed NZ in the first playoff game. Like I said before, the Mexico team was (is?) having a problem of being poorly managed but there is time to fix this if they do it right this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Really the two games show the gap between the bottom of Conmebol and Concacaf and the lesser groups throughout the world.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Well, this was a classic "I told you so moment"

No matter how bad Mexico was playing, fact is they do have squad quality to be in the WC and NZ is not a parallel, even if they major star was playing. They crushed NZ in the first playoff game. Like I said before, the Mexico team was (is?) having a problem of being poorly managed but there is time to fix this if they do it right this time around.
They played NZ, I dont think there is a person alive with half a brain that thought NZ had the slightest chance. I dont think they can be fixed by the WC, im sure theyll dive and cheat their way out of the group stages though.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM

750 posts, read 919,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They played NZ, I dont think there is a person alive with half a brain that thought NZ had the slightest chance
Of course, now that they crushed NZ, everybody is saying that

But there was plenty of hype in the soccer community and news media about the possibility of them losing their spot in the WC due to their very poor performance in the qualifiers.

This all brings back to the same question. No, we do not need to increase spots for Asia, Africa and Oceania. They already have plenty in the current system.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,410,644 times
so, 5th of Asia playing 6th of CONMEBOL at home (for asia) and still losing 5-0 (maybe theyll lose 12-0 in Uruguay???) and still FIFA wants to give ASIA and AFRICA an extra spot??

If any confederation deserves an extra spot, is CONMEBOL.

Take in count that, since this wc is in Brazil, asia had to play the NUMBER 6TH team. In next world cups, theyll have to play the 5th team!! whats the score gonna be like then?? 30-0??

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Colombia just beat the supposed european "revelation" and said to be the dark horse of this world cup: Belgium

Colombia 2- Belgium 0

Yeah, southamerican teams are crap

Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Uruguay gets their ass kicked by every CONMEBOL team and then goes and kicks asian team ass away. Uruguay get their ass kicked by even the weakest conmebol teams, but its still 6 best team in the world, SEEDED to be head of group. Uruguay struggles to even win one game in strong conmebol, and then goes and reachs the semifinal in WC.

so, yeah, basically, CONMEBOL is the strongest confederation, even if haters like ariete and lindavg are gonna hate.

Hopefully wc will have 2 SA finalists so haters stop talking nonsense about CONMEBOL teams not being able to qualify in UEFA.

EVERY tema that has qualified for CONMEBOL (excluding, perhaps, ecuador) would EASILY qualify in UEFA

Actually, i would LOVE to see UEFA teams playing in CONMEBOL. With the insane conditions (playing at unbearable heights) and the fans.

who would make it out of the group with ONLY FOUR SPOTS????

but yeah, keep looking us crappy southamericans down.

We will see in the world cup

(this is to the haters that obviously havent watched any match of the CONMEBOL qualys, not to the vast majority of people posting here, who know what they are talking about )

Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM

1 Spain 1513
2 Germany 1311
3 Argentina 1266
4 Colombia 1178

5 Belgium 1175
6 Uruguay 1164
7 Switzerland 1138
8 Netherlands 1136
8 Italy 1136
10 England 1080
11 Brazil 1078
12 Chile 1051

13 United States 1040
14 Portugal 1036
15 Greece 983
16 Bosnia and Herzegovina 925
17 Ivory Coast 917
18 Croatia 901
19 Russia 874
20 Ukraine
21 France
22 Ecuador

5/6 of the COMEBOL teams playing in brazil 2014 and on the TOP 12 of FIFA RANKING. Thats like 85%. I mean, of the 12 supposed BEST teams in the world, almost HALF are southamericans. And, also, this are almost ALL southamerican participating. Its not like europe, who haves more than double spot than SA haves, of course they are gonna get representation.

But almost ALL southamerican sides (5/6) participating are TOP 12. 85% OF conmebol teams participating are top 12. 50% of them are TOP 10. 100% of them are top 20.

Show me another confederation that can match those percentages, and them come and look down on CONMEBOL qualys.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM

276 posts, read 643,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Colombia just beat the supposed european "revelation" and said to be the dark horse of this world cup: Belgium

Colombia 2- Belgium 0

On Belgium soil nonetheless! Loved it!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,389,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

Colombia 2- Belgium 0

I totally forgot there was football last night, I meant to watch it We beat Japan 1-0 apparently. Edit: wait, I see we haven't played Japan yet, the game is tomorrow. I guess that 1-0 is from the last time we played each other then. Too bad the game is in the afternoon so I won't be able to watch it anyway

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock in friendly results. It's the WC that matters. We were thrashing teams right and left before the last Euro started and look where that got us. I think Colombia and Belgium are pretty equal at this point (both are considered dark horses, not just Belgium) so this game could've gone either way.

Were you this excited when Switzerland beat Brazil in a friendly not too long ago? You know, Brazil is one of the best teams in CONMEBOL so does that mean Switzerland would also be one of the best teams in CONMEBOL?

Last edited by LindavG; 11-15-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer