U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,408,894 times

Advertisements

just heard chile beat england 2-0 yesterday!

well done, chile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,388,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im not trashing UEFA! Im just trying to defend CONMEBOL because you severely underestimate it. Yeah, of course UEFA haves more world class teams than CONMEBOL, because UEFA haves like 6 times more countries than conmebol! Im just saying that the general level (considering the best and worse CONMEBOL sides), SA is harder, more competitive, the level is too even! aka: is harder!
The number of countries is not the decisive factor here. AFC and CAF also have 50+ countries but that does not automatically put them ahead of smaller confederations like CONMEBOL.

Quote:
But ive already said UEFA has more good sides (of course, they have also MUCH more countries than conmebol). Conmebol, for being a region with ONLY 10 countries, having managed to win 9 wc (yeah, even if was only brazil, argentina, and uruguay a millon years ago) and consistently being up in the rankings and consistently producing AMAZING world class players its outstanding and something to reckon, and i think you are not acknowledging that, by repeating UEFA is SO MUCH BETTER than conmebol. You know thats not true. Yes, UEFA has a lot more countries than conmebol, therefore, they have more wc countries. But if we talk percentages, of course conmebol is more impressive, by far, than any other confederation.
The thing that makes UEFA clearly superior to CONMEBOL is depth. If you take away Brazil and Argentina, those percentages you mentioned sound a lot less impressive. You keep saying how South American teams are world class but if that's true, how come they never show it at the WC?

The fact that UEFA has more berths does not explain why Europe consistently dominates the final rounds of the WC. There have been plenty of opportunities for SA teams to kick European teams out of the tournament but they almost always fail to do so. In one of my previous posts, I gave an example of all the times this happened in the last 3 WCs.

Quote:
But, yeah, UEFA are kings. Germany has been the bomb for years, Spains are world champions, and one can never forget about Italy, Netherlands, France (even if they might not make it this time), England, Portugal.

But CONMEBOL haves Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay. For a region that only haves 10 countries, to have that many world class teams, its at least impressive.
Again, what have Colombia and Chile done in recent decades to merit the title of "world class"? If they are world class then so are teams like Belgium, Croatia, Sweden, Greece and Ukraine.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion because I don't want this to be a rivalry between UEFA and CONMEBOL. Both are great federations that have contributed a lot to football. Let's hope the next WC will be one big celebration (that ends with 11 men in bright orange jerseys lifting the cup ).

Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Colombia just beat the supposed european "revelation" and said to be the dark horse of this world cup: Belgium

Colombia 2- Belgium 0

Yeah, southamerican teams are crap
Nobody here in Belgium thought Colombia were crap before the game, on the contrary: there was (and is) a lot of respect for this team. So stop your nagging about us snobby Europeans looking down our noses at the Souh-American teams. That is simply not true.

The game itself: the first half Belgium were a lot better than Colombia. We were denied a clear penalty, we constantly outplayed them in the midfield and Benteke missed a couple of giant opportunities. Second half, Colombia and Belgium were equal. But Colombia scored and we didn't, and that is all that matters in football.

Actually, I don't mind we lost: first of all, it was only a friendly. Second of all, it will hopefully calm down the hype a bit (which is seriously overblown anyway). We are a good team, we're not world class. Point.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Ukraine 2-0 France.
I was shouting during last twenty minutes the game. My team won! But it might be very difficult in France.
Congratulations! Were you guys so good, or were the French so weak? France are a weird team anyway, you never really know what to expect of them.

Anyway, I'm rooting for you guys. If you could manage to score a goal back in Paris, you're in Brazil .

Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,388,837 times
Japan 1-2 Netherlands HT

Japan just scored its first goal ever against us. We're playing well so far. A nice thing is that the Dutch players have donated their premiums for this game and the one against Colombia to charity, to help the Philippines

Edit: game ended 2-2. Japan was much better in the second half. Looking forward to our next game against Colombia. Too bad we're missing some of our key players but it will be a good test anyway

Last edited by LindavG; 11-16-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 01:03 PM

102 posts, read 87,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Congratulations! Were you guys so good, or were the French so weak?
The French were normal, but I think they did't believe that Ukrainians managed to create a strong football team.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Greece 3-1 Romania

No surprise there. Looks like we'll have to suffer Greece and their anti-football once again. I think Greece scored more in this game than in all their WCQ combined, lol.
The surprise for me was the number of goals scored, not the outcome.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,286,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
The surprise for me was the number of goals scored, not the outcome.
me too I thought it would be 2-0 not 3-1.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 PM

I love Kun Aguero!!! Been following since he played for argentina youth NT and you could see his incredible talent even then! Its too bad sometimes the out of this world talent Messi is, outshines other REALLY good talents such as Aguero or Di Maria. Pipita is also a great scorer for our NT, but Aguero haves always had this extra special quality.

Argentina just beat Bosnia 2-0 in USA, without Messi, without usual defenders and midfildiers, but WITH Aguero, who scored 2 goals!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM

He is absolutely freaking amazing:

Sergio Agüero Amazing Volley Goal ~ Argentina 2 - 0 Bosnia & Herzegovina ~ Friendly Match 18/11/2013 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer