U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,426,137 times

Advertisements

Im loving that Messi is out of the field now, and all the hype surrounding him has toned down. Hope he does not win ballon d or fifth (or sixsth??) year in a row and Ronaldo gets it. All the pressure on Ronaldo, then on Neymar. Media forgets about Messi.

And then WC starts and he scores 15 goals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im loving that Messi is out of the field now, and all the hype surrounding him has toned down. Hope he does not win ballon d or fifth (or sixsth??) year in a row and Ronaldo gets it. All the pressure on Ronaldo, then on Neymar. Media forgets about Messi.

My worry about Messi is his current injury will hinder him going forward. Can you imagine him coming back too early, yet again, and injury his leg for the fourth time. Hopefully this isn't a chronic thing for him, it is concerning.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM

21,463 posts, read 19,337,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

I don't think pressure bothers someone like Ronaldo. Yesterday Portugal's participation in Brazil rested on his shoulders, and he played as if it had been just another match...
Players of that caliber don't care about pressure or the cheers and boos from the audience.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM

245 posts, read 256,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'd take that bet anytime, Brazil will be the clear favorite.

I look for Christiano Ronaldo to be the biggest face of the pre-cup hype. He's a 'cousin' of Brazilians, good looking, an interesting interview and currently the best player. Messi can't say these things and Neymar doesn't have that many Brazilians convinced.

Best teams not to make it (assuming Mex and Urug get thru)? Sweden, that's it. Other powers like Turkey and Egypt just have not been in form for too long.

Could be the best WC ever!
Egypt are having a big political turmoil and it is affecting soccer. The Egyptian league is off and most players from the national team play in the league and the only football they get is with their clubs in the African champions league or the International friendly matches. Egypt didn't even qualify for the African cup of nations in 12 and 13 although they were the holders of three consecutive championships. Bob Bradley is a hero to go that far. Unfortunately he is leaving because critics in Egypt do not appreciate him. It would have been a miracle if Egypt went to that world cup. Egypt only has only five players that play in Europe

In addition to Sweden I will miss Ukraine, they gave England and France a hard time but they played there worst in the most important game of their lives.

I expected more from Poland, Czech, Denmark as they have a lot of good players

In Africa I think Ghana can go to the semis, Nigeria also can go far to quarter finals. Algeria and Ivory coast can qualify from the group stages. Cameroon will fail to qualify from the group stages

Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Egypt are having a big political turmoil and it is affecting soccer. The Egyptian league is off and most players from the national team play in the league and the only football they get is with their clubs in the African champions league or the International friendly matches. Egypt didn't even qualify for the African cup of nations in 12 and 13 although they were the holders of three consecutive championships. Bob Bradley is a hero to go that far. Unfortunately he is leaving because critics in Egypt do not appreciate him. It would have been a miracle if Egypt went to that world cup. Egypt only has only five players that play in Europe

In addition to Sweden I will miss Ukraine, they gave England and France a hard time but they played there worst in the most important game of their lives.

I expected more from Poland, Czech, Denmark as they have a lot of good players

In Africa I think Ghana can go to the semis, Nigeria also can go far to quarter finals. Algeria and Ivory coast can qualify from the group stages. Cameroon will fail to qualify from the group stages
nigeria hasn't impressed me I've bben more impressed by the ivory coast.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Just heard about something odd in the news

Y! SPORTS

Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 AM

50 posts, read 85,925 times
In my opinion, Portugal did an awful qualifying: tied both games with Israel (away at 93rd minute), tied at home with Northern Ireland, 2-1 away win in Luxembourg...

In Sweden, Ronaldo was the real striker of Portugal. He was also brilliantly assisted two times by Moutinho and one by Hugo Almeida (the one that was supposed to be the striker). Overshadowing Moutinho is only for the benefit of the team.

I don't think Portugal is dependent on Ronaldo, and that the team is only Ronaldo. Ronaldo didn't have a great participation in the qualifying group stage.

Ronaldo is perfect for counter-attack type of games because of his speed and accuracy. I feel that Portugal played in Sweden like a real team and despite some mistakes they totally deserve the passport.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
In my opinion, Portugal did an awful qualifying: tied both games with Israel (away at 93rd minute), tied at home with Northern Ireland, 2-1 away win in Luxembourg...

In Sweden, Ronaldo was the real striker of Portugal. He was also brilliantly assisted two times by Moutinho and one by Hugo Almeida (the one that was supposed to be the striker). Overshadowing Moutinho is only for the benefit of the team.

I don't think Portugal is dependent on Ronaldo, and that the team is only Ronaldo. Ronaldo didn't have a great participation in the qualifying group stage.

Ronaldo is perfect for counter-attack type of games because of his speed and accuracy. I feel that Portugal played in Sweden like a real team and despite some mistakes they totally deserve the passport.
Sad enough if they can't win a team like Israel (!?!), which should be just an appetizer for a soccer nation like Portugal. And Northern Ireland, Luxembourg?! Give me a break... I'm afraid Portugal will simply be crushed by most of the big teams, unless Portugal improves dramatically during the coming months.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sad enough if they can't win a team like Israel (!?!), which should be just an appetizer for a soccer nation like Portugal. And Northern Ireland, Luxembourg?! Give me a break... I'm afraid Portugal will simply be crushed by most of the big teams, unless Portugal improves dramatically during the coming months.
Idk, the qualifying process is so long that is very common to have uninspired performances. It seems Ronaldo in particular never gets a game off, they ask these guys to play way too many matches and there will always be some flat ones.

So I think Portugal will be pretty tough in the WC, I'd rank them about midway in terms of talent out of the 32 teams going... but with a chance to go deep becaise of the greatness of Ronaldo. I think his style of play (running off the ball, great speed, unstoppable FKs, directness galore) is perfect for the elevated riggers of international play when space is limited, very few slow players are selected and tactics are on the careful side).

They are experienced too, as opposed to say Belgium who may find all their talent looking frustrated and a bit deer-in-headlights on the biggest stage.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,395,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Portugal always struggles during the qualifying stage (at least in recent years) but does much better at the actual tournament. In the Euro 2012 qualifiers, they finished behind Denmark in the group (drawing Cyprus, losing to Norway and Denmark, and drawing Bosnia in the first PO game). In Euro 2012 itself though, Portugal made it to the SF and only lost to Spain on penalties. In the WC 2010 qualifiers, they again finished behind Denmark in the group (failing to beat Denmark or Sweden, drawing Albania). In the WC 2010 itself, Portugal advanced out of the group stage in the GOD and only lost to the eventual winner Spain. In the Euro 2008 qualifiers, Portugal also finished second in their group behind Poland (failing to beat Finland, Serbia and Poland, drawing Armenia). In Euro 2008 itself, Portugal advanced out of the group stage and only narrowly lost to eventual finalist Germany.

Therefore, I'm not that worried about Portugal finishing second in their group this time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer