U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,674,044 times

Advertisements

We won again, but Macedonia really parked the bus. Not a nice game to watch. Thank you Eden Hazard for finding a little gap in that Macedonian wall. (And damn you Croatians for winning against Wales in the last minutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But don't you want to beat them? At least show an attacking threat? USA were lucky not to lose, sitting back and defending like that could have back fired.
Hadnt got the team to go out and win IMHO. Draw was agreat result even though they hung on by a thread.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

921 posts, read 909,684 times
Quote:
But don't you want to beat them? At least show an attacking threat? USA were lucky not to lose, sitting back and defending like that could have back fired.
The tactics worked. US defended well and were organized.
US tried something on counter attacks a few times too.

On the other hand, Mexico created next to nothing, last 5 minutes aside. Chicharito only had 23 touches of the ball or something. All supplies to him were cut short, and Mexico don't really have somebody who can be the difference.
I will say it was a professional away performance by US. Given US record at Azteca and position on the table a draw is a good result.
As per ESPN Soccer Power Index analysis, chances of US to reach WC 2014 are 74% or something
Well done.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
I think the US will make it. I don't see why they cant.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM

667 posts, read 1,493,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Well to be honest, I couldn't tell who would win it. Some really good teams in it. I wouldn't put it past the likes of Uruguay and Argentina either.

I want Argentina to win it so Messi can win a world cup, but if Suarez is still at Liverpool and Uruguay captain, then I would want them to win it. That's of Ireland don't make it to Brazil of course
Uruguay will likely not make the big dance. Suarez collected his 2nd yellow last night so he will miss the next match vs Venezuela(home). He also faces a ban of more games after a real dirty play last night. Literally punched a player trying to mark him off a corner kick. Ref didnt see it but the cameras show the punch to the face.

Uruguay only have 2 home games (3 as visitors) and those home games are against the toughest #1 and #2 teams at the moment (Arg and Colombia). They also have to play in Ecuador's altitude where Ecuador has a perfect winning record. They have the worst defense in Conmebol with 21 goals allowed from 11 matches and just look awful.

Based on remaining fixtures for Conmebol - You need 25 points to clinch a top 4 spot and 23-24 for the playoff spot vs AFC rep (likely one of these -Iran/Australia/Iraq/Jordan). With latest results on hand and looking at home/away schedules the 4 direct spots will likely be: Arg, Col, Ecu, Chile - The 5th spot will likely go to Venezuela

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

667 posts, read 1,493,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I think the US will make it. I don't see why they cant.
I think most US fans believe they will be in the WC. No reason not to. But I also think most fans are realizing that playing like they've been playing they'd struggle to get out of group stage which in turn is heading the wrong way of progress. I'm really surprised in the parity shown in this Concacaf hex. My final 3.5: USA, Mex, Honduras with the direct ticket. Panama with the .5 ticket and beats New Zealand.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
I think most US fans believe they will be in the WC. No reason not to. But I also think most fans are realizing that playing like they've been playing they'd struggle to get out of group stage which in turn is heading the wrong way of progress. I'm really surprised in the parity shown in this Concacaf hex. My final 3.5: USA, Mex, Honduras with the direct ticket. Panama with the .5 ticket and beats New Zealand.
Yeah, I need to see panama play. I have no idea how they look, but they have done well so far in the hex.

BTW, I don't like the Honduras jerseys, maybe worse than the US where's waldo shirts.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM

148 posts, read 153,189 times
CONMEBOL is such a tough region to predict man, i think i would favor the home team in every match, even the countries at the bottom of the table

simply putting together two wins back to back can make such a difference in that gauntlet, hell i wouldnt even count out Paraguay or Bolivia yet

Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Quote:
Brazil haven't won in FIVE matches, needed an 89th minute goal against Russia to get a 1-1 draw. Spain, Holland and Germany are going to run riot against the South Americans next year in Brazil, the only two South American teams looking good are Uruguay and Columbia .
I was reading through this and stumble upon this. WOW, paul, you know i usually agree with you in a lot of things and all, but, HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING SOUTH AMERICAN TEAMS LATELY AT ALL?? lol.

So...where do i start??
Ok, ill start with Argentina, clearly the most impressive team of SA today BY FAR, and this is not said by me cause im argentinian, statistics prove this, and the way the NT has play for the last year and a half. After insane Maradona and useless Batista wasted some of the most talented group of players this team had in years, Sabella (a very good, competent coach) take charge and Argentina changed completely. Yeah, the talent was the same, the players were, more or less, the same, but Argentina, instead of being a lost team with no organization or tactic plan on the field and just relying in individual talent, started being A TEAM. And, by this time, Messi, a magnificient player, who until that time was great for Argentina, but more as a playmaker and not much as a goalscorer, started scoring BIG TIME: Messi scored 12 goals with the NT just in the year 2012 (im not counting 2013 or 2011 matchs) in only 10 games!! This is just one short of Batitustuta all time record (13 goals in a year). He was not only giving assits to all his amazing teammates (Higuain scored almost the similar amount than Messi, and is the actual number 1 goalscorer of the Southamerican qualys, with 9 goals, followed by Messi, with 8), but SCORING, like crazy, and playing like a god. Not only him, but Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria, were able to also show his incredible talent under Sabellas tactics and Messi greatness. This amazing displays of talents include (and im talking about 2012 onwards, not before) wins over switzerland 3-1, Ecuador (now 2nd in SA qualys) 4-0, Brasil 4-3, Germany 3-1, Paraguay 3-1, Uruguay 3-0, Sweden 3-2 and the last Venezuela match on friday, also 3-0. In this matches, Argentina not only SCORED a lot and barely recieved goals, and not only showed the insane amount of talent it haves in attack, it also showed a very solid midfield, with a very inspired Gago, and a Mascherano i havent seen in years: solid as a rock. The defense is not as shacky as it was said it was, proved by the lack of goals Arg had. The DT is also very good, and the team is behaving, for the first time in MANY YEARS...as a TEAM. They get ball possession, passes, they assist eachother, look for the best possitioned players, and, on top of that, this team SCORES...A LOT.

As a big critic of the NT in the Maradona and Batista era, im DELIGTHED to see how this group of young players are playing right now. I ve been following Messi in the NT since he was playing in the sub 20 team many years ago (and was great in it) and then he play for the adult NT and he was always great, but had a problem with scoring as much as scored in Barcelona, and, let me tell you, he was NEVER like he is now, and he has been for the last year and a half. The guy scored 12 goals in 2012!! And not only that (Higuain scored as much, after all) he has been the best player in every game he played for Arg last year, creating plays, assisting, scoring: pretty much the best display of a player for the national team i have seen IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!! Im also a big fan of Aguero (also followed him since forever), Di Maria (amazing player with insane potential) and the great scorer Higuain. So, i think Argentina is, finally, living the golden era: the potential is here, the generation of young out of this world players is here, the goals are here, and the dt is here. And this shows: now every match this team play is packed months before, the people go crazy with Messi. This country, that always revolved about futbol, had a dark era of dissapointment after all the sadness Maradona put us through (almost not making it to WC), and the insane dissapointment of Copa America. But those days are over, and they have been over since Sabella took over in the end of 2011. Argentina national team in 2012 was WOW.

Argentina is currently leader in CONMEBOL qualys with 24 points (5 ahead the second, Ecuador), number 3 in fifa rankings, and the deadliest team in attack in the world.

Im not exxagerating a bit if i say Argentina can and will win the WC. I know being the best is not the only thing you need, but this team has already have its share of BAD LUCk, injusticies, crappy coachs and dissapointments, so 2014 is the time. Argentina will win. I ve been following this team all my life and i havent been this excited for a world cup since FOREVER. They have everything to win it.

So, yeah, basically you havent been watching the southamerican teams in a while? Maybe the last time you seen Argentina play was in 2010 with insane Maradona (that knew squat about coaching) or useless Batista (with no coaching experience) and somehow missed the part in where Argentina is SHINNING and favourite for experts (and in most bets, right after host Brasil) to be the winner of world cup 2014)

And, clearly, the only way you could say Uruguay is "looking good" is if you timetravel to 2011, cause they have been SINKING deeper and deeper, havent won a game since 2011, havent won the LAST 6 QUALY GAMES, and are currently number 6 in the conmebol qualys, with a deadly fixture, and they would need a miracle to even get into the WC.
To see how is the present of Uruguay NT you just need to watch the game against Chile played last tuesday. Thats how bad they are. They havent win in over a year, they are probably the worst team in the conmebol today. It makes you wonder how the hell did they make it that far in 2010, cause if you watch them today, they are a shame to watch, thats how bad they are playing.

Anyways, this is how the things are now in southamerican futbol.

The current state of the conmebol qualys is like this:

1. Argentina 24 points
2. Ecuador 20 points
3. Colombia 19 points
4. Chile 15 points
5. Venezuela 15 points.
6. Uruguay 13 points
7. Peru 11 points
8. Bolivia 9 points
9.Paraguay 8 points

The first 4 qualify. So Argentina, Ecuador and Colombia will qualify automatically. Chile and Venezuela will fight for spot 4 and 5 (the 5th goes to a playoff versus some asian team), Uruguay and the rest will most likely be left out of the WC. Notice that Uruguay, among the teams, is the one that is left with the hardest games to play in all the qualys. So they are pretty much screwed. They could do the miracle (it wont be the first time) but, seeing how they have been playing for the last year at least, seeing the amount of points they have, and what is left for them, it seems almost impossible.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Uruguay will likely not make the big dance. Suarez collected his 2nd yellow last night so he will miss the next match vs Venezuela(home). He also faces a ban of more games after a real dirty play last night. Literally punched a player trying to mark him off a corner kick. Ref didnt see it but the cameras show the punch to the face.

Uruguay only have 2 home games (3 as visitors) and those home games are against the toughest #1 and #2 teams at the moment (Arg and Colombia). They also have to play in Ecuador's altitude where Ecuador has a perfect winning record. They have the worst defense in Conmebol with 21 goals allowed from 11 matches and just look awful.

Based on remaining fixtures for Conmebol - You need 25 points to clinch a top 4 spot and 23-24 for the playoff spot vs AFC rep (likely one of these -Iran/Australia/Iraq/Jordan). With latest results on hand and looking at home/away schedules the 4 direct spots will likely be: Arg, Col, Ecu, Chile - The 5th spot will likely go to Venezuela
This is most likely what will happen. It would be very strange if Uruguay makes it to the world cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer