U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,431,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I wouldn't mind a final Brasil - Argentina. It'd be a first and it be great to see two footbal giants square it off .

On the other hand: outside Europe, there's this increasing tendency to think that European teams are becoming less good and that teams from Africa, Asia, South-America will take over the European reign. Especially three years ago, as the World Cup was held far away from the old continent, this sentiment ruled. We've seen where that led to: 3 out of 4 teams in the semis were European . Don't write us off too quickly...
and 4 of the 8 quarterfinal teams were from Southamerica .

I actually get your point, and im not writing off europe. Actually, the best 2 teams in the world have been, for a while, Spain and Germany. They are 1 and 2 in FIFA rankings and have been impresssive to watch, and spain results since 2008 have been amazing. BUT i do think Brasil 2014 is the turn of a southamerican to win it. And Argentina is long overdue. Argentina has been on the top 5 contenders to win world cup since i have memory (my first memory of a world cup is Mexico 1986, i was 3 years old and Argentina was world champion: from that WC on arg has been a top candidate to win it but couldnt), and has travelled with great teams to a lot of WC (Bielsas team was great, but a mix of bad decitions and inmensly bad luck made Arg lose in first round, being a huge shock and embarrassment for all argentinian people) like Pekermans, but aa mix of bad luck and lack of definition make us not win it. With Maradona argentina team was crap. It had the players, but those players were not in the great moment they are now (can you imagine a better moment for Messi than NOW? after breaking all the goals records with Barcelona last year and winning 4 ballon d or in a road), and Argentina DIDNT have a coach. Maradona had no tactic plan or idea, so there we were, relying ONLY on individual talent, with a mess of a coach and team. Of course Arg didnt won.
But now, 2014, for the first time, everythings perfect: the DT, the moment, the players, the goal, the fact that the cup is held in southamerica in the country next to us (millons of argentinans will be going to brasil, it will be almost like being locals). So, yeah, Argentina will win it.

That doesnt mean europe is easy to beat, quite the contrary. Germany is the team i fear the most, Spain are always good and one can NEVER write off Italy (2006 teached us that). And this arent even the only dangerous european teams.

But, i do think a Southamerica team will win in southamerica. And wich other than Argentina, the current best team of the region with the best player in the world.
It will be a great ending for a wc, everyone will be pleased to see Messi win it.

Well, except for brasilians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I'd love to see Argentina win it. Messi with the winner would be amazing. A player that good deserves to win the World Cup.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
The next match for Argentina will be a solid test: vs Colombia in BsAires. Colombia with Argentina's Pekerman as coach is the best collective team I've seen from Colombia. Even in our recent loss away in Venezuela, Colombia showed plenty of fight and Falcao missed an easy sitter.
Dark horses for WC: Belgium and Colombia.

Colombia is great. Im very impressed with what they have done since Pekerman took charge. Falcao is amazing. That team haves great potential. I sincerely wish Colombia makes it as far as possible or until it faces Argentina. I think all the SA teams have a little bit of advantage over the europeans with the fact that this cup is held in Brasil. Can you imagine all the people from Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Ecuador, Chile, etc that is gonna be in Brasil? It will almost be like being locals but without all the presssure. This will favour Colombia too. If Argentina, for whatever reason (maybe plane falls and players die) does not get far, i want Colombia to win it.

And im looking forward for Colombia-Argentina June 7 in Buenos Aires. Im probably gonna be in the field, watching!!

Anyways but, other than that, i think 2014 is our time to win WC, but i think Colombia will go far. I sincerely hope for Colombia to not be in our group, though.

Do you have any idea what the unseeded teams are gonna be?
Im thinking
Brasil
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Italy
Netherlands
England

And im in doubt about 8th....probably france, right?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im thinking
Brasil
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Italy
Netherlands
England
I'd say Russia or maybe Portugal.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,104,922 times
Portugal look terrible, I am shocked at how bad they are playing.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yeah but aren't they ranked 8th or something? France are not in the top 10, could be top 15.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,397,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Portugal always struggle in the qualifiers, they'll do better once the tournament starts. IF they manage to qualify, that is. Right now they are third in their group, behind Russia and Israel.

The play-offs could be very interesting, with teams like Portugal, England and France (or Spain) all possibly ending second in their respective groups. There are a number of potential first-time participants in the WC as well, such as Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro and Iceland/Albania.

The Netherlands is doing very well so far. We've won all our games (6) with a goal ratio of 20-2. If we win our next two qualifying games against Estonia and Andorra, we will take over West-Germany's 1969-1985 world record for most consecutive WCQ games won (we will have won 16 in a row). It's a very young team with lots of Eredivisie players, mostly from Feyenoord, that many people are probably unfamiliar with. This is the first tournament I can remember where there's no expectations of the Dutch team whatsoever - most people don't even rate them as dark horses - so there's very little pressure, which is nice for a change. I like the atmosphere that is around our team right now (within the Netherlands), there's a lot of excitement, looking to the future, trying out new things and not going crazy if the team doesn't blow away the opposition every time.

Anyway, my predictions for UEFA (I'm not familiar enough with the other qualifying zones to make a prediction):

Group A
1. Croatia
2. Belgium

Group B
1. Italy
2. Denmark

Group C
1. Germany
2. Sweden

Group D
1. Netherlands
2. Romania

Group E
1. Switzerland
2. Iceland

Group F
1. Russia
2. Portugal

Group G
1. Bosnia-Herzegovina
2. Greece

Group H
1. England
2. Montenegro

Group I
1. Spain
2. France

Worst runner-up: Iceland

Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,295,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Colombia is great. Im very impressed with what they have done since Pekerman took charge. Falcao is amazing. That team haves great potential. I sincerely wish Colombia makes it as far as possible or until it faces Argentina. I think all the SA teams have a little bit of advantage over the europeans with the fact that this cup is held in Brasil. Can you imagine all the people from Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Ecuador, Chile, etc that is gonna be in Brasil? It will almost be like being locals but without all the presssure. This will favour Colombia too. If Argentina, for whatever reason (maybe plane falls and players die) does not get far, i want Colombia to win it.

And im looking forward for Colombia-Argentina June 7 in Buenos Aires. Im probably gonna be in the field, watching!!

Anyways but, other than that, i think 2014 is our time to win WC, but i think Colombia will go far. I sincerely hope for Colombia to not be in our group, though.

Do you have any idea what the unseeded teams are gonna be?
Im thinking
Brasil
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Italy
Netherlands
England

And im in doubt about 8th....probably france, right?
u forgot that fifa said that they would bend the rules for concacaf so they would automatically get to have a seeded team if they had a team in the top 10 of the fifa rankings. although right now mexico is only #16 in fifa rankings I expect them to finish in the top 10 after the get there act together in qualifying which means they get the last spot. also, I don't think Italy or England will get seeded as the seeding will be based only on rankings and not how teams finished in prior world cups. so I expect Portugal and Colombia to be seeded instead.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,440 times
(Don't really know where to put this, so...) Did anybody of the Americans here see yesterday's friendly against Belgium? Since the game was broadcast at 2:11 am local time, I didn't get to see it. I saw the highlights, though.

The referee didn't look very good to me, to be honest: the first goal seemed off-side (when the guy that took the corner got the ball back after a double pass, he was off-side) and the second goal just wasn't a penalty.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 AM

921 posts, read 910,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
(Don't really know where to put this, so...) Did anybody of the Americans here see yesterday's friendly against Belgium? Since the game was broadcast at 2:11 am local time, I didn't get to see it. I saw the highlights, though.

The referee didn't look very good to me, to be honest: the first goal seemed off-side (when the guy that took the corner got the ball back after a double pass, he was off-side) and the second goal just wasn't a penalty.
I watched the game, well I watched a good part of it since I followed it along with the Blackhawks game. Referee gave the goals to US, honestly.
First US goal was offside AND a foul. There was no penalty for the second either.
It was an entertaining game, not too much quality, but you can tell Belgians are class. I really start to like their team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer