Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

About the rest of the world teams: i think Germany is a great team. Of all the possible threats for Argentina this upcoming WC, i fear Germany the most, specially cause they know how to beat us , but also cause they have a great team.
Spain is good, but i think they are beatable, based on how they play and how Arg plays, based on the friendlies, and the insane improvment Argentina has showed since, i think Argentina could and will beat Spain in 2014. Hopefully in semifinal.

But, again, biggest threat for Argentina seem to be the archirival Brasil. Yeah, they are looking really bad now, but its not the first WC they look bad, and then they go and win it all (those bastards ) the always have that inner-strenght that made them 5 times world champions. This Brasil side is probably weaker than others and kinda inexperienced, but i see them getting into the final, if not for their own merit, maybe with the help of an easy path and overy nice referees. I think the final of Brasil 2014 will be Argentina-Brasil, and i cant think of a better final actually. Southamerica and the world would love to see this all time archirivals blood fighting in the Brasil WC final.

I predict Argentina will win, and that would be utterly chaos and crazyness. Messi of course will score the winning goals

It will be an unforgetabble world cup, and the definitive consagration of Messi as one of the best players in futbol history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Ok Sophie, you will know better than me I only get to watch a few games, time difference is to much! Maybe an out of date opinion I have.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,009,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ok Sophie, you will know better than me I only get to watch a few games, time difference is to much! Maybe an out of date opinion I have.
Latest kick-off time would be 22:00 your time (if it is Fife-Scotland,where you live)

2014 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
But, again, biggest threat for Argentina seem to be the archirival Brasil. Yeah, they are looking really bad now, but its not the first WC they look bad, and then they go and win it all (those bastards ) the always have that inner-strenght that made them 5 times world champions. This Brasil side is probably weaker than others and kinda inexperienced, but i see them getting into the final, if not for their own merit, maybe with the help of an easy path and overy nice referees. I think the final of Brasil 2014 will be Argentina-Brasil, and i cant think of a better final actually. Southamerica and the world would love to see this all time archirivals blood fighting in the Brasil WC final.

I predict Argentina will win, and that would be utterly chaos and crazyness. Messi of course will score the winning goals

It will be an unforgetabble world cup, and the definitive consagration of Messi as one of the best players in futbol history.
I wouldn't mind a final Brasil - Argentina. It'd be a first and it be great to see two footbal giants square it off .

On the other hand: outside Europe, there's this increasing tendency to think that European teams are becoming less good and that teams from Africa, Asia, South-America will take over the European reign. Especially three years ago, as the World Cup was held far away from the old continent, this sentiment ruled. We've seen where that led to: 3 out of 4 teams in the semis were European . Don't write us off too quickly...

Last edited by Avondrood; 03-28-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
About the rest of the world teams: i think Germany is a great team. Of all the possible threats for Argentina this upcoming WC, i fear Germany the most, specially cause they know how to beat us , but also cause they have a great team.
Spain is good, but i think they are beatable, based on how they play and how Arg plays, based on the friendlies, and the insane improvment Argentina has showed since, i think Argentina could and will beat Spain in 2014. Hopefully in semifinal.

The next match for Argentina will be a solid test: vs Colombia in BsAires. Colombia with Argentina's Pekerman as coach is the best collective team I've seen from Colombia. Even in our recent loss away in Venezuela, Colombia showed plenty of fight and Falcao missed an easy sitter.
Dark horses for WC: Belgium and Colombia.

I think Sabella has done a great job with Argentina. Argentina sits up by 4 points from 2nd place Ecuador and 5 from Colombia but Argentina has one more game in hand. Messi has finally become that pivotal Barca like player everyone was looking to see (and fear). HOWEVER, Messi has played every single match for Argentina and therefore the team is very dependent on his play (rightfully so). He continues to play Champions League and is leading Barca to another Liga title. I have NO idea how his form never really falls off or how he stays pretty clean from injury. I guess what I'm noting is Argentina has to also learn to play WITHOUT Messi to really be at top level and contend for the final title. I think they have a real deep bench and great attacking forwards it's just that Sabella hasnt had the chance to try a "no Messi" alternative. I'm sure if they clinch their WC berth (if they win their next match) Sabella will start to experiment a bit.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,597 times
I'd love to see Argentina win it. Messi with the winner would be amazing. A player that good deserves to win the World Cup.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I'd love to see Argentina win it. Messi with the winner would be amazing. A player that good deserves to win the World Cup.
Phew, I can't imagine the long-term grief this would cause in Brazil. They could tolerate losing to a European team, but if Argentina or another SA side won, most Brasilians would mentally delete the Selectao files from their brains. They would start hating the national team again and put even more passion into the Brasilian Serie A.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
It wouldnt surprise me if they won it but Brazil will be playing at home and FIFA will surely pave the road a little easier for them than Argentina. Also, I remember Bielsa's Argentina was unstoppable during qualifiers and then completely choked for the WC with the eventual winners being Brazil. So one never knows.

Messi, Aguero and Higuain are still so young that they have at least one more world cup to fight for. Argentina have not won any silverware since '93 (Copa America). That's over 20 years and they've had some great players along the way. But no one compares to Messi as he is the X factor.

These would be my picks

From CONMEBOL:
Brazil (young team, home advantage. Will Scolari have enough time to make them gel?),
Arg (have the best player in the world, great attacking team. Will their defense be up to the task?)
Dark horse: Colombia (Long odds but with a very cohesive talented team and a coach who has been to the WC before. If they get a good draw you never know. Built more like a final 8 team than a final 4. Brazil soil will suit them well.)

From UEFA:
Spain (still the team to beat - 2 back to back Euros + WC),
Germany (young team that show very little weakness in any of their lines)
Italy (they are built for short tourneys like WCups - strong defense, smart mid field and deadly counter attacks)
Dark horse: Belgium (Long odds- young team but VERY talented from their defensive line up).

I've started to hear about "World cup travel packages" hoping it's just BS. For a weeks stay, most start at $7k,without airfare, 3 star accommodations, 1-2 matches and with a limited selection of which team you can follow. I'd love to got Brazil for this WC! On my Bucket List. Hoping FIFA and Brazil make it easy to travel and enjoy the party.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Latest kick-off time would be 22:00 your time (if it is Fife-Scotland,where you live)

2014 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's great I always assumed that the games were 2/3 in the morning! More football to endulge in then!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That's great I always assumed that the games were 2/3 in the morning! More football to endulge in then!
Yep, me to. I always associate South American football with 3/4am kick offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer