Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times

Advertisements

This new seeds are interesting

I mean Uruguay is weak, Colombia is beatable, Switzerland is laughable, but they are seeds. While some second tier teams are much more dangerous than them: like Italy or Netherlands.

So there are possibilities for lots of "groups of death" as well as possibilities to very easy groups. Luck in the draw is gonna be very important this world cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
¡Sí se pudo!!!!!

Yes, we made it!!!

Ecuador qualifies to WC Brasil 2014!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Cant believe SWITZERLAND is a seed! and italy netherlands portugal france england are not

hopefully switzerland gets a hard team in their group like one of those mentioned above. If not it will be kinda unfair: switzerland, jordan, australia, iceland (?) or something like that. And then argentina, mexico, netherlands/italy or something like that
France and Portugal might not even make it to the WC so I don't think they deserve to be seeds. France is not even seeded for the play-offs so it's possible that France and Portugal draw each other and only one of them qualifies.

I don't think Colombia and Belgium deserve to be seeded considering that neither of them qualified for the previous two World Cups (and Belgium missed every tournament since 2002). At least Switzerland was there in 2006 and 2010, even made it past the group stage once. Then again, Switzerland failed to qualify for Euro 2012 and was lucky to be in the weakest UEFA group this time. I really don't understand where their high ranking comes from. They're not a bad team but certainly not on the level of The Netherlands, Italy, Portugal (once it's in tournament mode), Croatia or France.

Looks like our win tonight was for nothing, we won't be seeded unless a miracle happens and Uruguay lose to Jordan There will be a lot of "groups of death" at the WC next year. I'm not sure what I would prefer:

Switzerland
New Zealand
Tunisia
Netherlands

OR

Brazil
US
Ghana
Netherlands

The first one would be much easier of course but it would also be boring as hell. There's no honour in defeating any of those sides, anything less than a win would be considered an embarrassment so there's not much to gain. Plus if these "weak" sides are all gathered in one group, there's more chance of meeting a stronger opponent in the next round. I'd rather deal with the stronger sides in the group stage, there's more room for a slip-up there. Therefore, I think I'd rather have the second group. At least it makes for memorable matches I still remember the WC 1998 vividly, that was our greatest generation of all time and we should have won the WC then. I'm sure you remember as well, Sophie. How can you forget this?

In contrast, I don't remember much of the WC 2010, just the game against Brazil and the final. Maybe it's not such a bad thing to be unseeded after all

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM

I think that we should get one of the group of death. I dont think theres a team Argentina cant beat and you have to beat the best in order to be champion. I rather get a group of death but an easy quarterfinal rival (not Brazil or Germany!) cause QF are Argentina weak psycologycal spots after what happened in the last 2 world cups.

So, yeah, give me a hard group of death in first round but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont let our QF rival be Germany again, or Brazil!!!!

If argentina doesnt get Germany or Brazil in quarterfinals, i think we can make it

(Germany in other stage than the QF will be easier, cause they did beat us in QF in the last 2 wcs and theres a heavy psicological factor there. I see Argentina getting stronger after finally getting to Semifinals, so even Brazil is gonna be easier there).

Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
¡Sí se pudo!!!!!

Yes, we made it!!!

Ecuador qualifies to WC Brasil 2014!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Im glad Ecuador is in the world cup! good luck there!
I also wanted Venezuela to make it (instead of Uruguay) but they couldnt

Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I think that we should get one of the group of death. I dont think theres a team Argentina cant beat and you have to beat the best in order to be champion. I rather get a group of death but an easy quarterfinal rival (not Brazil or Germany!) cause QF are Argentina weak psycologycal spots after what happened in the last 2 world cups.

So, yeah, give me a hard group of death in first round but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont let our QF rival be Germany again, or Brazil!!!!

If argentina doesnt get Germany or Brazil in quarterfinals, i think we can make it

(Germany in other stage than the QF will be easier, cause they did beat us in QF in the last 2 wcs and theres a heavy psicological factor there. I see Argentina getting stronger after finally getting to Semifinals, so even Brazil is gonna be easier there).
Y USA Y DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT TO PANAMA!!! they were so close to their first world cup and dumping mexico out. with 4 minutes to go it was Costa Rica 2- 1 Mexico and Panama 2-1 USA with honduras clinching 3rd and panama getting the playoff and mexico finally failing to qualify!! but no the usa just had to go and give Mexico their biggest rival the biggest favor POSSIBLE!!! and score 2 goals to dump panama out and give mexico life. I am so mad at the usa right now. I love it when the usa plays well but not when it helps those arrogant, malnacido, pata sucias, mariconas, saco de huevos.
Sophie don't translate that last part. but yeah you get how I feel.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Y USA Y DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT TO PANAMA!!! they were so close to their first world cup and dumping mexico out. with 4 minutes to go it was Costa Rica 2- 1 Mexico and Panama 2-1 USA with honduras clinching 3rd and panama getting the playoff and mexico finally failing to qualify!! but no the usa just had to go and give Mexico their biggest rival the biggest favor POSSIBLE!!! and score 2 goals to dump panama out and give mexico life. I am so mad at the usa right now. I love it when the usa plays well but not when it helps those arrogant, malnacido, pata sucias, mariconas, saco de huevos.

OH DAMN, it would have been great if mexico didnt qualify, just cause it is unexpected!!!! your rivalry with mexico reminds me of ours with Uruguay, we are always helping those bastards too!

i feel your pain, it sucks. rivals not getting into the wc FTW

Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Whoa! You got a big mouth. Easy there. It's only a game and since when is MEX arrogant? MEX is far from being arrogant. MEX is a mediocre team (especially this present team) just like everyone else in the weak CONCACAF including the USA. Qualifying for the WC doesn't make you good. What makes you good is going deep into the WC tournament in a consistent basis and not getting eliminated after the 1st game of the 2nd round or earlier each time you go. I've never understood why Central Americans have animosity towards a mediocre Mexican National Soccer Team? Historically the National Team has been bad but this time around the team is awful and Central Americans are loving it. Mexico still has a chance to go to Brazil and now Central Americans are hating it. Go figure!

-Cheers.

Last edited by MountainBiking; 10-16-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
So is Argentina's main rival Uruguay or Brazil? Must be a hell of a game.

England don't deserve to be seeded. They won a very weak group, which a decent team would have run away with. I can't see them doing well in Brazil. Gerrard, Lampard are too old, Carrick is too workmanlike, Rooney is the only player close to world class. At least I'll be in a close enough time zone this time to actually see the games. I'm more interested in Belgium to be honest. They will surprise a lot of teams in the WC. I hope Lukaku shines so that perhaps Mourinho will ditch Torres and bring him back into the Chelsea team.

I have no idea why Switzerland are seeded. The seeding system needs looking at.
Yes, yes we get how you feel about the English team!! Cant you change the record for once! jeeez.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:18 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Brace yourself Mexico. We about to jack you up and cause one of the biggest upsets in WC qualifying history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer