U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win WC in 2014?
Brasil 8 20.00%
Spain 4 10.00%
Argentina 5 12.50%
Germany 13 32.50%
Italy 1 2.50%
Netherlands 0 0%
Other 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times

Advertisements

I'll say germany, but it was a tough choice between them and Spain. Spain controls the ball so well, but Germany is really strong again. I don't think Argentina can do it even with Messi, they really rely on him and other teams have stronger all around teams. Brasil is fairly weak right now (compared to past teams), they are having major issues, I am not too high on them right now. Not playing qualifiers doesn't help either. Italy and the Netherlands have outside chances if things go well for them, pretty solid clubs.

Mexico is up and coming, but they need to get on a roll and define themselves better. The US played out a great defensive strategy against them recently, and a team with a stronger offense could have created a some chances. Not sure if an African is ready yet, although they are getting closer...longshoot Cote d'Ivore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,739,971 times
Uruguay are the Copa America holders I believe and I think they'll be serious contenders. The best outside bet for me is Uruguay. They've as good a chance as any other South American team yet are often written off as not in contention for some reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,412,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Uruguay are the Copa America holders I believe and I think they'll be serious contenders. The best outside bet for me is Uruguay. They've as good a chance as any other South American team yet are often written off as not in contention for some reason.
Because they are likely not to even get in the world cup!!!
They are currently in the 6th spot in conmebol qualys, and only the first 4 qualify. The draft they have remaining is really difficult, and the teams in conmebol are so even, that the fight for getting into the wc is harder than ever. They will most likely not gonna get in the world cup. On top of that, they are playing horribly!!! They are currently the team that is playing worst futbol in southamerica, they havent win a game in over a year.

After the 2011 copa america, it all went downhill for them, and its getting worse each time they play.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
They are currently in the 6th spot in conmebol qualys, and only the first 4 qualify. The draft they have remaining is really difficult, and the teams in conmebol are so even, that the fight for getting into the wc is harder than ever. They will most likely not gonna get in the world cup. On top of that, they are playing horribly!!! They are currently the team that is playing worst futbol in southamerica, they havent win a game in over a year.

After the 2011 copa america, it all went downhill for them, and its getting worse each time they play.
Uruguay can still make it though. They are just a couple points behind so-so sides Venezuela and Chile. They only need to catch one of them, then they'll be the favorite in a intercontinental series against an Asian team. But they need to get their mojo back.

Switching points, on this poll only 2 of 20 voters (10%) have chosen Brazil to win their OWN tournament!? Oddsmakers currently have Brazil at 5-2 to win (40% chance). Do I really have to say "don't sleep on Brazil?" There biggest "problem" is selecting the side from a surplus of talent.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM

837 posts, read 2,584,120 times
Mexico!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,412,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Uruguay can still make it though. They are just a couple points behind so-so sides Venezuela and Chile. They only need to catch one of them, then they'll be the favorite in a intercontinental series against an Asian team. But they need to get their mojo back.

Switching points, on this poll only 2 of 20 voters (10%) have chosen Brazil to win their OWN tournament!? Oddsmakers currently have Brazil at 5-2 to win (40% chance). Do I really have to say "don't sleep on Brazil?" There biggest "problem" is selecting the side from a surplus of talent.
The current sides of Chile and Venezuela are playing much better than Uruguay.

I understand Uruguay had their 15 minutes of world glory coming 4th in world cup and winning Copa America, but luck seems to be over. If you watch them play, they are not brining it. Plus, star Luis Suarez will be out for the next 3 games, and their draw is awful. I mean, its not impoisslbe them making it to the WC, i just dont think they will considering the situation they are in today.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,978 times
Quote:
The current sides of Chile and Venezuela are playing much better than Uruguay.

I understand Uruguay had their 15 minutes of world glory coming 4th in world cup and winning Copa America, but luck seems to be over. If you watch them play, they are not brining it. Plus, star Luis Suarez will be out for the next 3 games, and their draw is awful. I mean, its not impoisslbe them making it to the WC, i just dont think they will considering the situation they are in today.
I see Uruguay is away to Venezuela, Peru, and Ecuador and home vs Colombia and Argentina. And both Venezuela and Chile have easier remaining matches so I think you are right.

Two-time World Cup Champions Uruguay are on very thin ice. I won't mind Suarez watching from home, but Cavani would be one of the world's best players NOT to be Brazil bound in 2014. Gareth Bale will likely be another.

Last edited by Back to NE; 04-09-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Two-time World Cup Champions Uruguay are on very thin ice. I won't mind Suarez watching from home, but Cavani would be one of the world's best players NOT to be Brazil bound in 2014. Gareth Bale will likely be another.
Portugal may not get in, C Ronaldo is no slouch.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Chile are a brilliant side.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,739,971 times
Quote:

Just as well I never went through with that £20 wager then.

Having said that throughout history Uruguay have always been pretty ugly to watch compared to their rivals.

But looking at the table they are only two points off fourth position with even fifth making them eligible for an inter confederation play-off.

I still think they'll make it and besides Argentina hadn't won for soemthing like a year before the 1990 World Cup and they almost won it. Form is sometimes hard to gauge going into a world cup tournament.

If Uruguay can find the form of 2011 then who knows but if as you say they are playing appallingly (and i haven't been following the qualifiers so I'll bow to your superior knowledge) and the teams are so evenly matched who would you pick as an outside shot from South America outside the predictable two of Brazil or Argentina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer