U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
it's not redundant to call it American football on a soccer message board where the terms soccer and football are both used to describe the sport of soccer.
Speaking in general...

Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
See what I mean?
Most of them just joke around, the others are just, you know, typical 16 year old soccer fans.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
There are many places that take on a geographic or weather characteristic, some of which aren't favorable - such as the Iowa State Cyclones, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns, Colorado Rockies, etc
The only name that isn't favorable are the Iowa State Cyclones. The rest make sense.

Looking at the NBA for example, the LA Lakers doesn't make sense. When they were in Minnesota, the name came from the Land of 10,000 Lakes nicknames. Los Angeles doesn't have anything similar to that. Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats are other examples.

Elsewhere you have the Los Angeles Dodgers of the MLB, Arizona Cardinals in the NFL and the Calgary Flames in the NHL.

Last edited by Joke Insurance; 04-29-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, I know that.
Then why are you questioning it Do you just get off on seeing someone talk about Texas?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The only name that isn't favorable are the Iowa State Cyclones.
Iowa is in "Tornado Alley". Tornadoes = Cyclones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Then why are you questioning it Do you just get off on seeing someone talk about Texas?
No. It's that you basically just repeated what I said.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
not favorable as in dangerous I believe as this goes back to the "earthquakes" part of the conversation .... again, that was just one example of a team that is using a less than favorable weather condition in their nickname that is notable for their location - other examples are teams that use "hurricanes" like Miami & Tulsa .... many have some variation of "wave" which could be a dangerous weather condition

having something that is a serious local weather threat in your name does fit with the area, even if it is destructive .... locals can sometimes take pride in their ability to survive such things while their athletic team will crush others

i know the miami hurricanes use a lot of hurricane related symbols, from the hurricane warning flag, sirens, the ibis, smoke, etc

Quote:
The only name that isn't favorable are the Iowa State Cyclones. The rest make sense.

Looking at the NBA for example, the LA Lakers doesn't make sense. When they were in Minnesota, the name came from the Land of 10,000 Lakes nicknames. Los Angeles doesn't have anything similar to that. Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats are other examples.

Elsewhere you have the Los Angeles Dodgers of the MLB, Arizona Cardinals in the NFL and the Calgary Flames in the NHL.
As for the rest, they have already been discussed so nothing really new ..... all but one of those teams have moved (charlotte) and their circumstance has already been talked about

Lakers was perfect in Mpls
Jazz perfect in Utah
Grizzlies definitely fit Vancouver
Dodgers definitely fit Brooklyn

Cardinals are one of the teams that were based on color, which was very common for the time - keeping in mind that the cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL .... they still wear red and it still fits, also there are in fact Cardinals (the bird version) in AZ as well .....definitely not a major characteristic of the state but they are present ....... it's still a "color" thing though like countless other teams at that time (

Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Lakers was perfect in Mpls
Jazz perfect in Utah
Grizzlies definitely fit Vancouver
Dodgers definitely fit Brooklyn
So what new names would you give those teams then?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
The MLS names are fine. Soccer names are copied all over the world so to me it's no big deal. IMO, baseball has the best names.

GO REAL SALT LAKE!

If you believe then just stand up on your feet
and shout it loud, REAL,
here at the Riot the BATTLE hymn's begun.
WE'RE HERE FOR R.S.L.

Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, UT. (A.K.A. The RioT)

Cheers.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Quote:
So what new names would you give those teams then?
Something different .... but aside from the point as those were mentioned as examples of how a team can end up with an out of place name by having the franchise move ..... as opposed to branding yourself from the start with a name that makes no sense

I also like a lot of the soccer only stadiums .... Rio Tinto is nice, I remember driving in the area when it was being built and shortly there after ..... I need to make it back up to SLC again sometime soon

Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,372 times
Who cares what our team names are?

Our league is growing stronger every year. The skill level increases every season and the support does aswell.

I never imaged we'd have a league as great as ours is now... and it's still so young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer