U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,116,576 times

Advertisements

He was an amazing player. Skillful? No, but if you are a striker or attacking midfielder you wanted Becks on your team, his vision and passing was unmatched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM

254 posts, read 199,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Could also be argued Celtic were one of the three top sides in the mid 60s and Liverpool were the top side at spells during 70s/80s.
Good point. I'd add Liverpool and put a 2012 at the end of Barcelona. They are done.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:58 PM

70 posts, read 89,972 times
Quote:
Could also be argued Celtic were one of the three top sides in the mid 60s and Liverpool were the top side at spells during 70s/80s.
Honestly, I rated the teams whose performance and success on the pitch impressed me; but lets begin with the 60's , which alongside the 50's is my favourite football decade; In the early 60's Benifca dominated Europe defeating RM in a magic final in 62 , with a hat-trick of Puskas , which wasn't enough, on the other side of the Atlantic Santos with Pele and Countinho was dominating SA football; a couple of years later HH moved to Italy and began the era of Il grande Inter (a not mentioned team), and the catenaccio began to be successful, Peñarol won 3 silverware in SA (another not mentioned team), and in the end of the decade a team , which in my humble opinion could be considered the king of anti-football, was the most decorated in that decade , Estudiantes de la Plata, coached by Zubeldia ( another not mentioned team), and probably Celtic was the 1sr British team which won the EC, and played with local players, but in my opinion the other had more influence , which could be good or bad during the 60’s.

A decade later began with the total voetball, which was an evolution of the total football played by River in the 40's, and Ajax won 3 EC in a row and changed totally the football, later Bayern leaded by Muller and Beckenbauer did the same, but being very lucky in it 1st final drawing the match in the last minute , thanks to a mistake of Pepe Reina's dad; on the other side of the Atlantic Independiente won 4 CL in a row and played a beautiful football, thanks to one of the best registas all-time, Ricardo Bochini; but the end of the decade was different, with English teams dominating Europe, specifically winning 6 EC in a row, and Boca winning 2 CL in SA; the early 80's followed a similar trend in Europe but the tragic episode in Heysel changed all, and probably Liverpool could have won more silverware, before the irruption of the superb Sachi's Milan.

In resume, I am not impressed by the football dispayed by Liverpool and in general English teams which dominated Europe in the late 70's and early 80's; I can say the same by Peñarol and Internzaionale in the early 60's , Estudiantes some years later , Juventus in the late 90's or Boca in the early noughties, because at least for me, having success is not enough ,for that reason I only listed teams whose performance on the pitch really impressed me, and the aforementioned didn't.

Last edited by dony1982; 04-30-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dony1982 View Post
Honestly, I rated the teams whose performance and success on the pitch impressed me; but lets begin with the 60's , which alongside the 50's is my favourite football decade; In the early 60's Benifca dominated Europe defeating RM in a magic final in 62 , with a hat-trick of Puskas , which wasn't enough, on the other side of the Atlantic Santos with Pele and Countinho was dominating SA football; a couple of years later HH moved to Italy and began the era of Il grande Inter (a not mentioned team), and the catenaccio began to be successful, Peñarol won 3 silverware in SA (another not mentioned team), and in the end of the decade a team , which in my humble opinion could be considered the king of anti-football, was the most decorated in that decade , Estudiantes de la Plata, coached by Zubeldia ( another not mentioned team), and probably Celtic was the 1sr British team which won the EC, and played with local players, but in my opinion the other had more influence , which could be good or bad during the 60’s.

A decade later began with the total voetball, which was an evolution of the total football played by River in the 40's, and Ajax won 3 EC in a row and changed totally the football, later Bayern leaded by Muller and Beckenbauer did the same, but being very lucky in it 1st final drawing the match in the last minute , thanks to a mistake of Pepe Reina's dad; on the other side of the Atlantic Independiente won 4 CL in a row and played a beautiful football, thanks to one of the best registas all-time, Ricardo Bochini; but the end of the decade was different, with English teams dominating Europe, specifically winning 6 EC in a row, and Boca winning 2 CL in SA; the early 80's followed a similar trend in Europe but the tragic episode in Heysel changed all, and probably Liverpool could have won more silverware, before the irruption of the superb Sachi's Milan.

In resume, I am not impressed by the football dispayed by Liverpool and in general English teams which dominated Europe in the late 70's and early 80's; I can say the same by Peñarol and Internzaionale in the early 60's , Estudiantes some years later , Juventus in the late 90's or Boca in the early noughties, because at least for me, having success is not enough ,for that reason I only listed teams whose performance on the pitch really impressed me, and the aforementioned didn't.
But Ticki Tacki putting everyone to sleep and diving all over the field Barcelona impresses you?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
But Ticki Tacki putting everyone to sleep and diving all over the field Barcelona impresses you?

It depends I was raised in Argentina, and the tiki -taka is an evolution of the River's style, which was played by Pedernera , Moreno, Di Stefano and Labruna in the early 40’s , and later mastered by Rinnus Michel in the 70’s , and I can see elements like the pressing of Sachi's Milan.

I know what u mean in general,in South American countries and "European Latin Countries", by that I mean Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and the outsider "Netherland" football is elaborated and players are more technically gifted (yes including the Catennacio’s powerhouse) , but outside them, in places like , Britain, Scandinavia and Centre-Europe (being BM in the early 70's an odditie), there is a more physical direct football, which considering myself a purist , doesn’t really attract me , which is a matter of personal opinion.

I don't also agree with Valdano saying that British don't see the difference between Rugby and football, because that is RUDE; every football way is valid , and direct football with long balls is also a legitimate way to win , in that way Germany and England had won 4WC, but I dunno the beautiful technically gifted football attracted me more, in the same way ,that I would chose any day to watch a match played with Garrincha, Zidane, Pele, Puskas, Bochini ,Iniesta, or by Flamengo, River Plate or Barcelona .

Last edited by dony1982; 04-30-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 AM

That is crap, did you watch Celtic of the mid 60s, Arsenal of the early 00s, Bayern Munich and Dortmund of today? Football the way it should be played. Do some research Germany, England, Franc and even Sweden and Scotland have had teams in the past that played fast flowing football. Zidane, Rues, Gotze, Otzil, Ibrahimovic, Wilshire, Lewandoski, Jimmy Johnsone, Henrik Larsson, Emanuelle Pitet etc aren't from Southern Europe yet played/play skilful football.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
That is crap, did you watch Celtic of the mid 60s, Arsenal of the early 00s, Bayern Munich and Dortmund of today? Football the way it should be played. Do some research Germany, England, Franc and even Sweden and Scotland have had teams in the past that played fast flowing football. Zidane, Rues, Gotze, Otzil, Ibrahimovic, Wilshire, Lewandoski, Jimmy Johnsone, Henrik Larsson, Emanuelle Pitet etc aren't from Southern Europe yet played/play skilful football.
Well, I watched all the WC matches played since 1954 in videos and all the EC finals, it could be true that some teams played some way of "jogo bontio" outside the latin sphere, like Honved but there is still a difference , I didn't state that football should be played in one way or another, just it depends of football culture and perceptions, also with exception of Zizou and probably Slatan, I can't see something special in your list of players, maybe Bergkamp , Kopa , Platoche and Gento are better examples, but I won't call your statement crap or something similar.

Celtic didn't play any kind of jogo bonito or Arsenal in the 60's if u compare them with their contemporaries Santos, Botafogo or Benfica ; and about the current German teams they physically outplayed the Spanish sides , something similar that we suffered against the Germans, when they hauled us 4-0 in WC2010.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Belgium, France, Germany are amazing teams from NORTHERN EUROPE. Henry, Zidane, Scholes, Giggs, Bale, Dalglish, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Platini, George Best, Gasgoine, Thuram, Yashin, Koeman, Kahn, Schmiecle, Van Basten, Law etc were all NORTHERN EUROPEAN.

And you don't know much about football if you don't think they and Rues, Gotze, Otzil, Lewandoski are world class.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Good point. I'd add Liverpool and put a 2012 at the end of Barcelona. They are done.
Bayern 7 - Barcelona 0

Haha. Midget ball is dead. Not a surprise to me at all

Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,415,013 times
Gasgoine ? He wasnt that good by any stretch. Contriversial prick, but a great player ,I dont agree.

WTF are you talking about midget ball ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer