U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,781 times

Advertisements

You guys can argue pro/rel until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change the simple fact that.....

Hardcore soccer fans who would willingly watch MLS low table relegation battles DO NOT offset the sheer amount of money wasted by corporations owning a team. If a team drops off the top level, people are NOT going to show up let alone watch on TV. This isn't Europe, it's just not.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,641,998 times
Once the MLS really picks up and starts drawing younger international talent, it's going to be a lot more entertaining to watch than the European version of the sport provided that the league remains equitable since it won't be the same teams dominating every year. Not knowing who's going to make it to the top of the table by the end of the season is what's going to get people to watch in my opinion unlike the European leagues where you can safely bet on the same teams every year.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,125,261 times
More entertaining than Europe lol are you nuts?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,312,568 times
Europe will always be number one because it has the number one club competition on the planet.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,507,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
You guys can argue pro/rel until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change the simple fact that.....

Hardcore soccer fans who would willingly watch MLS low table relegation battles DO NOT offset the sheer amount of money wasted by corporations owning a team. If a team drops off the top level, people are NOT going to show up let alone watch on TV. This isn't Europe, it's just not.
99% of soccer leagues around the planet use pro/rel. It's not just Europe. It's a system that works everywhere in the soccer world.

our D2 is avging 5k right now with no pro/rel. That's pretty darn good. With pro/rel you would get closer to 6-10k depending on the club.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Once the MLS really picks up and starts drawing younger international talent, it's going to be a lot more entertaining to watch than the European version of the sport provided that the league remains equitable since it won't be the same teams dominating every year. Not knowing who's going to make it to the top of the table by the end of the season is what's going to get people to watch in my opinion unlike the European leagues where you can safely bet on the same teams every year.
Only La Liga really fits that description. Man U has dominated the EPL because Ferguson is a football genius. Man U wasn't always a top team and you won't see that kind of dominance continue.

Ligue 1 has had 5 different champions in 5 years.
Bundesliga has had 3 different champions in 5 years.
Serie A has had 3 different champions in 5 years.
Dutch league has had 4 different champions in 6 years.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
More entertaining than Europe lol are you nuts?
Yes believe it or not, there are more than European football clubs. Are you by chance American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Only La Liga really fits that description. Man U has dominated the EPL because Ferguson is a football genius. Man U wasn't always a top team and you won't see that kind of dominance continue.

Ligue 1 has had 5 different champions in 5 years.
Bundesliga has had 3 different champions in 5 years.
Serie A has had 3 different champions in 5 years.
Dutch league has had 4 different champions in 6 years.
I'll reserve judgement until we see how effective the FPP rules are.

As someone mentioned earlier, certain leagues tend to be dominated by a certain number of clubs. Just looking at the number of championships awarded over the past 30 years tends to reveal that Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga tend have smaller amount of teams dominating compared to Serie A and the Eredivisie which have more.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yes believe it or not, there are more than European football clubs. Are you by chance American?

I'll reserve judgement until we see how effective the FPP rules are.

As someone mentioned earlier, certain leagues tend to be dominated by a certain number of clubs. Just looking at the number of championships awarded over the past 30 years tends to reveal that Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga tend have smaller amount of teams dominating compared to Serie A and the Eredivisie which have more.
That's because those clubs are run better than other clubs and have better fan support than other clubs. It's the way it should be. Is the EPL any less exciting because only 5 clubs have a legit chance to win the league? Not to me. And not to football fans. It's the most popular league on the planet.

Besides, winning the league is only one competition. Most clubs in Europe have a goal of making it into European tournaments. For the better clubs that means the Champions league. For lesser clubs it means Europa. Not every club is ready to win the league. Take Aston Villa for example. They will not win the league and they know it. A few years ago though they were a club that had Champions league ambitions. Then they declined as a club and had Europa league ambitions. They've continued to decline and their ambition the last couple seasons was to just stay up in the Premier League. This is how to works not only in Europe but all over the soccer world. Different clubs have different goals and ambitions.

Soccer is a global game. It's not the same as American football. Would anyone really want to see an EPL with a salary cap where the league spread out all the top players around? Hell no. The quality of the league would suffer. Most people want to see greatness. And greatness should not be restrained by artificial methods like salary caps. FPP is a good idea because it at least allows clubs to maximize their potential and allows clubs to keep their autonomy. I'd love to see FPP in MLS instead of the salary cap.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Spending more money for top players than you earn in a single season and then relying on your investors to make up the difference is not how a league should be run. Big clubs can spend their way into the red and small clubs can't. As an American viewing it, I don't find monopoly and predictability to be entertaining. I can pretty much tell what every club that most American fans support have in common and I'm sure you can guess what that is. I'm glad the MLS isn't a league where the LA Galaxy or DC United can become financial super powers based off past success and dominate the rest of the league because the other clubs can't compete financially. I guess this just comes down a fundamental differences in how we think the sport should be run on the business side.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Spending more money for top players than you earn in a single season and then relying on your investors to make up the difference is not how a league should be run. Big clubs can spend their way into the red and small clubs can't. As an American viewing it, I don't find monopoly and predictability to be entertaining. I can pretty much tell what every club that most American fans support have in common and I'm sure you can guess what that is. I'm glad the MLS isn't a league where the LA Galaxy or DC United can become financial super powers based off past success and dominate the rest of the league because the other clubs can't compete financially. I guess this just comes down a fundamental differences in how we think the sport should be run on the business side.
Financial Fair Play, when fully integrated in UEFA will prevent that. And it should. But clubs are a business and sometimes a business will go into the red because in the long run it is beneficial to the business. Look at the La Galaxy. They have spent more than most MLS clubs and they have increased the brand of their club through their spending. The money they gave Beckham was worth it because how it increased the brand of LA Galaxy. You could make the same argument with Man City. Before Man City was bought by billionaires they were a lower table club with a brand that was barely known outside of England. Yes, they have spent into the red, but look at what they have gotten from it. They are now a worldwide brand and one of the most well known clubs.

You could get rid of the salary cap in MLS and allow free agency and it would help the league immensely. It would not create a league where there are have and have nots for the simple reason that the type of players available to MLS are not superstars and you would not have that much of a disparity in talent. What you would have though is real clubs with autonomy on who they sign, sell, and buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or