U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:19 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,101,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Yes believe it or not, there are more than European football clubs. Are you by chance American?

I'll reserve judgement until we see how effective the FPP rules are.

As someone mentioned earlier, certain leagues tend to be dominated by a certain number of clubs. Just looking at the number of championships awarded over the past 30 years tends to reveal that Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga tend have smaller amount of teams dominating compared to Serie A and the Eredivisie which have more.
No I am Scottish and European football is, and always has been, the best.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,675,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Spending more money for top players than you earn in a single season and then relying on your investors to make up the difference is not how a league should be run. Big clubs can spend their way into the red and small clubs can't. As an American viewing it, I don't find monopoly and predictability to be entertaining. I can pretty much tell what every club that most American fans support have in common and I'm sure you can guess what that is. I'm glad the MLS isn't a league where the LA Galaxy or DC United can become financial super powers based off past success and dominate the rest of the league because the other clubs can't compete financially. I guess this just comes down a fundamental differences in how we think the sport should be run on the business side.
One word for you: Bundesliga. All German teams are required to be majority-owned by German club members. No sheiks or Russian oil tycoons. And it's one of the best competitions in the world nonetheless .

Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
99% of soccer leagues around the planet use pro/rel. It's not just Europe. It's a system that works everywhere in the soccer world.

our D2 is avging 5k right now with no pro/rel. That's pretty darn good. With pro/rel you would get closer to 6-10k depending on the club.
And in most of those markets soccer is FAR AND AWAY the top sporting draw at the gate and on TV, it's not here. People (Americans) don't show up or stay up late for second rate, they stop watching and do something else.

I contest the idea that 5,000 attendance is pretty darn good by any stretch of the imagination. When MLS can get TV ratings and endorsements level with the NBA, then we'll talk.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
That wont happen though. The MLS wont ever grow to the level of the NFL and other US sports. This forum is a perfect example. How many people post on the soccer forum? Not many. How many people post on the football forum? To many.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,502,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
And in most of those markets soccer is FAR AND AWAY the top sporting draw at the gate and on TV, it's not here. People (Americans) don't show up or stay up late for second rate, they stop watching and do something else.

I contest the idea that 5,000 attendance is pretty darn good by any stretch of the imagination. When MLS can get TV ratings and endorsements level with the NBA, then we'll talk.
stop with your nonsense. Pro/rel is in every football league. Not just football leagues where football is the most popular sport. Pro/rel is in Japan and S Korea and football is not a top 3 sport in either of these countries. What's happened since Japan put in pro/rel? Their football culture has flourished, they have added dozens of clubs, and their national side is benefitting from all the competition.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
That wont happen though. The MLS wont ever grow to the level of the NFL and other US sports. This forum is a perfect example. How many people post on the soccer forum? Not many. How many people post on the football forum? To many.
Avg attendances says otherwise, and besides City Data is hardly a good all on Sports in America. There are many other places *cough* soccer *cough* fans go and some of them are huge.

Tip the NFL ? Probably not, other sports yes it is well on the way. MLS is a very young league in comparison to other American sports. Its amazing how many more people I talk to about MLS and football in general compared to 10 years ago.
MLS passes NBA as third best-attended American sport - SOCCER - Sporting News

Currently ranked 3rd in this table. Major League Soccer attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Champions League final, think I could go to Belle Chase Louisiana and avoid the score till Monday ? Nope, innocent ol me goes in to Fat Tuesdays and walk in on a few rednecks talking about the game in Dortmund jerseys! Thinks are turning, slowly ... but they are turning.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
That's what I am hoping for Brian. The bigger the sport gets the better.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Whats the point in having a league where no one can get relegated/promoted? As I said, winning the league wont mean anything if its a league with the exact same teams every year. I also don't see how it would be enjoyable. No last day heartbreak. That's the sort of thing that will get you viewers.

My point on competing with other leagues goes back to a discussion I had on this site a few months ago. People were saying that the MLS can compete with the top football leagues in Europe. It cant. I am not just talking about financially. Who wants to play in a league where a team cant get relegated or promoted? Top players want to play in thrilling leagues. A league that stays the same is boring and not appealing to the best players.

As I said, the league needs to grow first before anything is done. The MLS needs to keep doing what it is doing. However, in years to come, a promoted/relegated system needs to come in to bring more excitement and thrill to the league and to widen the fanbase. A few more big name has-beens wouldn't hurt either. The league is growing which is the main thing at the minute and I hope to see it do well. The more football, the better.

Provide a link to one interview with a world class player where they have said they wont play in a league that doesnt have pro/reg. Find me just one. I bet you cant do it.

You really think pro/reg has any bearing on the top players and where they will play? You have to be kidding. If anything, they would love to be in a league where getting relegated just isnt possible.

The changing of teams due to pro/reg is only exciting when the promoted teams get a chance to win the title but that doesnt happen. Promoted teams might float at mid table and usually get relegated within a few seasons. It doesnt add nearly as much as excitement as you think it does. Sports fans watch the best teams, not the teams at the bottom. That is the case for every sport. Pro/reg is only exciting for the fans of the teams in the pro/reg zone each particular season. Outside of that, few care. Pro/reg is not nearly as important as you think it is and definitely will not determine the success or failure of MLS. The overwhelming success of MLS at such a young age proves you're wrong.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The MLS needs to keep growing but it will soon need to bring in a promotion/relegation system.

Being that the MLS target market is mostly US sports fans, this has no bearing in reality. American sports fans by and large dont even know what pro/reg is so how does that have any bearing on future growth?

Please provide a link showing support for your statement because it is completely illogical. Pro/reg would put several teams out of business, how do you not see that. Teams going out of business = kills MLS growth.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That should be the risk you have to take. If the MLS wants to compete with other football leagues, its gonna have to adapt to the way the other leagues play the game.

LOL! Yeah, here is the MLS pitch:

Come do business with us! Put a few hundred million on the line only to have a 50/50 shot of losing every penny!

It's kind of funny that Manchester City owners would put that kind of money into the league when apparently you say it wont have future growth. Dont you think the Man City owners know more than you about what it takes to grow the league in the future or are you smarter sitting behind your keyboard with what is obviously not the slightest clue about how business works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or