U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 AM
 
921 posts, read 910,647 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

BBC Sport - Sir Alex Ferguson to retire as Manchester United manager

Thank you Sir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,322 times
Reputation: 288
Adiós purple face and adiós the era of Man Utd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times
Reputation: 5087
What are the odds on Utd crumbling after this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,849 posts, read 3,976,894 times
Reputation: 6509
So THE best manager job in all of football becomes vacant, any ideas/rumours on who will get the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,322 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So THE best manager job in all of football becomes vacant, any ideas/rumours on who will get the job?
That's the weird thing about it though. Its not the best job. The jobs a poisoned chalice. No matter who comes in, they will never do what he did. No matter what Moyes does, it wont be good enough.

Man Ud have lived the glory the last 20 years. I honestly do think its the end of an era. Whats happened at Utd has been great for their fans and they have had a great 20 years but its also dangerous what has been happening there. Now they are joining modern football where a manager can be gone after 6 months if they are not up to scratch. Its going to be a big kick in the teeth to them and their fans.

If I am honest, I couldn't be happier to see him leave. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Manchester United now. Whatever happens, its safe to say that they will never be the same again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,849 posts, read 3,976,894 times
Reputation: 6509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
That's the weird thing about it though. Its not the best job. The jobs a poisoned chalice. No matter who comes in, they will never do what he did. No matter what Moyes does, it wont be good enough.

Man Ud have lived the glory the last 20 years. I honestly do think its the end of an era. Whats happened at Utd has been great for their fans and they have had a great 20 years but its also dangerous what has been happening there. Now they are joining modern football where a manager can be gone after 6 months if they are not up to scratch. Its going to be a big kick in the teeth to them and their fans.

If I am honest, I couldn't be happier to see him leave. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Manchester United now. Whatever happens, its safe to say that they will never be the same again.
I hear you on Sir Alex being an incredibly tough act to follow. But ManU is much bigger than even such a brilliant coach, they are beyond a club, they are a brand. You could almost say they are bringing soccer to Asia for instance. Even if they drop out of European competitition the next few years the fan base will still be huge world-wide.

But I expect them to land a good coach and a bunch of new players, the talent pool for this summer looks real strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Reputation: 4093
David Moyes without a doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,322 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I hear you on Sir Alex being an incredibly tough act to follow. But ManU is much bigger than even such a brilliant coach, they are beyond a club, they are a brand. You could almost say they are bringing soccer to Asia for instance. Even if they drop out of European competitition the next few years the fan base will still be huge world-wide.
That's the thing though. If they drop out of Europe will they sack their new boss and get dragged into the whole new manager every season thing? What do the fans expect? Honeymoon is over for them. Welcome to the modern football world MUFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Reputation: 4093
Fergie for Scotland!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
 
921 posts, read 910,647 times
Reputation: 96
I would like to see Solskjaer or Giggs or a combo of them both taking it over from Sir Alex and start a new, exciting post SAF life, but I don't think it will happen....not now though.

As for Moyes ... his lack of European experience is what is worrying. He should be fine in EPL, but CL is different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top