U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,210 posts, read 1,942,790 times
Reputation: 804

Advertisements

I like Miami SC. SC can stand for Soccer Club or Sporting Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
Reputation: 688
If Miami get's a futbol team it better have it's name in Spanish, and I already have 3 perfect names. first is Atlético Nacional, The 2nd one is Independiente Miami and the 3rd one is Deportivo Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM
 
1,356 posts, read 1,637,945 times
Reputation: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I like Miami SC. SC can stand for Soccer Club or Sporting Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
If Miami get's a futbol team it better have it's name in Spanish, and I already have 3 perfect names. first is Atlético Nacional, The 2nd one is Independiente Miami and the 3rd one is Deportivo Miami.
Me gusta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by octa View Post
me gusta
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
 
782 posts, read 937,313 times
Reputation: 1016
I do think that there will be a team placed in Miami, and I think it is asking for an absolute, unmitigated disaster. There is a reason that the first MLS franchise placed there always had horrendous attendance and ultimately folded. Miami is not a football/soccer city.

It feels to me as though old, dumb white guys in charge (of MLS and advertisers) look and think "hey, Miami is latino, they must love soccer". This ignores the fact that the majority of the latino population of Miami is Cuban in descent, and Cubans by and large care about soccer as much as Americans do.

Miami is a bad sports town all around, who have struggled to properly support all of their pro teams apart from possibly the Dolphins, and now you are taking a sport with not enough roots there and trying to force one in there.

If you want a team in Floriday there are other parts of the state with much deeper footballing roots. If you just want another southern city there are many more, and superior options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I do think that there will be a team placed in Miami, and I think it is asking for an absolute, unmitigated disaster. There is a reason that the first MLS franchise placed there always had horrendous attendance and ultimately folded. Miami is not a football/soccer city.

It feels to me as though old, dumb white guys in charge (of MLS and advertisers) look and think "hey, Miami is latino, they must love soccer". This ignores the fact that the majority of the latino population of Miami is Cuban in descent, and Cubans by and large care about soccer as much as Americans do.

Miami is a bad sports town all around, who have struggled to properly support all of their pro teams apart from possibly the Dolphins, and now you are taking a sport with not enough roots there and trying to force one in there.

If you want a team in Floriday there are other parts of the state with much deeper footballing roots. If you just want another southern city there are many more, and superior options.
you are crazy. Miami is a huge futbol town. it's just we already support Latin american and European teams. so getting us to switch clubs is the tricky part. but to say Miami doesn't love futbol is absolutely insane. every world cup we rank #1 in the nation in viewing and ratings, and if you say we don't show up to games that's also a lie. Miami holds the state record for attendance of a futbol match in the state of Florida at 71k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM
 
782 posts, read 937,313 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
you are crazy. Miami is a huge futbol town. it's just we already support Latin american and European teams. so getting us to switch clubs is the tricky part. but to say Miami doesn't love futbol is absolutely insane. every world cup we rank #1 in the nation in viewing and ratings, and if you say we don't show up to games that's also a lie. Miami holds the state record for attendance of a futbol match in the state of Florida at 71k.
So why did the MLS club there fold like a cheap suit? With virtually no attendence at the matches? Hell, major American sports don't draw there - look at the problems the Marlins have had historically and ongoing. Miami does not support professional sports, and the one time they were given an MLS team they fantastically failed to support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
So why did the MLS club there fold like a cheap suit? With virtually no attendence at the matches? Hell, major American sports don't draw there - look at the problems the Marlins have had historically and ongoing. Miami does not support professional sports, and the one time they were given an MLS team they fantastically failed to support it.
Because like I said we already support teams in Latin America and Europe so when a low quality MLS team comes in it's going to have to try very hard to convert the Real Madrid and Barcelona fans into Deportivo Miami fans. futbol fans does not = MLS fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
 
782 posts, read 937,313 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Because like I said we already support teams in Latin America and Europe so when a low quality MLS team comes in it's going to have to try very hard to convert the Real Madrid and Barcelona fans into Deportivo Miami fans. futbol fans does not = MLS fans.
Ok, so first off - what makes this time any different then? Why give Miami another team?

Secondly, that is utter BS - a complete copout. Every MLS club that started started with fans who are fans of latin american and european teams. Houston has a large population of latinos, and they are overwhelmingly dedicated to Mexican football and they have been wildly succesful.

1. Miami failed to support their team once
2. Miami fails to support all of their professional sporting teams with the possible exception of the Dolphins.
3. Nothing has changed

So, again I ask you ... why Miami, when there are other markets who want a team and who are more likely to support the club? And what has changed that is magically going to make Miami successful this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Ok, so first off - what makes this time any different then? Why give Miami another team?

Secondly, that is utter BS - a complete copout. Every MLS club that started started with fans who are fans of latin american and european teams. Houston has a large population of latinos, and they are overwhelmingly dedicated to Mexican football and they have been wildly succesful.

1. Miami failed to support their team once
2. Miami fails to support all of their professional sporting teams with the possible exception of the Dolphins.
3. Nothing has changed

So, again I ask you ... why Miami, when there are other markets who want a team and who are more likely to support the club? And what has changed that is magically going to make Miami successful this time?
because I would go and I personally want one Also the heat average in the top 5 for attendance so they are a huge success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top