U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Reputation: 4093

Advertisements

Ok you thought it!

Hilarious.

Were are your comments BEFORE the result.

And Spain are still the best team on earth at the moment only an idiot would say otherwise. They have won the last three major tournaments. Yes Brazil done great but they have to win the Next two copa Americas and next years World Cup to be considered as good as Spain! Yesterday was ONE match!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
 
782 posts, read 936,138 times
Reputation: 1016
Spain is clearly one of the best teams in the world and loaded with talent and many more young faces coming up the ranks. However, they are seriously lacking a real forward (Torres is crap, Villa has lost a step and hasn't really been playing, Del Bosque for whatever reason seems unwilling to give Soldado or Negredo a shot), Xavi is starting to show his age some, and they are certainly not a clear cut favorite next year.

This summer, though a "Mickey Mouse" competition in some ways, and not a really sought after trophy, continues the history of Europe failing to win in South and North America. I also frankly think that Germany is every bit as loaded with talent, able to play with Spain at Spain's game, and able to excel in areas of the game that Spain is weakest (aerial battles, set pieces, etc). You also have to look at Argentina who are loaded with more attacking talent than anyone on the planet, and playing without the Europe-on-South-American-soil factor, and I think Brazil announced here at the Confed Cup that they have to be taken seriously playing on home soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ok you thought it!

Hilarious.

Were are your comments BEFORE the result.

And Spain are still the best team on earth at the moment only an idiot would say otherwise. They have won the last three major tournaments. Yes Brazil done great but they have to win the Next two copa Americas and next years World Cup to be considered as good as Spain! Yesterday was ONE match!
I've got several recent posts touting Brazil's greatness. One was my shock that so few people on CD picked Brazil to win their own World Cup!

BTW, the recent success you quote for Spain is practically their ONLY success. If Brazil is the Beatles, Spain is Coldplay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Reputation: 4093
Show me a post where you said Brazil would outplay Spain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
 
750 posts, read 919,934 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Spain is clearly one of the best teams in the world and loaded with talent and many more young faces coming up the ranks. However, they are seriously lacking a real forward (Torres is crap, Villa has lost a step and hasn't really been playing, Del Bosque for whatever reason seems unwilling to give Soldado or Negredo a shot), Xavi is starting to show his age some, and they are certainly not a clear cut favorite next year.

This summer, though a "Mickey Mouse" competition in some ways, and not a really sought after trophy, continues the history of Europe failing to win in South and North America. I also frankly think that Germany is every bit as loaded with talent, able to play with Spain at Spain's game, and able to excel in areas of the game that Spain is weakest (aerial battles, set pieces, etc). You also have to look at Argentina who are loaded with more attacking talent than anyone on the planet, and playing without the Europe-on-South-American-soil factor, and I think Brazil announced here at the Confed Cup that they have to be taken seriously playing on home soil.
I agree.

Spain is great but the lack of a more offensive player is really starting to hurt them and I think it will be particularly problematic in the WC in Brazil, where teams will tend to play more offensively. Italy, thanks to good tactics was close to send Spain home in the semis. Germany is young and solid, I think they will potentially do better in the WC than Spain. Except for the unquestionable talent of Messi, Argentina is not that good, Spain/Germany/Brazil to me has more quality overall, but no question Argentina will be a strong contender playing in South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I agree.

Spain is great but the lack of a more offensive player is really starting to hurt them and I think it will be particularly problematic in the WC in Brazil, where teams will tend to play more offensively. Italy, thanks to good tactics was close to send Spain home in the semis. Germany is young and solid, I think they will potentially do better in the WC than Spain. Except for the unquestionable talent of Messi, Argentina is not that good, Spain/Germany/Brazil to me has more quality overall, but no question Argentina will be a strong contender playing in South America.
One interesting thing about the Brazil team, the fans are always complaining about Hulk and that he is in the starting line-up, but I kind of like his game. He doesn't have a beautiful game, but his strength and constant motor adds to the team, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,138 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Except for the unquestionable talent of Messi, Argentina is not that good, Spain/Germany/Brazil to me has more quality overall, but no question Argentina will be a strong contender playing in South America.
I disagree about Argentina. Messi/Tevez/Higuain/Lavezzi/Di Maria ... no one on the planet has the depth or quality of attacking talent that Argentina has. Messi has started to reproduce his club form at the national level, and one genius like that can lift a team to victory.

Mascherano and to a lesser extent Gago give them some bite in the center of midfield. Their problem is, obviously, the defensive end of the pitch. But with their attacking talent they are a team to be feared next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Show me a post where you said Brazil would outplay Spain?
Never wrote it on CD but would have said it anytime, any year... not least cuz I love watching Brazil play, and like the country. Spain I would have compared to this year's Barcelona squad, can beat you only one way and don't play athletic enough.

Heck, Brazil should be the favorite in any tournament they enter. They could have played a "D" team and won this tournament. Granted, Spain could have played a "B" team and done perhaps better than they did.

Am I really having to tout Brasil as being kinda good at soccer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
 
750 posts, read 919,934 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I disagree about Argentina. Messi/Tevez/Higuain/Lavezzi/Di Maria ... no one on the planet has the depth or quality of attacking talent that Argentina has. Messi has started to reproduce his club form at the national level, and one genius like that can lift a team to victory.

Mascherano and to a lesser extent Gago give them some bite in the center of midfield. Their problem is, obviously, the defensive end of the pitch. But with their attacking talent they are a team to be feared next summer.
The Argentina's squad is generally old, their defense is of much lower quality than the top teams we talked about. Messi is often a little lost playing for Argentina. To say that they will be the "team to be feared in next summer" is a little too far fetched in my opinion. Although they are leading the South American qualifiers, they have delivered some very poor performances. I think all the South American teams will have an edge by playing in the neighbor Brazil, so Argentina does have the potential to do well, but I don't see them in the final game as much as I see Spain or Brazil or Germany.

Brazil is just now showing signs of a strong competitive team, it had not been like that lately when they felt to their worst position in the stupid FIFA ranking in their history. They could not win a big team since the last WC and people were really starting to think they would not be competitive playing in the WC even playing at home. But the lack of official games is a huge disadvantage for WC hosts. The qualifiers is the best opportunity to get the team ready for the WC and Brazil was missing that. Thanks to the Confederations Cup and a switch to a master motivator coach, they were able to win the cup and start building their confidence back, but I don't think they are ready yet. However, if well managed for now on, they will certainly be. I hope so anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,138 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
The Argentina's squad is generally old, their defense is of much lower quality than the top teams we talked about.
Among the midfield and attackers there is are only two or three players on their roster over 29, and none of them are starters. Even in defense they are not that old either, look them up. The only problem with the entire team is that apart from Zabaletta there is not alot of quality in the defense.

If they can hold it together at that end of the pitch though (and it IS possible) they could do it, and they have the attacking talent to outscore anybody.

Quote:
Messi is often a little lost playing for Argentina.
That is true if you were to have said it two or three years ago. In the last year and a half to two years? 27 appearances (25 starts, 2 subs), 22 goals for the national team. He is starting to show for the national team what he does for the club, and I think he is going to be especially motivated to make a statement and take a World Cup by the throat like people have been wanting him too. Next summer is his chance to put an exclamation point on his career and his place in history and I think he is very motivated to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top