U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM

782 posts, read 936,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Am I really having to tout Brasil as being kinda good at soccer?
Brazil have been pretty poor (for them) for awhile now, and that has been apparent to anybody watching. They have a younger crop of players that they are trying to patch into a team, and at this tournament (weak as it is) they showed that they may have turned a corner. We will see how they hold it together, but Brazil has not been "Brazil" for awhile now. They went out in the quarterfinals of both of the last two world cups, as well as the last Copa America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
...and I think he is going to be especially motivated to make a statement and take a World Cup by the throat like people have been wanting him too. Next summer is his chance to put an exclamation point on his career and his place in history and I think he is very motivated to do it.
An even greater motivation would be to win in Brazil, the Argentines would stick it in the Brazilians face forever. That would be the worst case scenario for Brazil, to have Argentina win the WC in Rio.

It would go down in history next to other great stories of this rivalry, such as the Peru game in the 1978 WC game and the holy water incident. Great rivalry.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,972,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Brazil have been pretty poor (for them) for awhile now, and that has been apparent to anybody watching. They have a younger crop of players that they are trying to patch into a team, and at this tournament (weak as it is) they showed that they may have turned a corner. We will see how they hold it together, but Brazil has not been "Brazil" for awhile now. They went out in the quarterfinals of both of the last two world cups, as well as the last Copa America.
Well then I'll take credit for never buying it. Brazil hasn't had to play much meaningful soccer for awhile now, but when it's time for Brazil to be Brazil, they deliver. Sorry but Brazilians don't really value Copa America.

The only time you have to worry about Brazil playing poorly in a world cup nowadays is when they feel pressured to play this or that aging superstar. This team won't have that problem for quite awhile.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,095,038 times
So here we go. Brazil beats Spain and now everyone's experts and are actually picking flaws haha. Spain are current European and World champions for gods sake. No one will remember the confederations cup after next year. Spain will turn if on when it matters they always do. Short memories some people.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM

And brazil won a Micky mouse cup at HOME. What exactly are you taking credit for? They will not get past Spain or Germany next year at the World Cup. I think Spain are allowed an off day after being unbeaten in 30 games.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
So here we go. Brazil beats Spain and now everyone's experts and are actually picking flaws haha. Spain are current European and World champions for gods sake. No one will remember the confederations cup after next year. Spain will turn if on when it matters they always do. Short memories some people.
The concern I think stems from Barca & Real getting knocked out of the Champions league, along with the recent Italy and Brazil games. Maybe that Spain appears more vulnerable along with Germany, Brazil, and Italy all appearing really tough right now. I definitely think Spain has a good chance in the next WC, its just that the competition seems to be improving...maybe better than some were predicting.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM

Brazil are good no doubt but I don't think they can beat 3 of the best teams in the world in a row. The team that can get through the 1/4s, semis and final will be Spain or Germany. I would say that Germany are on the way up and Spain are on the way down. But Spain have unbelievable youngsters coming through. In a years time Spain can rebuild another squad with Thiago, Isco etc.

I'd call Brazil 3rd favourite to win. But, along with Spain and Germany, Argentina, Holland and France will have something to say about that.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,308,191 times
I can see it being Spain v Argentina in the final next year. Spain will be favourites I think. Hope Argentina do it though.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM

750 posts, read 920,403 times
I agree it's too soon to tell how competitive Brazil is going to be in the WC, it will depend how the team behaves from now on but they have finally showed signs they may be coming back for good. Their major problem is the lack of official games as the hosts. I will say this though. Their coach is a master playoff strategist and if they come to the WC motivated, playing at home, I doubt they won't win it. You gotta respect a 5 time winner with 2 other runner ups.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,972,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
And brazil won a Micky mouse cup at HOME. What exactly are you taking credit for? They will not get past Spain or Germany next year at the World Cup. I think Spain are allowed an off day after being unbeaten in 30 games.
I'm just taking credit for not buying that Brazil's recent lackluster play signals a drop in their world football stature.

BTW, I'd take the wager that Brazil will get past Spain or Germany next Summer, any smart investor would. I love the German nat'l team, consistently the most watchable, attractive team in the world in the last decade. But I worry that they are a little too open and daring, and could use a bit of Spain's suffocating care with the ball to reach ultimate glory.

Spain has been on a great run but we can see some growing concerns, and it could get awkward (when its time to consider replacing veteran stars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or