U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:18 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,106,591 times

Advertisements

I don't care what anyone says I cannot see anyone but Spain or Germany lifting the World Cup. You can have a different opinion but that's mine. They are on another level completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM

782 posts, read 937,587 times
1. European teams have a terrible record of performance on South American soil.
2. Messi is playing on another planet at the minute, and is finally translating that to his performances in the national team.
3. Messi-Tevez-Lavezzi-Aguero-Di Maria-Higuain ... Argentina have attacking talent that exceeds anyone, including Spain. They may not have the overall team that Spain has, but they have a collection of attackers that is second to no one.

Argentina are someone to be feared next summer absolutely.

edit - not just South American soil. There have been 7 World Cups held in either South or North America. 7 times South American teams won.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,106,591 times
We will see. You are blind if you don't think Spain and Germany are favourites.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM

782 posts, read 937,587 times
I think Spain - Germany - Argentina are favorites. I think Italy - France - Brazil are also conte.ders, tho less likely.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Yeah agreed.

By the way, what team did you play for? I could of played against you in my days at Liverpool
Oh, but I never played football at a high level . There are 8 different levels in Belgian football and I got only to the 4th level (which is the lowest national level). Could have gotten more out of it, but I never really enjoyed training when I was younger (I preferred partying). I regret that now, but oh well...I had a good time nonetheless .

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
But as I said above, there are often games where they are playing quality sides who are affraid to press them and push their own game and tactics, and in those cases it generally turns into a boring pass-the-ball-around-the-back-and-midfield-and-never-create-a-single-chance-hardly match that makes one want to put their eyes out.
You're right, that can get boring, even to me. But then I blame the other side for not wanting to play along and just park the bus. Although I do understand that, for those other sides, that is often their only hope of getting a decent result.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Spain were untouchable first half, amazing football. No South American team, or European, will get near them or Germany in Brazil next year.
Yeah, the first half was ridiculous. I said to my kids about halfway through the first half that Uruguay had the ball for about 1 minute combined (exageration, but still). Uruguay was putting no pressure on the ball in the first half, especially around midfield, which is a good way to lose to Spain. At another point I said to my son that Spain had 10 men in the attacking half, easily passing back and forth with minimal pressure. I personally didn't like the game plan for Uruguay, but they do have weaknesses in the back.

I say Spain and Germany are definitely favorites next year, they will be tough to beat.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,296,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Uruaguy maybe 5th but at a mini tournament they can easily do well. They were south Americas best side two years ago you don't become bad over night. Cavani, Suarez will threaten ANYONE.
Try telling the Mexicans that. less than a year ago it seemed like they would sweep all of concacaf in qualifying and break every record. now it seems they may not qualify.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, the first half was ridiculous. I said to my kids about halfway through the first half that Uruguay had the ball for about 1 minute combined (exageration, but still). Uruguay was putting no pressure on the ball in the first half, especially around midfield, which is a good way to lose to Spain. At another point I said to my son that Spain had 10 men in the attacking half, easily passing back and forth with minimal pressure. I personally didn't like the game plan for Uruguay, but they do have weaknesses in the back.

I say Spain and Germany are definitely favorites next year, they will be tough to beat.
actually it wasn't an exaggeration. in the 20mins leading up to the first goal Spain had 93% possesion

Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
actually it wasn't an exaggeration. in the 20mins leading up to the first goal Spain had 93% possesion
That is unbelievable. I was thinking about the first AC Milan-Barca game at the start of this game. The big difference is that AC Milan put pressure higher up the field and cut off passing angles as Barca moved into the attacking third.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
That is unbelievable. I was thinking about the first AC Milan-Barca game at the start of this game. The big difference is that AC Milan put pressure higher up the field and cut off passing angles as Barca moved into the attacking third.
I can't even imagine how much possession Spain will have against Tahiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or