U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,290,661 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
An argument could be made for CONCACAF losing one spot - however, I don't think you can make that argument until you take a spot each from Africa and Asia, because CONCACAF outperforms each of them. Yes CONCACAF's good performances are pretty much Mexico and the US, whereas you have more random teams from say Africa who can pop up. But Africa performs terribly at the world cup.

And I don't think the world cup is about the 32 best teams in the world as you say. If it was then Oceania shouldn't get any slots, and Asia and CONCACAF might have three slots between them combined. The world cup is about a worldwide spectacle, and giving a chance and a hope to all regions of the world (however little those hopes may be).
I did do that in fact I took 2 spots from Africa and Asia and took 1 from concacaf. Which I gave to south America and Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,640 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I did do that in fact I took 2 spots from Africa and Asia and took 1 from concacaf. Which I gave to south America and Europe.
And as virtually everyone has said that is going to too far of an extreme. This is not a tournament intended to get the 32 best nations in the world. It is a global celebration of the beautiful game, a show stage to bring in more fans, a celebration of varied cultures and languages ... it needs participation from all parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,451 posts, read 1,426,137 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
It is the world cup, and I think you need to have adequate participation from all regions. I do think some adjustments need to be made, but not near as serious as everyone here is giving. I think that the following are reasonable changes that I wish would be made:

(host nation gets an invite for free)
Africa present allocation: 5 new allocation 4
Asia present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 3.5
CONCACAF present allocation: 3.5
CONMEBOL present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 5.5
Europe present allocation: 13 new allocation 14
OFC present allocation: 0.5

Asia losing one slot and CONMEBOL gaining one spot is a no brainer to me. With so few nations I don't think that the 6.5 slots proposed by the OP is reasonable. I don't think that 70% of South America need be represented in the tournament. The tougher one is Africa - Europe. I do feel that African nations always overpromise and under-deliver, but giving only four slots to a continent so large, of so much population, and so many nations is rather tough. However, until they can offer something more to the tournament I don't see a need for more representation. An alternate adjustment to this would be giving CONMEBOL simply 5 and giving Africa the half spot.
won't CONCACAF need another one once Texas secedes and becomes a new nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,290,661 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
won't CONCACAF need another one once Texas secedes and becomes a new nation?
Right like Obama would ever let that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,451 posts, read 1,426,137 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Right like Obama would ever let that happen.
not sure if srs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Reputation: 4857
North America+South America and Asia+Oceania should fuse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,290,661 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
North America+South America and Asia+Oceania should fuse!
yes to NA and SA fusing but only if the staggered system for concacaf is kept and the hex joins the rest of SA for the final round. As for Asia and Oceania Huge yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,183 times
Reputation: 127
I think they should cancel qualifying and all teams enter directly in a knockout stage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,518 posts, read 5,461,782 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
North America+South America and Asia+Oceania should fuse!
I think it would be better to merge Oceania and Asia into one, then split Asia into an Eastern and Western Confederation. One confederation with about 70 national teams spaning almost half the world is going to be way too big.

The OFC however is a total joke, something needs to be done with it.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-19-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think it would be better to merge Oceania and Asia into one, then split Asia into an Eastern and Western Confederation. One confederation with about 70 national teams spaning almost half the world is going to be way too big.

The OFC however is a total joke, something needs to be done with it.


Arabia (Greater Middle East):
Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia, Yemen,
Oman, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey,
Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan.

Asia:
India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand,
Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Philippines, Vietnam, China, Macau, Hong Kong,
Taiwan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Papua New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand.

Pacific islands should unite in 1 team imo with the best players from each country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top