U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,288,574 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

Under the current format Europe will get 13 berths South America will get 4.5 berths +1 because Brazil is the host. Africa will get 5, Asia will get 4.5, Concacaf will get 3.5, and Oceania will get .5. I don't know about you guys but I think FIFA is giveing to many spots to Asia, Africa, and Concacaf. While giving to few to Europe and South America. So here is my new berths chart tell me what you guys think.
Europe: 16 berths
South America: 6.5 berths +1 as host
Africa: 3 berths
Asia: 2.5 berths
Concacaf: 2.5 berths
OFC: .5 berths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,095 times
Reputation: 127
I think they should rename the world cup Euro/Comnebol cup and remove other continents from it or Fifa choses the most commercialized teams to enter the world cup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,288,574 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
I think they should rename the world cup Euro/Comnebol cup and remove other continents from it or Fifa choses the most commercialized teams to enter the world cup
why? at least under the world cup you can have cool places host the world cup and give them the illusion that they can still win it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Reputation: 4857
Europe: 16 berths
South America: 6 berths +1 as host
Africa: 3.5 berths
Asia: 3 berths
North America: 2 berths
Oceania: 0.5 berths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,288,574 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Europe: 16 berths
South America: 6 berths +1 as host
Africa: 3.5 berths
Asia: 3 berths
North America: 2 berths
Oceania: 0.5 berths
well after looking at it again I would make south america 7 berths +1 as host and take it from asia but give asia the .5 from africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,262 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Under the current format Europe will get 13 berths South America will get 4.5 berths +1 because Brazil is the host. Africa will get 5, Asia will get 4.5, Concacaf will get 3.5, and Oceania will get .5. I don't know about you guys but I think FIFA is giveing to many spots to Asia, Africa, and Concacaf. While giving to few to Europe and South America. So here is my new berths chart tell me what you guys think.
Europe: 16 berths
South America: 6.5 berths +1 as host
Africa: 3 berths
Asia: 2.5 berths
Concacaf: 2.5 berths
OFC: .5 berths
It is the world cup, and I think you need to have adequate participation from all regions. I do think some adjustments need to be made, but not near as serious as everyone here is giving. I think that the following are reasonable changes that I wish would be made:

(host nation gets an invite for free)
Africa present allocation: 5 new allocation 4
Asia present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 3.5
CONCACAF present allocation: 3.5
CONMEBOL present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 5.5
Europe present allocation: 13 new allocation 14
OFC present allocation: 0.5

Asia losing one slot and CONMEBOL gaining one spot is a no brainer to me. With so few nations I don't think that the 6.5 slots proposed by the OP is reasonable. I don't think that 70% of South America need be represented in the tournament. The tougher one is Africa - Europe. I do feel that African nations always overpromise and under-deliver, but giving only four slots to a continent so large, of so much population, and so many nations is rather tough. However, until they can offer something more to the tournament I don't see a need for more representation. An alternate adjustment to this would be giving CONMEBOL simply 5 and giving Africa the half spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,891 posts, read 3,288,574 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
It is the world cup, and I think you need to have adequate participation from all regions. I do think some adjustments need to be made, but not near as serious as everyone here is giving. I think that the following are reasonable changes that I wish would be made:

(host nation gets an invite for free)
Africa present allocation: 5 new allocation 4
Asia present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 3.5
CONCACAF present allocation: 3.5
CONMEBOL present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 5.5
Europe present allocation: 13 new allocation 14
OFC present allocation: 0.5

Asia losing one slot and CONMEBOL gaining one spot is a no brainer to me. With so few nations I don't think that the 6.5 slots proposed by the OP is reasonable. I don't think that 70% of South America need be represented in the tournament. The tougher one is Africa - Europe. I do feel that African nations always overpromise and under-deliver, but giving only four slots to a continent so large, of so much population, and so many nations is rather tough. However, until they can offer something more to the tournament I don't see a need for more representation. An alternate adjustment to this would be giving CONMEBOL simply 5 and giving Africa the half spot.
the world cup is about having the best 32 teams in the world play each other. now if 28 teams come from the 2 best regions in the world and the rest of the world only gets 4 teams to bad for the rest of the world that they can't compete. as for why I say south america needs such high Representation is because they are the only region in the world to have every team(except for Venezuela) qualify at least twice and make the round of 16. No other region has such powerful teams from top to bottom. as for concacaf it needs to lose a spot to make it at least a challenge for all teams. not how it is now that a sub par USA team can be so close to clinching qualification .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,262 times
Reputation: 1016
An argument could be made for CONCACAF losing one spot - however, I don't think you can make that argument until you take a spot each from Africa and Asia, because CONCACAF outperforms each of them. Yes CONCACAF's good performances are pretty much Mexico and the US, whereas you have more random teams from say Africa who can pop up. But Africa performs terribly at the world cup.

And I don't think the world cup is about the 32 best teams in the world as you say. If it was then Oceania shouldn't get any slots, and Asia and CONCACAF might have three slots between them combined. The world cup is about a worldwide spectacle, and giving a chance and a hope to all regions of the world (however little those hopes may be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,849 posts, read 3,969,978 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
the world cup is about having the best 32 teams in the world play each other.
This is fundamentally no longer true. It is certainly not to FIFA/Seth Blatter obviously, allowing Qatar to host and even South Africa was not top 32 when they hosted. And in the various continental tourneys (Euros, Copa America, AFR Cup of Nations, etc.), sometimes low ranked teams are allowed to host or co-host.

And if that was the intent, it would look like this (based on current FIFA world rankings):

Europe - 18
South America - 7
Africa - 4
Asia - 1
Concacaf - 2
Oceania - 0

The World Cup is a celebration not only of the beautiful game, but also of global culture and good will among men during relative peacetime. So I think they have the allocations about right at present. If Africa ever starts winning WC matches, I'd hope to see another team or two added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,419,102 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
(host nation gets an invite for free)
Africa present allocation: 5 new allocation 4
Asia present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 3.5
CONCACAF present allocation: 3.5
CONMEBOL present allocation: 4.5 new allocation 5.5
Europe present allocation: 13 new allocation 14
OFC present allocation: 0.5
I think this is pretty close, but I would take .5 from Concacaf and give that to UEFA. If I could give two 1/2 (not one qualifying, but two play in teams in one region), they would go to UEFA and the other.5 would come from Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top