Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Belgium are not over hyped. They are class.
I would agree. If they make it to Brazil, and right now it appears as though they're at least making the UEFA playoff round, they could make some noise. Between Lukaku, Hazard, Kompany, Fellaini and Courtois, they have some solid, and relatively young players to deploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Belgium are the poor man's germany. They need to make it broz!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,894 times
Simon Mignolet is another good keeper and Belgian player. Wonder what Prem team he will play for next season

Belgium have a great team. Talent there that will be around for a while. Give it till Russia 2018 and they will be contenders.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Simon Mignolet is another good keeper and Belgian player. Wonder what Prem team he will play for next season

Belgium have a great team. Talent there that will be around for a while. Give it till Russia 2018 and they will be contenders.
I think we have a strong enough team, yes. Not brilliant as Spain or Germany, but on par with the likes of France, Portugal, Croatia, Italy. We have two world class keepers, a solid defense and a couple of very good midfield players that can make the difference. The only thing we don't yet have is a great striker. Benteke and Lukaku have been good - but not great thus far.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,894 times
If Benteke has another season like last, he will be sold for a lot of money to a big club.

Lukaku is amazing I think. Absolutely top class strong striker who knows where the back of the net is. Still only very young to. Future is bright for him and Benteke.

Belguims superstar is Hazard. I think that he will shine next year in the PL and he will be the best player in the league within two years. My moneys on him getting POTY.

Axel Witsel excites me. Watch out for him. Think he will only get better. He will get a lot of media attention if he moves to Paris this window. Deadly player.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
They have world class players in EVER position except right back and left back.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Quote:
They have world class players in EVER position except right back and left back.
You are either really stretching the definition, or have an extremely loose definition of what a "world class" player is, which kind of waters it down for those truly special players.

I am not knocking Belgium by any stretch, but generally when talking about "world class" players you are talking about someone who is on the extreme short list of best players in that position in the world. Belgium has some outstanding young talents and a bright future, as well as some players who might become world class. But of players who truly are world class, to me (and I would think most people) you have Kompany for sure; possibly Eden Hazard; and potentially (and this is stretching it quite a ways) Vertonghen.

But with that last, were I to name the top CBs in the world - Kompany, Vidic, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Chielini and or Barzagli, maybe Dante, Pique (though he has been a bit down), perhaps Verane getting in there ... I'm not sure Vertonghen would make the cut.

Certainly their two keepers are amazing, but with names like Buffon, Neuer, Hart, Iker (yes despite Jose's dissing of him), Lloris and so many others I don't know that either Beglian keeper has a right to be among those kind of hallowed names yet. Perhaps one day, but not yet. Despite Courtois' great form and promise, he can't even take the Chelsea spot from Cech yet, and Cech hasn't been world class for a few years now ...

Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Lets see shall we.

GK Courtius best young keeper in Europe
CB Kompany best CB in Britain IMO
CB Vertonghen definitely among the best in Britain
CDM Witsel amazing player
CM Fellaini ball sticks to him like glue, Man Unitef chasing him
CM De Byrne or Dembelle two more quality players
Winger Mertens just signed by Napoli today, electric pace. Future star.
Winger Hazard well we all know how good he is
CF Benteke has been terrorising defences in England this year

That team has the potential to be among the best in the world

Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Quote:
Lets see shall we.

GK Courtius best young keeper in Europe
CB Kompany best CB in Britain IMO
CB Vertonghen definitely among the best in Britain
CDM Witsel amazing player
CM Fellaini ball sticks to him like glue, Man Unitef chasing him
CM De Byrne or Dembelle two more quality players
Winger Mertens just signed by Napoli today, electric pace. Future star.
Winger Hazard well we all know how good he is
CF Benteke has been terrorising defences in England this year

That team has the potential to be among the best in the world
I don't agree with much that you say there. I said that I think they are a great squad. My issue was specifically with the term WORLD CLASS.

Courtois is one of the best young keepers in Europe. To say THE best there are some who would take issue with that ... Mark-Andre ter Stegen (21), David De Gea (22), Hugo Lloris (26), Manuel Neuer (27). Perhaps the latter two are not "young" any longer though they are by the age keepers play until. But there are many bright young keepers around.

That said - Courtois and Mignolet are both outstanding keepers. Kompany is not among the best in Brittain, he is quite possibly the best in the world. I said, he is clearly world class. Vertonghen is definately "among the best in Brittain" and perhaps knocking on the door of world class, though not there yet. Witsel, Fellaini, De Brunye, Dembelle, Benteke, Lukaku all great players. Hazard potentially world class, or very close to it.

But whereas you said that they are world class everywhere but RB/LB. That is an overstatement of their quality. As I allready said if you re-read my post. They are outstanding and loaded with young talent. They will be exciting to watch and see how far that they can go. I love dark-horse stories and would love to see them go far in some future tournaments. But when you say that virtually the whole roster is world class you are speaking with an overwhelming ammount of hyperbole because they are not there yet.

That doesn't mean that they are not great. Say that they are great. That doesn't mean that they are not exciting. Say that they are exciting. But world class is a term that should mean something, and it generally is used to denote those among the very best at their position in the world. I don't see any outside of Kompany and possibly Eden Hazard who can claim that at this point.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,526 times
All good players, but world class they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer