U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM

4,900 posts, read 3,987,670 times

Advertisements

SO Mexico sends in a team to the Olympics in 2012 that against all predictions, won the gold medal and put us on an all day eating and drinking binge at our favorite Mexican restaurant nearby.

SO then we stop in Mexico on our spring break cruise and buy all sorts of Mexican National Soccer team gear in preparation for the Gold Cup/World Cup because we are fans of Mexico.

Then these guys show up for the Gold Cup that apparently have not played a lot together or something, or they come in expecting to win and fail to put forth an effort or who knows what? They looked like guys playing a pickup game.

now the question is, which team will be competing for the World Cup next year?
The one capable of winning and beating teams like Brazil, or the one that looks like a casual Sunday afternoon pickup game?

Now seriously, I am a new soccer fan. I admit that. I did not get into Soccer until my son started playing it. Now I love watching it. I love going to soccer games, and I see why the world loves the sport. I also admit that I do not quite fully understand how these national teams are picked, how the world cup team will be picked and even when, but I suspect that the guys sent to the Gold Cup are either NOT Mexico's best, or if they are, then Mexico is in for a very short run in the World Cup next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
The Olympic teams are not something that you can base your judgement of the national teams, the Olympics are a mickey mouse tournament as far as football is concerned.

National teams are picked on form and favourtism by the manager, nothing more really.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

245 posts, read 256,625 times
Mexico were doing great until 2012 but other Concacaf teams are also improving and replacing players. Mexico should start looking at their league and test new players.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

782 posts, read 938,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
now the question is, which team will be competing for the World Cup next year?
The one capable of winning and beating teams like Brazil, or the one that looks like a casual Sunday afternoon pickup game?
Mexico have never been on a level with Brazil at the full national team level. The Olympics is a tournament of largely U21/U23 talent, and the tournaments like that can often be won by smaller nations. It's like the FIFA U20 World Cup - which has been won in recent years by teams like Ghana and had finalists such as Ghana, Nigeria, Japan, Uruguay and the Czech Republic - none of which are going to challenge for a World Cup anytime soon.

Mexico's performance at the Gold Cup is hardly surprising given their recent form either. They have only won one single game in this round of World Cup qualifying (and CONCACAF outside of the US and Mexico is rather weak). At this point Mexico are not even a lock to be in the next World Cup, although it is likely. But they are only a point above having to face a playoff to get in.

Quote:
but I suspect that the guys sent to the Gold Cup are either NOT Mexico's best, or if they are, then Mexico is in for a very short run in the World Cup next year.
Both Mexico and the US sent their "B" team to the Gold Cup. However, Mexico's problems didn't start at the Gold Cup. They were poor at the Confed Cup, they have been awful in World Cup qualifying, they can't score, the mystique around their Azteca stadium has dulled quite a bit ... they have serious issues at the moment.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM

782 posts, read 938,335 times
Mexico 1 - 1 Denmark draw at home in a friendly
Mexico 0 - 0 Jamaica - goaless draw at home to the worst team in qualifying who everyone is beating.
Honduras 2 - 2 Mexico - another draw
Mexico 0 - 0 USA - another scoreless draw at home. The Americans have 4 points in the last two games at the formerly feared Azteca.
Mexico 0 - 0 Peru - goaless at home again
Mexico 2 - 2 Nigeria - winless at home again
Jamaica 0 - 1 Mexico - narowly squeak a winner against a terrible Jamaica team
Panama 0 - 0 Mexico - where are the wins?
Mexico 0 - 0 Costa Rica - still can't score at home. Terrible.
Mexico 1 - 2 Italy - that scoreline is kind to Mexico too, Italy badly outplayed them
Brazil 2 - 0 Mexico
Japan 1 - Mexico 2 - hey, they finally win something and score more than a goal ...
Mexico 1 - Panama 2 - up, back to losing though ...
Mexico 2 - Canada 0 - Canada are really, really bad ...
Martinique 1 - Mexico 3 - Martinique are really, really terrible ...
Mexico 1 - 0 Trinidad & Tobago - it may help the overall record, but beating small Caribbean nations does not show power ...
Panama 2 - 1 Mexico - and it's back to form.

5 wins 8 draws 4 losses. 4 of those wins come against Canada and a bunch of tiny Caribbean nations though. Winless at Azteca. 0-6-0 at home this year. 4 of those 6 draws they don't even score a goal in.

Mexico are not very good right now.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,115,000 times
A draw against Jamaica, defeated by Panama, draw against Costa Rica, scored only one goal against Trinidad!

And you think that's good haha.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

245 posts, read 256,625 times
Why ESPN and other channels care much about the Mexican national team and Mexican football even more than USMNT. Why don't they care about football in the whole Concacaf region?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,300,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Why ESPN and other channels care much about the Mexican national team and Mexican football even more than USMNT. Why don't they care about football in the whole Concacaf region?
have you seen the demographics of the usa? there are about 35 million mexicans in the usa 10 times more than any other nationality in the region and sense mexicans are passionate about futbol they are a dependable market. now why the usa national team gets so much coverage that's obvious.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 AM

207 posts, read 274,613 times
Mexico will not make the 2014 WC IMHO. They have zero offense, and next up for El Tri? Costa Rica...better luck in 2018.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 AM

9,034 posts, read 16,464,495 times
dos a cero - it is the destiny

as for Mexico - as much as I'd absolutley love for them to not make it, I just don't see them missing it

They are essentially tied up with Panama right now for that 4th position - I don't see them getting into the top 3, however their next game is to host Panama ........ maybe Panama feels good after a home draw with Mexico during qualifying or the gold cup road win at Mexico ...... I still have a hard time thinking Mexico loses this game

If Panama can get a draw then it gets interesting with Mexico going to Costa Rica and the US going to Panama ..... two teams that are secured and through with little to play for going against teams that would be fighting for their position

That could get fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer