U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to win the WC in Brazil?
Brazil 19 28.79%
Argentina 10 15.15%
Spain 5 7.58%
Germany 21 31.82%
Italy 1 1.52%
Portugal 0 0%
Netherlands 1 1.52%
Other: Please post your option. 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM

148 posts, read 153,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, those are very good players, but the top teams from Europe have 20 or 40 players of similar class.

we will find out i guess, i think the Swiss can play with anybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
Manaus and Cuiaba should be replaced by Goiania, Goias and Florianopolis as WC 2014 cities.
All cities should be within a 10 hour drive from another hosting city imo.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,120 times
South America looks set to dominate the world cup. The only South American team that looks somewhat vulnerable is Ecuador.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
South America looks set to dominate the world cup. The only South American team that looks somewhat vulnerable is Ecuador.
Really? I don't think Uruguay look all that strong either. I put Colombia in the same category as Belgium (dangerous outsiders) and Chile is similar to teams like Sweden or Switzerland (good teams that may cause upsets but not serious contenders for the title). It would be nice to see South America dominating the World Cup as this hasn't happened in almost four decades. The last time South America had more than 1 semi-finalist was all the way back in 1978. For all their hype, South American teams apart from Brazil and Argentina usually crash very early in the tournament. Chile made the SF once in 1962 when the WC was hosted in Chile and Uruguay made the SF once in 1970 and again in 2010 (under very controversial circumstances). I think the home advantage will surely give them a boost, though.

If I had to rank the WC teams in terms of how well I expect them to do at the WC, it would look something like this:

Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain
-------------------------------
Italy, Netherlands
France, Portugal, Belgium, Colombia, Ghana, Uruguay, Croatia
Russia, Sweden, England, Chile, Cote d'Ivoire, Switzerland
Bosnia, United States, Nigeria, Greece, Ukraine, Ecuador, Cameroon
------------------------------
South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Australia, Costa Rica
Iran, Honduras, Iceland (?), New Zealand (?)

Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
LOOL, write off Spain and Germany at your peril!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
IMO

Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany
Netherlands, Belgium
Colombia, Uruguay, England, Italy, Portugal, France
Chile, Russia, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan
Ecuador, USA, Sweden, Croatia, Bosnia, Nigeria
Mexico, Costa Rica, Cameroon, South Korea
Honduras, Algeria, Iran, Australia

Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
My list, I have read about the African teams, but have not actually seen them play...a little more separation just below the top and fat in the middle, then separaion at the bottom half.

Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany
Netherlands, Colombia
Belgium, Italy
Chile, Russia, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan, USA, England, Portugal, France, Uruguay, Bosnia
Croatia, Costa Rica
Ecuador, Sweden, Nigeria
Cameroon, Honduras, Mexico
Algeria, Iran, Australia, South Korea

Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Really? I don't think Uruguay look all that strong either. I put Colombia in the same category as Belgium (dangerous outsiders) and Chile is similar to teams like Sweden or Switzerland (good teams that may cause upsets but not serious contenders for the title). It would be nice to see South America dominating the World Cup as this hasn't happened in almost four decades. The last time South America had more than 1 semi-finalist was all the way back in 1978. For all their hype, South American teams apart from Brazil and Argentina usually crash very early in the tournament. Chile made the SF once in 1962 when the WC was hosted in Chile and Uruguay made the SF once in 1970 and again in 2010 (under very controversial circumstances). I think the home advantage will surely give them a boost, though.

If I had to rank the WC teams in terms of how well I expect them to do at the WC, it would look something like this:

Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain
Italy, Netherlands
France, Portugal, Belgium, Colombia, Ghana, Uruguay, Croatia
Russia, Sweden, England, Chile, Cote d'Ivoire, Switzerland
Bosnia, United States, Nigeria, Greece, Ukraine, Ecuador, Cameroon
South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Australia, Costa Rica
Iran, Honduras, Iceland (?), New Zealand (?)
The Favorites(the teams you bet on to win the whole thing):Brazil,Argentina,Germany,Spain
The Dark Horses(teams with an outside chance of winning the WC:Colombia,Chile,Belgium,France, Uruguay*, Holland)
The No Hopers(traditionally big teams that probably won't do well(they will make the knockouts but won't make it past the semi-finals):Italy,England,Portugal*
The Up set alerts(traditionally smaller teams that could do better than what is typically expected from them but won't win the tournament) Bosnia,Ecuador,USA,Russia
The last Chance Saloon(teams that had golden generations that are ageing and this is their last chance to make an impact): Ivory Coast*,Egypt*,Honduras,Australia
The heartaches(teams that will probably will play some good football but their fate will probably be decided in heart breaking fashion.): Switzerland, Costa Rica, Ukraine*, Sweden*, Ghana*,Greece*,Nigeria*,South Korea,Japan
The Just happy to be here teams(teams with no realistic shot of making it past the group phase and will probably finish bottom): Mexico*,Iran,New Zealand*,Cameroon*,Romania*,Senegal*,Ethiopia*,Bur kina Faso*, Algeria*,Tunisia*,Cameroon*,Jordan*,Iceland*

* Are teams that have not yet qualified.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM

750 posts, read 920,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
The Dark Horses(teams with an outside chance of winning the WC:Colombia,Chile,Belgium,France, Uruguay*, Holland)

* Are teams that have not yet qualified.
Hum.. in your "dark horses" list, the only ones with some remote possibility of winning the WC are France, Uruguay and Holland, but still, I highly doubt it.

The FIFA's decision of selecting the group headers based on the ranking is stupid. Colombia, Chile, Belgium and Switzerland should not be headers. That means we are going to have at least 1 or possibly 2 or even 3 "death groups" with very strong teams within the same group at the group phase.

Bad idea.

Last edited by Indyking; 10-22-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,899 times
Colombia, Chile and Belgium are dark horses to win the WC but Italy is a "no hoper"?

Sometimes I wonder if Miamihurricane is just a football hater who is trolling this forum, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer