U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to win the WC in Brazil?
Brazil 19 28.79%
Argentina 10 15.15%
Spain 5 7.58%
Germany 21 31.82%
Italy 1 1.52%
Portugal 0 0%
Netherlands 1 1.52%
Other: Please post your option. 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM

130 posts, read 201,200 times

Advertisements

"Argentine attack is brilliant, and unparallelled" Oh la la, unparallelled, fancy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,424,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Sophie I think Argentina are great and have a great chance but there is a fine line between being patriotic and your judgement being clouded! Germany are the most clinical and feared team at present.
LOL, this haves nothing to do with being patriotic. I live in the less-patriotic country in the world, here patriotism does not exist, argentinians are known for hating their own country, politicians, etc. Historically, argentinians have liberated all this patriotic energy (that most countries translate in love for their own country) in love for soccer, cause we were actually good at it. But after years of being always promise (arg is always a contender to win it all in the WC) and always failing and failing, fans are still passionate and crazy, but since we ve been burned so hard before its hard for the average argentinian to believe again, even with this outstanding team. And im tired of this mentality cause, for the first time in years, maybe decades, we have the team to WIN IT ALL. We have a good DT (finally!). We have the best player in the world playing wonderfully for the national team, we score a lot of goals per game, and most of our performances of the last 2 years have been excellent. But, since argentinians are burned, they try to be cautious.

Well, i dont. YOU think germany is the most clinical and feared team. I think argentina is without a doubt the best team at present, and it haves nothing to do with patriotism, it actually haves to do with watching THIS team (not Maradonas team, not Copa America 2011 team) play for the last 2 years. Do yourself a favour and watch the games (friendlies and qualies) that Argentina have played in 2012 and 2013 and then come back and say they are not the best team in the world. I suspect you saying this haves to do with you not seeing this team play, cause if you have, you wouldnt be saying this.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
The best team in the world? They can't beat Bolivia or Ecuador and haven't won the world cup for in 30 years, you haven't even won the Copa America in 20 years?

Sophie I agree with 99% of your opinions, but not this one I am afraid. We will agree to disagree

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The best team in the world? They can't beat Bolivia or Ecuador and haven't won the world cup for in 30 years, you haven't even won the Copa America in 20 years?

Sophie I agree with 99% of your opinions, but not this one I am afraid. We will agree to disagree
what does PAST teams have to do with anything? im talking about THIS team. Like i said, not even Maradonas team, or copa america 2011 team. Im taking about Sabelllas team (wich i presume you havent watched) that have played CONSISTENTLY amazing in the last 2 years. Im taking about the number 2 team in the world that has already qualified early to the WC in the hardest qualy in the world, and have beat incredibly difficult teams with authority and lots of goals. Man, you are taking as if Argentina was equatorial guinea or tahiti in futbol, and not a superpower, with the best attack in the world and Messi!!! I mean, im taking about Argentina here, hello. Have you watched them play under Sabella coaching? have you watched them in southamerican qualys??

And its funny you use BOLIVIA and ECUADOR as an example, its actually hilarious but didnt you know Bolivia plays at 4,000 meters above sea level??? do you know that argentinians travel there one day before and cant barely breath when they are in the field?? have you seen pictures of di maria and messi with the breathing devices??? Quito is also very high and very difficult. You are using examples in where is known it requires time to get used to those conditions and Argentina have ALWAYS lost in La Paz, historically, cause theres no way a group of players can get used to play with no air in only one day. Does this mean Bolivia is equal as Argentina cause we tied that game? Of course not and you know it. Argentina has win MOST of the games of the qualys, has scored more than 30 goals, has more than +20 goal difference, the top 2 goal scoarers of south american qualys are argentinians (messi with 10 goals and higuain with 8) and has LEAD an impecable road to the WC, an amazing campaing, playing wonderfully, while Bolivia is at the bottom of the table, few wins, no chance to make it to the WC.
Are you really comparing Bolivia/Ecuador to Argentina in terms of futbol power?? Cause you do know that is ridiculous, dont you?

Plus, if you wanna talk about RECENT results, Germany just TIED with ParaguaY: the WORST southamerican team in conmebol (they are currently last with only 11 points and no chance to make it, they are even behind Bolivia), and Argentina just DESTROYED Paraguay 5-2. Does this means Argentina is gonna walk over Germany as easy as they did with Paraguay cause Ger and Par tied?? Of course not. Cause Germany is clearly better than Paraguay. See how your arguments are flawed?

But even when i used that comparison, when Par and Ger tied, Germany wasnt playing at 4,000 above sea level, they were playing at equal field and the supposed "best team in the world" couldnt beat the worse team in conmebol that got trashed by almost every southamerican team. Even the best teams can have off days. Plus, you cant use the only "negative" results argentina had (wich werent even negative cause arg historically loses in La Paz and this time we tied) to put as an example: use the impressive wins against venezuela, chile, uruguay, brazil, italy, sweden, etc, etc, etc

Here you have the results of Argentina 2012 and 2013:http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:P...l_de_Argentina

there you have the victory over Italy (wich was like 2 weeks ago and without Messi and Aguero), over sweden, over venezuela, over paraguay, guatemala (all 4-0, btw) the battle in EQUAL FIELD against ecuador wich argentina won 4-0 (and then they tied in the height in quito), victory over uruguay 3-0, and even a victory against GERMANY in germay in august of 2012. I mean, seriously.

Like i said, use real, CURRENT, stadistics: right now, Argentina is a better team than anyone in the world and i just prove it.

Maybe you should just watch a game of the current Sabella team and stop thinking we are the same than with Maradona (who cant coach to save his life cause he is a coke-addict nutjob), and wake up cause we are in the best form than we ever been and Messi has been scoring every game in the last 2 years (and if he doesnt score, Higuain does. Or Aguero. See how that works? Killer attack ). So watch out and get real!

Actually, you make me go and read stats to show you and do you know how many goals Messi scored under Sabella??

He has scored 20 goals in 22 games! wow, i didnt thought they were so many!!! 20 goals in only 2 years with the NT!! I mean, he almost scored every game, it is impressive!

This is a non thriumphant article about why argentina qualified as great as it did and why its different than Maradonas team:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...hp_module_news

there are also hundres of international articles about how argentina will win it all, but i just wanted to show you a descriptive one, this doesnt say "argentina will win it all" (like many non argentinian journalist say) but it objectively shows argentina progress in the last 2 years.

Argentina was a mess in last WC, and in last copa america. 2010 and 2011 were a shame for us. We had the players, the talent, but it just wasnt clicking (and the lack of coach clearly helped in this), But now, we finally puted it together, and the destiny we always had (that is: being WC champions, cause thats what we all always believed will happen) has finally arrived. And in brazil!! Its just ideal: our bigger rivals nation that its also so close that it feels like home....but its not (we will be like locals without the pressure of being locals. win win).

I believe the only other nation that stands a chance apart from Argentina, is Brasil. Cause they are locals and they are Brasil, and you can never underestimate Brasil in futbol. The final will be Brasil-Argentina, the biggest world rivalry, and, frankly, the final everyone wants. And, in the end, the bigger talent (Argentina) will prevail and it will be Messis glory. You know this will happen

Last edited by SophieLL; 09-13-2013 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 AM
B87

11,248 posts, read 7,532,689 times
England

Spain or Brazil. Hopefully not Argentina .

Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 AM

Why??

to paull:

if you wanna see some nice goals:

ARGENTINA goals world cup 2014 - YouTube

or just go to youtube and see how we destroyed every southamerican or european or american or team form wherever that we had in front of us in 2012 and 2013. I didnt even remember most of our victories were SO impressive. It is amazing to be able to see a team like this. This is the first time i ve seen argentina winning so easily and with so many goals since i was born.....and i ve been following the world cup since i was a little girl and my grandfather made me cheeer for Maradona!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 AM
B87

11,248 posts, read 7,532,689 times
I'm English....it is impossible for me to support Argentina in football. I even wanted Germany to win when the two sides met at the last World Cup .

Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM

You seriously think no one has a chance except Argentina and Brazil??

Not long now, we will have to wait and see Sophie but I think a European team will win PERSONALLY. You are of course entitled to your opinion though.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I'm English....it is impossible for me to support Argentina in football. I even wanted Germany to win when the two sides met at the last World Cup .
oh, im argentinian and i love the english! english culture, english music (best in the world, imo), english literature, english people, London! No rivalry at all.

And in futbol, oh well, i dont wanna be mean but our rivals are actually Brasil and Germany, mostly. Brasil, our historic rival, and Germany cause they have been kicking us out of every world cup lately. Then, Spain. Maybe Uruguay for being brothers and all.
But i think at this point no one considers england a serious contender against argentina. They are not at the same level.

I mean, despite personal preferences clearly the best 4 teams in the world are Spain, Germany, Argentina and Brasil, and the rest is just in other level. The winner be probably be among those 4, but i think ARG-BRA have advantage and home soil is only one of the reasons.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Why didn't they win in South Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer